Adobe to respond to Apple by giving employees Android phones with Flash

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 136
    Not all Mac users hate Adobe or Adobe products. Some of them are amazing.

So I hope Adobe don't turn this product turf war into something that alienates it's loyal Mac users just because they're on the mac platform and have one legacy product that won't cut it in the mobile world.
  • Reply 122 of 136
    I'm willing to bet that Apple can back up that claim with crash report statistics. In fact, I'm almost positive I've seen those statistics, but it may be Windows I'm thinking of. In any case, I remember distinctly that Adobe was, no doubt, number one on the list of crashes.
  • Reply 123 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrooksT View Post

Sucks to be an Adobe employee about now. Hopefully they're not forced to actually *use* the Android phone.

LOL I was thinking the same thing...I'm sure a lot of employees have iPhones already.
  • Reply 124 of 136
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    This article and the vast majority of the responses to it are just pathetic. If you actually separate out the "facts," you're left with maybe 2 sentences.

First, the article sets itself up as click bait with an inflammatory title. Is there actually any evidence that Apple's slamming of Flash has anything to do with Adobe giving out the phones? No, just the coincidence of dates. Adobe may have planning to give these out for months when Flash 10.1 was ready, you know, to celebrate what is intended to be an important release for Adobe.

Second, the article doesn't really have much in the facts beyond the fact that Adobe will be giving some phone to some people. Who are they giving them to? Unknown. What phone are they giving them? Unknown. Why are they giving them out? Unknown. They may only be going to Flash 10.1 developers to test them out in the real world. Maybe they're going out to execs as only as a free perk. Maybe Adobe employees get a free phone with every bottle of Coke purchased from the break room soda machines.

And for an article so lacking in substance, we also get the requisite comments lacking in substance. Flash sux. Google sux. Blah, blah, blah...maybe somebody here should actually use the product before bashing it. Everyone here gets up in arms when an article bashes an unreleased Apple product but it's open season on anyone or anything going against Apple. Silly, ridiculous nonsense.
  • Reply 125 of 136
    krakajapkrakajap Posts: 29member
    Is this supposed to be some kind of "ha ha" to Apple and a slap in the face to consumers??? WTF?! Instead of releasing a fully functional and quality Flash for mobile devices, they decide to work on one particular device and ONLY give it to employees?! And how exactly is this supposed to help their public image right now?
  • Reply 126 of 136
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KrakaJap View Post

Is this supposed to be some kind of "ha ha" to Apple and a slap in the face to consumers??? WTF?! Instead of releasing a fully functional and quality Flash for mobile devices, they decide to work on one particular device and ONLY give it to employees?! And how exactly is this supposed to help their public image right now?

In my view, it's only for the developers to test their software on "real world" devices, instead of a software emulator. I wouldn't be surprised if they give them the whole range of devices from the Hero up to an Incredible (if they can get their hands on one) just to see how their Flash code runs on a representative sample of Android devices out there.

And you should be saying "one particular OS" instead of device. Apple has made it clear that it won't allow anything Flash on their products. WP7 is still "in development" and webOS just got purchased by HP, so it's path forward is unclear. That leaves Android as the only other option.
  • Reply 127 of 136
    ogmudboneogmudbone Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KrakaJap View Post

Apple passed on it so now adobe is focusing mostly on Android. This is a problem, Apple could of just gave it's users the option of using flash. Adobe even had a feature in CS5 to convert flash programs to iPhone Apps, which could of been a huge tool to a lot of app developers. Now all this is being trailered to Android, and if more major developers switch to Android we could see innovation on the iPhone slow down, while Android becomes the more advanced platform. Yes there will always be devoted Apple fans who will buy the iPhone OS even if there is little software that supports it, sort of like OS X today, it will only take 5-10% market share. Apple would probably still make a lot of money of such a niche market but I would really prefer there to be a good proprietary competitor to Android in the future, otherwise we risk Android dominating the market like Windows did, which would be horrible for consumers.

You can only push a brand name so far, and as some have admitted it does look like Android is evolving faster, if Apple keeps pushing away these innovations from other companies, they'll pretty much become the Bose of phones. Selling an inferior product only because of marketing and brand perception, be it at high margins and profit. Still good for Apple shareholders, bad for consumers, as the only good mobile OS would be android. I essentially had no option to switch to android as I needed features that Apple wouldn't allow. But there are a lot of times I wish Google would take more control. Apple is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum and needs to really loosen up. They still have a great platform but theres only so much they control, it worked early on to keep Apps exclusive, but as they become a bigger market power its time to open up a little, or android WILL pass them up in both capability and market share.
  • Reply 128 of 136
    sticknicksticknick Posts: 123member
    Jobs made his case. He's probably going to do the right thing and sit back and let Adobe act like a spoiled child.

So far so good.

A agree with another commenter here. Adobe has gone astray since Chizen stepped down. They really need to oust Narayen and get back on track.
  • Reply 129 of 136
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    This sends the wrong message at the worst possible time for Adobe. It gives the impression that Adobe needs to reassure their own employees of the competence of Flash. If they had done this prior to Job's statement it could've been portrayed as a sincere gesture of commitment to their employees and platform. And then add to that the fact they can't easily determine which phone to offer - they're practically adding the post script for Steve Jobs to his statement.
  • Reply 130 of 136
    qualiaqualia Posts: 73member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ogmudbone View Post

Apple passed on it so now adobe is focusing mostly on Android. This is a problem, Apple could of just gave it's users the option of using flash. Adobe even had a feature in CS5 to convert flash programs to iPhone Apps, which could of been a huge tool to a lot of app developers. Now all this is being trailered to Android, and if more major developers switch to Android we could see innovation on the iPhone slow down, while Android becomes the more advanced platform. Yes there will always be devoted Apple fans who will buy the iPhone OS even if there is little software that supports it, sort of like OS X today, it will only take 5-10% market share. Apple would probably still make a lot of money of such a niche market but I would really prefer there to be a good proprietary competitor to Android in the future, otherwise we risk Android dominating the market like Windows did, which would be horrible for consumers.

You can only push a brand name so far, and as some have admitted it does look like Android is evolving faster, if Apple keeps pushing away these innovations from other companies, they'll pretty much become the Bose of phones. Selling an inferior product only because of marketing and brand perception, be it at high margins and profit. Still good for Apple shareholders, bad for consumers, as the only good mobile OS would be android. I essentially had no option to switch to android as I needed features that Apple wouldn't allow. But there are a lot of times I wish Google would take more control. Apple is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum and needs to really loosen up. They still have a great platform but theres only so much they control, it worked early on to keep Apps exclusive, but as they become a bigger market power its time to open up a little, or android WILL pass them up in both capability and market share.

Regarding specs and "features," Apple has always been inferior. But regarding the entire experience of its products, Apple has a competitive advantage that might never be diminished no matter how desperately Google tries to ape them. That's the difference between Apple and everybody else: everybody else is obsessed with specs and brand new features and politics while Apple is obsessed with the experience. What do most people care about: whether something is under the GPL or has the most useless features (reminiscent of MS Office) or whether it works well or not?
  • Reply 131 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Qualia View Post

Regarding specs and "features," Apple has always been inferior. But regarding the entire experience of its products, Apple has a competitive advantage that might never be diminished no matter how desperately Google tries to ape them. That's the difference between Apple and everybody else: everybody else is obsessed with specs and brand new features and politics while Apple is obsessed with the experience. What do most people care about: whether something is under the GPL or has the most useless features (reminiscent of MS Office) or whether it works well or not?

This is true, the iPhone OS is a very refined and fluid, however android is not too far behind. All the desktop features like widgets and especially the sense UI on the latest Droid Incredible make it work very, very well. This and the fact that it seems to features gap between the two are only growing larger. Apple is trying to keep complete control over their walled garden, even as this garden grows into a rain forest. Their control does keep the user experience free from bugs and incompatibilities, however at some point it starts to hinder growth, and actually degrades the user experience.

HTML 5 is years from replacing flash. The droid incredible sold today supports flash content, be it slightly choppy, the batter life is pretty good. By next year who knows that hardware these phones will have, (2GHz, more refined flash player, high capacity batteries). We are at a time when closed systems that worked on ipods will not work on networked phones that are approaching laptops in computing power. Allowing the download of flash would only enhance the user who want its experience, while not effecting those who don't.

I'm not looking at this from a profitability stand point, it does make sense for Apple to try to prevent back doors to the App Store. However they are simply restricting features, which is bad for all iPhone customers. Banned technologies with out having any sort of replacement for its features will only degrade users experience. There is no advantage to not even having the option of having flash.
  • Reply 132 of 136
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ogmudbone View Post

This is true, the iPhone OS is a very refined and fluid, however android is not too far behind.

I guess that's true - if you ignore all the shortcomings. Did you even read the other articles on this site about how few Android owners upgrade their OS because of fragmentation problems? Android is a mess - and it's starting to come back to bite them.
  • Reply 133 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I guess that's true - if you ignore all the shortcomings. Did you even read the other articles on this site about how few Android owners upgrade their OS because of fragmentation problems? Android is a mess - and it's starting to come back to bite them.

Have you used an android phone? A lot of reviews of the latest Droid incredible claim that Android 2.1 + the sense UI was actually a superior user experience compared to the iPhone OS and WebOS. Fragmentation is not a huge issue with newer Android handsets, updating isn't as good as the iPhone's, mostly because major updates are delayed about a month. Android is a really competitive platform, to say its a mess is simply untrue. The only other shortcoming compared to the iPhone is the number of apps and possibly the default media player, however there are a lot of alternatives on the Android market and the web. While their are other shortcomings of the iPhone OS, mostly because of Apple created restrictions, like lack of flash, better browsers/media software choices, slowly updated hardware, no multi-tasking, and lack of customization, plus missing useful UI elements like widgets, a desktop, and the notification/app bar. Each platforms have their strengths an weaknesses, I just think the iPhone OS could be much better, the best, if Apple would loosen up, then we could have technologies like flash on a secure proprietary platform, rather then let android fill in the gaps the iPhone OS doesn't.
  • Reply 134 of 136
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    ...And second prize is: two Android phones with Flash!

• Reply 135 of 136
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or if you make the mountain out of an anthill of these "shortcomings". Latest metrics from Google show Android at roughly 1/3 for each 1.5, 1.6, and 2.1. 1.5 and 1.6 are on the path down and 2.1 on the path up. Considering the vast number of Android devices out there, 3 OS versions isn't actually too bad. A "mess" it's definitely not.

The issue with Android currently is attributed to the fast development pace Google set getting Android to the point it's at now. Did you even read about how Google plans to slow down its revision pace in the future? Or how they plan on separating out the core of Android to update so it makes it easier for manufacturers to update their GUIs and the carriers to test? Once the core is considered "mature", major version updates will likely happen once a year.

You might also notice that the vast majority of new Android phones are releasing with 2.1 right out of the gate. And their hardware specs are roughly similar as well. In the long-run, it seems that Android is starting to converge.

But back on track. I found this item.

http://zedomax.com/blog/2010/05/04/a...-web-2-0-expo/

It's short and you might raise all kinds of questions to if it's a real YouTube page it's running and not a pre-made demo page. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Seems like Adobe and Google are doing something right.
  • Reply 136 of 136
    yu119995yu119995 Posts: 26member
    Hey, is the Motorola Milestone a bad phone? I mean, it's Android based and runs 2.1, but does that make it an inferior device? Just curious.