Apple announces iPad sales top 1 million in less than a month

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Nice. I was guessing maybe a bit higher. Around 1.2 million but then Apple would have announced it right when it happened.

They said Friday. they didn't say at what point. since all the stores shut down for at least an hour, they could have polled sales during that time, making it 1 million on wifi models.

Another 200-300k on 3g models isn't that insane if you include online

as for the timing of the announcement they often link to major events plus would need time to calculate etc. so it's not a shock they didn't have some timer going online or such.

what I can't wait for is when this thing goes international. that could be some serious numbers
  • Reply 62 of 102
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You can use iTunes Home Sharing to share your iTunes Library between computers, including apps. This way each iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad can have a different iTunes account and still use the apps purchased by the main account authorized by Home Sharing. As far as I know, there is no limit on the number of devices. Also, if you have an iPad and you are away from your computer and you want to download an already purchased app you can purchase it again without being charged. Apple will not charge you twice for the same app as long as you use the same original iTunes account.

I wonder if this will apply in a small business setting, and if there is a total device limit as noted by one of the responses.

I was looking at some of the applications I wanted, some are not cheap, and one I know even has a monthly charge. The monthly charge is even more costly, in the long run. I am tempted to look for some developers to help create such customized Apps.

CGC
  • Reply 63 of 102
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I wonder if this will apply in a small business setting, and if there is a total device limit as noted by one of the responses.

I was looking at some of the applications I wanted, some are not cheap, and one I know even has a monthly charge. The monthly charge is even more costly, in the long run. I am tempted to look for some developers to help create such customized Apps.

CGC

If you are looking at large scale deployment then it is a different story. One way is to contact one of those app developers and make a deal with them. They could ask you to sign up for iPhone Developer Enterprise Program, which will allow for in-house distribution. Then they could create a customized apps for your company. However, this will only be cost effective if we talking large enough setup. You will need to do the math to make sure it is economical.
  • Reply 64 of 102
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

I'm still torn over the 3G though. We vacation a couple of times a year and that's about the only time I'll need 3G coverage

no contract, no ETF. buy it when you need it. shut it down when you don't.

Quote:

There might be a different set of people who would prefer one or the other. I won't be surprised if there would be those who will have both.

you can't make calls on the ipad, not to mention that a number of apps are developing controller modes for the iphone/touch to make use of having two devices

Quote:

It is true that it will be used a lot at home. But, imagine how useful this would be to quiet kids (games, movies, cartoons, etc.) in the back seat of the car while on long trips, or even just the usual routine of going around each day.

Travelers who would want to watch movies, do some light work, or editing notes, etc. while cooped up in the plane, waiting in terminals. It will be good to take notes, presentations, etc. during conferennces.

e-textbooks

hospitals using remote access software for bedside data retrieval and updating

on set PDA for filming, news stations etc

POS for farmer's markets, flea markets etc

I even saw a guy on the promenade here with an ipad doing those cartoon portraits and emailing them to buyers. making money hand over fist.

there's lots you can do with it. if you have the imagination

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantinian View Post

Does anybody know how the first Netbook sold during its first 2 months of availability?

It was the Asus Eee PC and it sold 300,000 units between October 27th and the end of of 2007.

so twice as long to see 1/3 the product. makes the ipad sound pretty good sales wise
  • Reply 65 of 102
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    i am from spain and we already have ipad here (the USA wifi version)
  • Reply 66 of 102
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    In less than 1 month, 1M iPads got sold in the US. In the next 2 months till the end of the June quarter, another 500K could be sold especially with new apps. Overseas market is more than 50% of Apple sales. So another 1M iPads could be sold worldwide, especially since no contract is needed. The $500 for the 16GB, WiFi iPad is affordable for the upper middle class worldwide.

I would say, 2-2.5M sales for the June Q? If Apple can get them manufactured.
  • Reply 67 of 102
    crawdad62crawdad62 Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dominiej View Post

i

Steve Jobs (or you) is an idiot to think 1 million iPads are functioning solely here in the US. I'd say only 50% are here in the states...

I'd have to agree in the assumption that all 1 million iPad aren't soley in the US but I'd also find it hard to believe that 50% if them are abroad.
  • Reply 68 of 102
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Right... but I actually don't have a laptop (just a useless 9 year old iBook G3 that was only used for web and email before the iPad... and the odd client meeting when we absolutely HAD to have a computer for the meeting). I have a 27" iMac paired with a 27" external monitor for serious media creation and the iPad is used for casual use... web/email on the couch... client meetings at the local cafe... etc. So for me at least... I don't really need any storage space on the iPad. It's used at home 90% of the time. And even outside the home... it would only be used for meetings and travel. So I don't need a whole library of movies, photos and video for that. For travel, I just take what I need for the trip (some tunes and a movie or two) plus all my apps of course and maybe an eBook or two... but they take no space.

This is me too. Except I have an original intel MacBook (had a G3 though) and 20" iMac, a 3Gs iPhone and don't do any media creation.

Will get a 3g iPad for presentation purposes...show my website, put reports in Keynote, etc., even though there is overlap with my iPhone and laptop. Don't relish the thought of giving ATT another $15-$30 a month though. Oh, well 'cost of doing business,' I guess!

My iPhone already replaces 80% of what my laptop does but have grown tired of viewing email on the small screen though. With the iPad sounds like it will replace about 95% of what I do on my laptop. Looking fwd to not lugging my laptop around and having 10hrs of battery life instead of 3hrs (MacBook)
  • Reply 69 of 102
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Good job Apple!
  • Reply 70 of 102
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:

I hope that is the case. Some business and biomedical applications Apps are not cheap. They add up as you add more units.

When I got a price quote from of Apple though, I got the impression though that I have to pay per device for each of the IWorks (for the iPad) component softwares, so I am not sure if that is the case with the other Apps

Actually this is what I wanted to clarify. Do you and your wife share the same account, i.e., some sort of a family account, and pay just "one" even if ported into several portable devices? I am indeed considering a server as a common porting device.

CGC

I actually have been doing tis since ".Mac" came out and currently use one account on:

1 x iphone 1G, 2 x iphone 3G

2 x ipad 3G

2 x Macbook Air

1 x Apple TV

with 5 email aliases (my wife, myself, 2 for business, and one for those annoying online registrations)

The only hitch is in using multiple computers with itunes. To deal with this you need to setup your itunes library somewhere accessible to be shared, i.e. on an Apple Timecapsule not limited by your IP's router. This allows you to keep the computers in sync through the ipv6 tunneling to the TC (when away from home) and reduces the manual copying between the laptops.

If you are only planning to use one computer for your itunes library than the one account works exceptionally!! It is really good for syncing mail, calendar, notes, todos, contacts, and documents (on idisk) without any user effort between all of our devices.

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 71 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I don't think so. People know that they need some memory. The first iPhone started with 4GB and 8GB. The 4GB was dumped shortly after.

It's not about how much memory you want, it's about how much you can afford, we all want to drive cars with 300 horses in the engine but we cant, and it doesn't matter about progression in standard memory because apple keeps prices consistent overall and upgrades as memory gets cheaper, just like any other piece of technology/engineering. I have a friend at AT&T and he tells me the smaller memory Iphones always sell the fastest/most, and we all know the 13" macbooks are the biggest sellers of their laptop line. Why? because the lower class is always bigger than the middle/upper class and they are pretty price sensitive.
  • Reply 72 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

In less than 1 month, 1M iPads got sold in the US. In the next 2 months till the end of the June quarter, another 500K could be sold especially with new apps. Overseas market is more than 50% of Apple sales. So another 1M iPads could be sold worldwide, especially since no contract is needed. The $500 for the 16GB, WiFi iPad is affordable for the upper middle class worldwide.

I would say, 2-2.5M sales for the June Q? If Apple can get them manufactured.

Examine your assumptions again. If they are correct, the upper end may be a bit low, assuming the sales will go worldwide beyond the countries announced for end of May.

The actual number may be closer to your prediction because it took "forever" for Apple to role out the iPhone worldwide. More than likely, Apple would be rolling out in other parts of the world during the July-September and October to December quarters.

There is a great incentive for Apple to accelerate the process for iPad, if it is to gain a competetive edge against the companies planning to roll out their version of the tablet. It may even use its experience with the iPhone to accelerate the process of iPad release worldwide.

CGC
  • Reply 73 of 102
    Quote:

I don't think so. People know that they need some memory. The first iPhone started with 4GB and 8GB. The 4GB was dumped shortly after.

speak of the devil

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...placement.html
  • Reply 74 of 102
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Examine your assumptions again. If they are correct, the upper end may be a bit low, assuming the sales will go worldwide beyond the countries announced for end of May.

The actual number may be closer to your prediction because it took "forever" for Apple to role out the iPhone worldwide. More than likely, Apple would be rolling out in other parts of the world during the July-Septembeer and October to December quarters.

There is a great incentive for Apple to accelerate the process for iPad, if it is to gain a competetive edge against the companies planning to roll out their version of the tablet. It may even use its experience with the iPhone to accelerate the process of iPad release worldwide.

CGC

I think it's starting to look like how many they sell in the June quarter is going to depend entirely on their manufacturing capacity. They've managed to sell 1m in the US only in the past month and there are none in stock anywhere, suggesting their manufacturing capacity is around 1m per month.

Now I'm sure they are trying to increase that, but it's not something that can happen overnight. Given the success thus far though, I suspect they are going to sell just as many as they can make - this is proving to be a remarkable device.
  • Reply 75 of 102
    Quote:

I would find it even more interesting which size people are going for. I would think 32GB most, then 64GB and then 16GB. I would think they will dump the 16GB model quite quickly and then stay with just two sizes.

Quote:

speak of the devil

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...placement.html
  • Reply 76 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

If you are looking at large scale deployment then it is a different story. One way is to contact one of those app developers and make a deal with them. They could ask you to sign up for iPhone Developer Enterprise Program, which will allow for in-house distribution. Then they could create a customized apps for your company. However, this will only be cost effective if we talking large enough setup. You will need to do the math to make sure it is economical.

It is too early to tell how big it could be. If I only have a good background in software engineering. I could do the development myself. I am considering collaboration with individual developers who is familiar with the language used for the Apple Apps. Some of the biomedical Apps I am interested with specific for "assisted living" market are not the same apps being developed for the hospitals. So, technically, they could be sold also to others, if they are created.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

I actually have been doing tis since ".Mac" came out and currently use one account on:

1 x iphone 1G, 2 x iphone 3G

2 x ipad 3G

2 x Macbook Air

1 x Apple TV

with 5 email aliases (my wife, myself, 2 for business, and one for those annoying online registrations)

The only hitch is in using multiple computers with itunes. To deal with this you need to setup your itunes library somewhere accessible to be shared, i.e. on an Apple Timecapsule not limited by your IP's router. This allows you to keep the computers in sync through the ipv6 tunneling to the TC (when away from home) and reduces the manual copying between the laptops.

If you are only planning to use one computer for your itunes library than the one account works exceptionally!! It is really good for syncing mail, calendar, notes, todos, contacts, and documents (on idisk) without any user effort between all of our devices.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. This info gives me some ideas.

I encountered the issue about the iTunes. I had it in my laptop initially but ran out of storage space. So, I moved it into a 375Gb external drive. It also run out of memory because I was using it also for raw data for photos and other stuff. So, I moved it again to another external drive. It is mess right now. I have not even uploaded my own CD library

When I buy the new notebook, and the iPad, I may also buy the server to be the designated site of the iTunes.

CGC
  • Reply 77 of 102
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    What will be really interesting is if there is a product launch stagger thru the entire summer for the rest of the world, but next April when iPad 2 comes out they manage a simultaneous worldwide launch. Has the iPhone had simultaneous worldwide launches yet? I ask b/c I'm honestly not sure and I'm on a call at work or I'd look for myself
  • Reply 78 of 102
    calguycalguy Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin Winsness View Post

One million without 3G or international sales????? By Christmas time I think we will be sitting at around 5-6 million sold!

With international sales and xmas still to come this year, I bet they will sell over 10 million iPads by years end. I want to be the first to say it.

I reread the posts and MacTel predicts 12 million... Ok, I will go along with that. YEA!
  • Reply 79 of 102
    takeotakeo Posts: 447member
    I fully agree! And I use my iPad outside the home for all of those things as well (aside from the kids... no kids).... great for notes, presentations, meetings, movies, etc. in coffee shops, planes, airport terminals... etc... but the conversation was about storage capacity and again... for all of the above use cases... 16GB is plenty. You only need a movie or two or three for plane travel... and kids will happily watch the same cartoons over and over again. I personally don't see the need for an iPad to house your entire collection of music and videos. Then again... if you can aford the 64GB... why not right?! Personally... I just couldn't justify the cost. The 64GB iPad end up costing almost as much as a "real" computer! (i.e. low end MacBook)

Quote:

There might be a different set of people who would prefer one or the other. I won't be surprised if there would be those who will have both.

It is true that it will be used a lot at home. But, imagine how useful this would be to quiet kids (games, movies, cartoons, etc.) in the back seat of the car while on long trips, or even just the usual routine of going around each day.

Travelers who would want to watch movies, do some light work, or editing notes, etc. while cooped up in the plane, waiting in terminals. It will be good to take notes, presentations, etc. during conferennces.

Have you seen the Maps? And related applications for travel and tourism? Here the large screen in the iPad makes a great difference.

Specially when it becomes more powerful, as others already noted, it will be favored over the very bulky notebook. This is one reason actually why I am tempted to buy the 1st gen (I usually buy the 2nd Gen of Apple products) because it was backbreaking carrying my laptop and my Nikon camera and lenses, plus other accessories. And, I have to bring them again this coming June.

Some real estate agents want to use it as presentation device -- here big is better.

There are mroe uses of course. Both are portable, the iPhone and the iPad. However, in this case, the statement: "Size matters!" makes a lot of sense.

CGC

• Reply 80 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I think it's starting to look like how many they sell in the June quarter is going to depend entirely on their manufacturing capacity. They've managed to sell 1m in the US only in the past month and there are none in stock anywhere, suggesting their manufacturing capacity is around 1m per month.

Now I'm sure they are trying to increase that, but it's not something that can happen overnight. Given the success thus far though, I suspect they are going to sell just as many as they can make - this is proving to be a remarkable device.

That may be true. If my recollection is correct, after the initial orders in March, I believe they secured a contract with another company as source for the alternative of the large multi-touch screen.

Aside from supply availability of the individual components, another key factor, if it is to be production is the amount of space (more likely separate physical factories) devoted for the production of the iPad. This will take time, even the existing factories already reached full capacity and 24/7 operation (2 or three shifts).

CGC