Teardown of iPad 3G shows Apple using LCD frame as an antenna

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vingmoo View Post

That is incredible. How do they figure that stuff out.

Davies

Online Anonymity

If something can be put together, it can be taken apart.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    ricmacricmac Posts: 65member
    I'm a writer.

I'm real.

So........... damn, guess I can't use this here new iPad I gots me.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

When these people say "gingerly", I'll assume they mean something on par with neurosurgery.

I thought of South Park red heads
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

If something can be put together, it can be taken apart.

Really? Thanks for the Humpty Dumpty refresher.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The only thing I keep thinking when I look at these teardown pictures is why the heck they didn't make a more useable, smaller version of the iPad at the same time? Take out one of those batteries and shrink the case (it's half empty anyway), and you'd have a paperback sized device you could actually type on comfortably while standing up which has always been one of the central and yet elusive goals of tablet computing.

Ask any real writer what they think of the iPad and they'll tell you it's really only okay for the occasional typing task. Something a bit smaller that you can actually thumb-type on would enable proper portable computing, and allow you to actually be productive instead of just watching crappy movies or play games on the couch.

While it is probably not 'writers' that mostly need to type while standing or on the go, I agree that a slimmer and lighter iPad would have been a killer. Even for emailing purposes, messages and responses would be more in depth if one could easily type on the large screen of the iPad when standing.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    chronartchronart Posts: 19member
    GPS antenna? Has it got real GPS not wifi.

My first take is that positioning on my 3G is very good.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    GPS is space based therefore satellite no?
    Quote:

The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a satellite-based navigation system made up of a network of 24 satellites placed into orbit by the U.S. Department of Defense. GPS was originally intended for military applications, but in the 1980s, the government made the system available for civilian use. GPS works in any weather conditions, anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day. There are no subscription fees or setup charges to use GPS.

WiFi location = IP based location services. However there is satellite internet so Hmmmmm

But normally GPS means satellite and WiFi is terra IP.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Be wary of such generalizations as *any real writer*. I just finished listening to the MacBreak Weekly podcast where one real writer said that he now uses only the screen keyboard for all production typing on his iPad, and leaves his Apple Bluetooth keyboard at home. He said he adapted quite nicely, thank you. I guess he must write sitting down.

There must be pseudo-writers and semi-writers and quasi-writers, etc.

What picks my attention also are related terms used when some try to "impress others" of the universality of their POV:

Everyone in the world... and variants everybody, all,

and the opposites:

nobody, no one, nothing ...

And among a number of politicians...

The American people (or some other nationality) ...

I want to voice:

What about me?

when I feel left out in the overreaching generalization.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well! Harumph! You're obviously not a "real writer".... Everyone knows that a "real writer" needs to use a "proper OS" to be productive!

... I guess, like the bee, no one 'splained to you that it is impossible for you to fly!

So, stop it, immediately!

You forgot to add real "professional computers"...

Then you have the infamous verdict, before it was even in some people's hands:

"The iPad is ONLY for consuming NOT for creating content."

CGC
  • Reply 29 of 35
    chronartchronart Posts: 19member
    I just tried a new location and again it seems amazingly accurate. I can track myself moving around the apartment.

But my real question is, the breakdown review says it has a GPS antenna, separate from the 3G antenna. Is the reviewer confused?

Only the 3G antenna would be necessary for the pseudo GPS. Right?
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I have both iPads. I have to say the signal seems about the same with both on wifi. However, the 3G reception compared to my iPhone is so much better I noticed it instantly. Areas where my phone looses service my iPad has signal.

Would you be so kind to provide a side-by-side photo of the two iPads (front and back)...

Thanks.

I did not have a chance yet to go to the Apple Store.

CGC
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

They have. It's called the iPod Touch. It's unlikely they'd scale down the iPad, as it'd then just be an iPod.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yes and no. There's a pretty big gap between the 10" and 3.5" sizes.

Apple doesn't seem to like making a lot of variations, unless it's iPod nanos, then they'll go nuts and maintain 18 permutations.

More than likely, the iPad is a form that may lend itself to size optimization to adopt to the needs of various fields and functions. However, if I remember correctly, Apple has started with a single size model with a number of its products:
    • Mac Classic (?)

• iMac (size and color)

• Mac Cube

• Clamshell Notebook

• iPod

• iPhone

• iPad

If Apple were to create variations, usually it would be in the succeeding generations.

From a marketing point of view, it is far more effective to focus the attention, educate and persuade the target consumer if there is only one variant. This may be even more critical for the iPad because it was a hard sell from the get go -- it was perceived as a product looking for a niche between an iPhone and the "real" computer.

There are also a number of technical reasons for this decision:
    1. The first generation is seldom ever perfect. [That is why I usually buy the second generation.]

2. Creating size variants is not a simple case of scaling if one considers the "internal design" with respect to interrelation and interconnectivity of the components, as well as the production line, especially if you have to estimate the popularity (or lack thereof) of each size variant.

Just in time (?) inventory policy

A much simpler example this is the popularity of the rainbow colored iPods, all other specifications were the same (except perhaps the capacity???). This color variation was not introduced in the first generation of the iPod. If I remember correctly, some iPod colors did not sell well. It is very costly to have excess inventory.

CGC
  • Reply 32 of 35
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Does anyone know if this means we can tap into the frame with an external antenna and increase signal strength?

I guess this would require unscrewing something which would immediately void warranty though, right?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Seems odd to use two different antennas for cell. Are we sure that the one attached to the LCD frame is a discrete antenna and not a ground plane? I know my iPhone gets better reception with the USB cable plugged into the computer by virtue of the ground plane effect.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yes and no. There's a pretty big gap between the 10" and 3.5" sizes.

Apple doesn't seem to like making a lot of variations, unless it's iPod nanos, then they'll go nuts and maintain 18 permutations.

Nano's won't cannibalize sales from the iPod Touch and the iPad like a mid-tier iPad would do.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Ask any real writer what they think of the iPad and they'll tell you it's really only okay for the occasional typing task. Something a bit smaller that you can actually thumb-type on would enable proper portable computing, and allow you to actually be productive instead of just watching crappy movies or play games on the couch.

All this talk of real writers reminds me of a trivia night I went to at a biology lab. I was at a table with one biologist and the rest computer scientists (we do bioinformatics). The biologist asserted he was the only "real" scientist in our group. "Right," I said, "the rest of us are integer scientists."

If you don't get it, carry on talking iPods ...