A few questions about Netflix & iPad...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have three other family members in my house and I have a cable subscription with all the channels. I wanted to cancel the premium subsciptions and start using Netflix instead and buy them all iPads instead.

My questions are:

1. Are there family plans available? I just see an $8 monthly plan on their site.

2. Can people watch multiple different movies at the same time on the same account? I'm currently the only one with a credit card.

3. Can the iPad be connected to the TV to watch Netflix? I'd get Roku boxes but would rather not waste the money if it isn't necessary.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I have three other family members in my house and I have a cable subscription with all the channels. I wanted to cancel the premium subsciptions and start using Netflix instead and buy them all iPads instead.

My questions are:

1. Are there family plans available? I just see an $8 monthly plan on their site.

2. Can people watch multiple different movies at the same time on the same account? I'm currently the only one with a credit card.

Not sure, likely because of the low price it´s a per unit charge. Also the account is tied to viewing habits and resume paybacks and such. Multiple users on the same account could present some problems, the only way to check is to try it or ask Netflix.

Likely one can set up multiple billing accounts to one credit card, I don´t see why not. Youĺl have to ask them.

Quote:

3. Can the iPad be connected to the TV to watch Netflix? I'd get Roku boxes but would rather not waste the money if it isn't necessary.

The iPad cannot handle a TV, the resolution is too little even if it could, also holding the iPad is a pain, uncomfortable and glossy screen reflects to obscure the screen. One would have to go to the iPad connected to the TV, the Roku has a remote control. Also it´s a minimum $500 each iPad, a Roku is only $99 each and one uses the bigger screen of the TV, a much better experience if you ask me.

Each Roku should id itself as a separate device, so even if they all share the same ip address and network, it should work. You really need high speed cable broadband, not DSL, try to avoid Comcast if possible, they are throttling Netflix. So now just one account takes longer to load a video, it wasn´t nearly seamless like before. I can only imagine how they would react to three accounts on on IP all at once.

Set one up and add more as you go, Netflix is great, it´s the most content for the lowest price, I use it constantly. In fact I rarely watch the DVD´s anymore, there is more online content coming all the time.