Apple getting aggressive with competitive new acquisition tactics

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

A 3-hour time frame to decide if I wanted to sell my company? I'd start shopping my company around as fast as I could before I got back to them.

Assuming you are allowed out of the room and the use of a phone
  • Reply 22 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Did anyone else find this statement odd? I saw it in the original Bloomberg report, and there seemed to be no basis for it. The article talks about how Apple is buying companies with some focus and apparent purpose. I'm trying to figure what aquisitions Apple purchased just to block Google--did I miss something?

I'd agree, in fact quite the reverse seems to be the case.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Sell conditional Licences for Mac OSX to a few select Desktop OEM suppliers to make high-spec, expandable Dual-Boot machines for enthusiasts. Engage some top Mobo manufacturers to design-in SLI/Crossfire capability...the works! The consumer desktop market is going to continue to falter and disintegrate. Take Mac OS out with a bang.

Apple is now a mobile device company. I don't expect much of their resources to be devoted to desktops anymore.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Unlike Google, Apple is actually making smart acquisitions. Google seems to be just be spending money for the hell of it. They acquired Bumptop for what seems to be no apparent reason. Nobody liked using it.

Goog has lost its charm. If you buy crap, you will integrate crap with crappier, and produce really crappy... umm... ?
  • Reply 25 of 50
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Unlike Google, Apple is actually making smart acquisitions. Google seems to be just be spending money for the hell of it. They acquired Bumptop for what seems to be no apparent reason. Nobody liked using it.

While it hasn't caught on like wildfire, I'd have to say your comment of "nobody liked using it" to be wrong. There seems to be a lot of online media sources that praise the concept it brings, especially for touch-based devices. Considering this all started as the creator's Master's thesis, that's pretty good.

It would be interesting to see if Google can take the concept and adapt it to mobile devices (merge it with Android somehow?), as it seems like BumpTop was more fitted for touch rather than keyboard/mouse anyway.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    SJ's health is the biggest liability of the company. If Tim Cook is really "the guy", I wonder why he's not made more public....The idea's of course could all still be Steve's....but to make the company seem less vulnerable on SJ's health...

In reality of course....the leader is so critical... I was never a huge Microsoft fan to begin with...but you look at the turn they took once Ballmer took over.... Good lord...
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

Goog has lost its charm. If you buy crap, you will integrate crap with crappier, and produce really crappy... umm... ?

Do you find anything crappy with Google Maps, Google Earth, Google Search or Goog411? I use those almost every day.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I disagree completely. They are not sitting on them, they have made plenty of strategic acquisitions with a lot of thought and patience, being put into them, intrisity, p.a. semi, and lala have been very wise moves. If they are to weather a crisis, which is eminent in the industry (and actually it's already there with pretty much only apple eschewing it), the capital has to be there, and it has to be available.

I completely disagree with this. They've made a few strategic acquisitions, but they hardly amount to "plenty" when the actual resources they've got at their disposal are considered. If it adds up to more than 2% of their cash and short term assets over the last couple of years, I'd be surprised. As for the rainy day fund concept, I don't know why this is thought to be a good thing by some, when entire idea should scare the hell out of everybody. What kind of "crisis" requires a $40 billion backstop? Armageddon?
  • Reply 29 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I completely disagree with this. They've made a few strategic acquisitions, but they hardly amount to "plenty" when the actual resources they've got at their disposal are considered. If it adds up to more than 2% of their cash and short term assets over the last couple of years, I'd be surprised. As for the rainy day fund concept, I don't know why this is thought to be a good thing by some, when entire idea should scare the hell out of everybody. What kind of "crisis" requires a $40 billion backstop? Armageddon?

We're forever going to disagree on this but I see no reason Apple should spend all the security it has simply because it's burning a hole in their pockets. It's irresponsible! This industry is volatile and looking at Apple's growth along with the increase of capacity, things like NAND could easily cost them $2B in a single payout in the future.

I am heavily invested in AAPL; I do not want them using all their cash simply because they have it to spend. Who knows when they will fall out favour with the public (it will happen) or when another economic crisis will hit (it will happen). This is money that will allow them to buy more at lower prices and invest in R&D as they see fit. Do you live week-to-week or month-to-month? I did as a young adult, and it sucked. $40B may sound like a lot but when you look at their costs and what investments they may have to make in the future it's not that much.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    Quote:

What kind of "crisis" requires a $40 billion backstop? Armageddon?

What short memories we have. What if GM had had a $40 billion backstop? Apple could assume that the computer industry will forever be immune to catastrophic downturns. But I'd rather they didn't. I doubt Uncle Sam would bail them out the way they did the auto industry.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We're forever going to disagree on this but I see no reason Apple should spend all the security it has simply because it's burning a hole in their pockets. It's irresponsible! This industry is volatile and looking at Apple's growth along with the increase of capacity, things like NAND could easily cost them $2B in a single payout in the future.

I am heavily invested in AAPL; I do not want them using all their cash simply because they have it to spend. Who knows when they will fall out favour with the public (it will happen) or when another economic crisis will hit (it will happen). This is money that will allow them to buy more at lower prices and invest in R&D as they see fit. Do you live week-to-week or month-to-month? I did as a young adult, and it sucked. $40B may sound like a lot but when you look at their costs and what investments they may have to make in the future it's not that much.

We agree that they should not spend the money simply because they have it. I've made that argument time and again, which to me opens the question of what all that cash is actually for. There's no danger of Apple living week-to-week or month-to-month, however, since they are socking away about $1 billion more, every month. To reiterate what I've said so many times on this subject, the game is called capitalism. The purpose of capitalism is reinvest profits to generate more capital, and so on. The object is to make money, not collect it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

What short memories we have. What if GM had had a $40 billion backstop? Apple could assume that the computer industry will forever be immune to catastrophic downturns. But I'd rather they didn't. I doubt Uncle Sam would bail them out the way they did the auto industry.

So, you think Apple could at any time become an unprofitable and grossly mismanaged business in a low margin industry. Thanks for the comforting thoughts.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    When Apple was a small company worried about it's next year, it makes perfect sense to cut costs, outsource and stockpile some savings.

Apple is not that company anymore - it is now one of the biggest companies in the US which takes a lot of our hard earned money, stockpiles it and sends it overseas via manufacturing and component outsourcing.

There is a certain point in a rich company's life, in which there is this thing called corporate responsibility to invest in the place where you have made your killing - e.g. "Apple Gives Back".

Apple needs to start buying domestic hard drives (why aren't the intel SSDs in macbooks? - The chips are made in Utah!). The same with RAM and flash and as many components as possible. Why can't apple build a robotic assembly factory for iphones here - the technology is here and it would be a few billion tops. I know it would swing my vote to buy one. If there isn't enough US capacity - go into a joint venture and fund a new chip factory. God forbid if it cost Apple a billion dollars to create thousands of domestic jobs which would plug millions back into the pockets of those who are the majority of those buying expensive apple products. We need to start a movement to hold companies responsible to reinvest.

(P.S. Google is even worse - it is giving away Software, using it search monopoly to subsidize it's software undercutting any legitimate software shop here - look at Palm - it is a clear causality of Goggle's unethical practices, When you buy an HTC phone with free Google software all of the profits go overseas - it helps the American economy almost zero - it is almost a criminal business model - the Feds need to knock at Goggle's door)
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 21yr_mac_user View Post

Apple is not that company anymore - it is now one of the biggest companies in the US which takes a lot of our hard earned money, stockpiles it and sends it overseas via manufacturing and component outsourcing.

Good points.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

When Apple was a small company worried about it's next year, it makes perfect sense to cut costs, outsource and stockpile some savings.

There is a certain point in a rich company's life, in which there is this thing called corporate responsibility to invest in the place where you have made your killing - e.g. "Apple Gives Back".

Apple needs to start buying domestic hard drives (why aren't the intel SSDs in macbooks? - The chips are made in Utah!). The same with RAM and flash and as many components as possible. Why can't apple build a robotic assembly factory for iphones here - the technology is here and it would be a few billion tops. I know it would swing my vote to buy one. If there isn't enough US capacity - go into a joint venture and fund a new chip factory. God forbid if it cost Apple a billion dollars to create thousands of domestic jobs which would plug millions back into the pockets of those who are the majority of those buying expensive apple products. We need to start a movement to hold companies responsible to reinvest.

(P.S. Google is even worse - it is giving away Software, using it search monopoly to subsidize it's software undercutting any legitimate software shop here - look at Palm - it is a clear causality of Goggle's unethical practices, When you buy an HTC phone with free Google software all of the profits go overseas - it helps the American economy almost zero - it is almost a criminal business model - the Feds need to knock at Goggle's door)

That's one of the things I admire about RIM. While they have moved a lot of their manufacturing overseas, they still do much of here at home (Canada). On the same street they do their R&D, they also have a manufacturing facility and many call centre buildings.

But that is only looking at the hardware manufacturing side of things. The much higher paying jobs in research and development for Apple and Google are in the US. Outside of R&D they employee thousands of people in general office and operations jobs.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

That's one of the things I admire about RIM. While they have moved a lot of their manufacturing overseas, they still do much of here at home (Canada). On the same street they do their R&D, they also have a manufacturing facility and many call centre buildings.

But that is only looking at the hardware manufacturing side of things. The much higher paying jobs in research and development for Apple and Google are in the US. Outside of R&D they employee thousands of people in general office and operations jobs.

Apple is an American company, and it is good for us to support American companies. I try to Buy American if I can. When I bought my new laptop, the only companies I considered were Dell, HP and Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 50
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:

I think this point is a really heated topic...

I simply don't see how the US can compete in repetitive, manufacturing-type jobs. I had a girlfriend from Taiwan.....Even in Taiwan, there is this fear of China...that the same kinds of jobs can be done for 1/4 of the cost there...

Say Apple took your advice and moved production to the US... HTC is Taiwan based...Say the iPhone becomes 5 times more expensive than the Nexus One to build....How would Apple make up the difference? They may have large cash reserves but they can't operate at a loss.

EDIT:

===========================

Re-reading your post...So you're talking about robotics manufacturing that would keep costs competitive to overseas costs? Would be interesting to see some examples.... Though either way, it seems the American manufactuaring worker is being replaced... it's either happening from a worker in a developing country or a robot.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    The problem with this argument is that Apple is not in fact stockpiling money to send overseas. The stockpiled funds are invested in short-term securities most of it probably right here in the US in commercial paper and the like. The fact that they manufacture overseas is not to be confused with where the excess funds go. And before we get too worked up about overseas manufacturing, we might stop and consider how many people Apple employs here, from Cupertino right down to the Apple Stores.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,964member
    Quote:

So, you think Apple could at any time become an unprofitable and grossly mismanaged business in a low margin industry. Thanks for the comforting thoughts.

Okay, so GM was not the best example. But not every company that failed in the crash was unprofitable, grossly mismanaged, etc. My main point was that we never know what form the next downturn will take, and why. To apply a related aphorism, the army is always preparing for the last war. It never hurts to be prudent and flexible enough to face any unexpected turn of events. I, like Solipsism, have a pretty good position in AAPL and am very comforted by their conservation of resources (cash).
  • Reply 39 of 50
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Apple is an American company, and it is good for us to support American companies. I try to Buy American if I can. When I bought my new laptop, the only companies I considered were Dell, HP and Apple.

Interesting how you define American, suppose you are saying the finished goods, since majority components that make up the computer are certainly not American. I do not even care were the product comes from as long as it is good quality and suits my requirements. I suppose I should support UK, America, India and Jamaica products.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Apple is now a mobile device company. I don't expect much of their resources to be devoted to desktops anymore.

I think just because their profits largely coming from mobile devices, Apple should still not be put into this category. Apple will innovate in any area that it see a potential business strategy to develop and provide customers high quality products within the computing sector. I very much doubt resources will decline with concern to desktop business.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

If apple actually brought back their shares using the 30 Billion they had when its stock price @ $90 during the Financial Crisis. they would have worth more then any US company by now.

Hmmmm..... and I can make gold from lead.