Steve Jobs missed out on $10 billion from stock options adjustment

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    glui2001glui2001 Posts: 24member
    http://www.sadanduseless.com/2010/05...vs-bill-gates/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Had Apple co-founder Steve Jobs not cancelled his stock options in exchange for $75 million in shares in 2003, he would have an extra $10.3 billion in profits today.

The revelation comes courtesy of a new column Tuesday from Brett Arends of MarketWatch. He noted that the tech bubble burst in 2000 had left many companies hurting, including Apple, which dropped from a peak of $36 down to $7.

In 2003, stock options granted to employees "seemed completely worthless," he wrote. "After all, Apple stock would have to climb all the way back up to those giddy heights before the options even started to show a profit again."

Apple employees were allowed to exchange their options for a smaller number that became valuable at a lower price. Jobs canceled his options in return for $75 million in shares, a move that was said to allow the company to offer more options to other staff, and reportedly was not done due to the diminished stock price.

"Jobs held 15 million options at an exercise price of $9.15, which meant they started to gain value only if Apple stock exceeded that price, and 40 million options at an exercise price of $21.80," Arends wrote. "Apple at the time was little more than $7 a share. (These prices have been adjusted to reflect the subsequent stock split.) Total value: $12.8 billion."

"In other words," he continued, "Steve Jobs missed out on $10.3 billion in extra profits."

Of course, Jobs' 10 million shares are still worth about $2.5 billion today. And last year, he was named the No. 43 wealthiest American with a net worth of $5.1 billion by Forbes.

The chief executive famously takes a salary of only $1 for his work at Apple, but receives millions in compensation in the form of stock options.

While Arends suggested Jobs' move in 2003 was the "dumbest trade ever," Jobs has also been behind some quite profitable deals. Perhaps his best move was purchasing Pixar from filmmaker George Lucas in 1986 for $10 million. He sold the company to Disney in 2006 for $7.4 billion in stock, and was also given a seat on the Disney Board of Directors.

• Reply 22 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Its all academic. Me, on the other hand...
  • Reply 23 of 75
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I

It should be quite apparent by now that for Steve Jobs, money, and the accumulation thereof, has never been a prime motivator.

I seem to remember seeing an interview where Steve said he made $1 million when he was 21, $10 million when he was 22 and $100 million when he was 23...and it really was not about the money.

He also said starting your own company is extremely hard.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    This is why America is the way it is today; the few wealthy and many, many poor.

How much money can one person spend in a lifetime? Yes, he missed $10 billion, but he also missed being dead too.

Greed is the root of all problem in America today. I can't believe someone has the time to even think of such a nonsense.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    tcphototcphoto Posts: 65member
    If if's and but's were nuts and bolts, we'd build a hell of a bridge. If my Broker had purchased AAPL instead of "his" stocks, I'd be sitting on $140k rather than this sad little story I've lived since. I think that Steve will be just fine in his later live. Besides, his historic house should be nicely replaced by the time he's ready to retire.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Funneee....

Oh, an can you please not include the entire article in the future. Wears my scrolling finger out.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

It is a testament to the pervasive culture of rapacious greed that emanates out of Wall Street that Brett Arends, who last I heard is not a billionaire, has completely internalized the Wall Street fat cat billionaires' attitude of 'no matter how many billions I'm sitting on, it's never enough'.

It should be quite apparent by now that for Steve Jobs, money, and the accumulation thereof, has never been a prime motivator. Mr. Arends, by implying that in his eyes Jobs is somehow a lesser human being for not voraciously going after those few more billions, has just given us a glimpse into the vacuous, barren expanse that he tries to pass off as his 'bedrock values'.

In other words.. Maybe Wall street is greedy and Steve Jobs isn't.

lol sheesh you sound like my Lawyer!!
  • Reply 28 of 75
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I seem to remember seeing an interview where Steve said he made $1 million when he was 21, $10 million when he was 22 and $100 million when he was 23....

For that reason alone I have no reason to think it was ever about money. Jobs has proven one thing about himself over the years, and I think it is his desire to change the world, or something about the world profoundly enough that it lives on when he's gone.

And starting your own business is easy.

Creating something that everybody wants to BUY, however....that's hard...
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

This is why America is the way it is today; the few wealthy and many, many poor.

Uh oh, here we go...

Quote:

How much money can one person spend in a lifetime?

Who exactly are you to make that decision for anybody else?

Quote:

Greed is the root of all problem in America today. I can't believe someone has the time to even think of such a nonsense.

Greed isn't the problem in America today.

Jealousy and entitlement are.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

If if's and but's were nuts and bolts, we'd build a hell of a bridge. If my Broker had purchased AAPL instead of "his" stocks, I'd be sitting on $140k rather than this sad little story I've lived since. I think that Steve will be just fine in his later live. Besides, his historic house should be nicely replaced by the time he's ready to retire.

My first IRA was built up to 19k in 2000. After the big crash, and 911, it was worth 11k. Another year later and my "broker" at ML had it down to 8k. He didn't think Apple was a good idea.

In 2003 I took that IRA Account away from Merrill Lynch and sank it into Apple.

Today its worth over 50k. 600% return in six years.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    I'm probably the furthest thing from a bleeding heart liberal, but there's gotta be a point when you have so much money another $10 billion just won't change your life personally. I'd love to see Steve Jobs publicly go after a major world problem with the same energy he does at Apple. I only say publicly because I'm sure he contributes to many things, but you rarely hear about it.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Dang, I would kick myself over the oppty to make an extra $100,000. This is 100,000 times that. A ten figure booboo. Oh well, he's rich anyway.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

I was 21 years old back in those days, wish I had the common sense to invest my pennies in AAPL stocks.

*sigh*

I was twenty, and that struck a chord with me as well.

Just for the helluvit:

That 10.3B would have allowed him to edge out Ballmer on the Forbes list - by one spot.

Did AI even report on Apple bumping Microsoft out of the #2 slot on the S&P 500 last month?
  • Reply 34 of 75
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I'm probably the furthest thing from a bleeding heart liberal, but there's gotta be a point when you have so much money another $10 billion just won't change your life personally. I'd love to see Steve Jobs publicly go after a major world problem with the same energy he does at Apple. I only say publicly because I'm sure he contributes to many things, but you rarely hear about it.

I'd be sad to see that because it would mean Steve went from being the key tech visionary, to just another amateur philanthropist who no longer has more to contribute professionally (like Bill Gates). I really hope Steve doesn't waste his time building huts with his bare hands. Sure be might have a creative idea or two to cure world poverty... but i DOUBT IT. Let him focus on his true passion. He already contributed massively to our world. The question is, what are you or I doing... Steve has already done a lot. The world needs more people like him.

While you didn't do it, it bugs me when people say that rich people have a special obligation to "become charitable." It is perverse if charity comes at the expense of the industrial success that makes charity possible. Steve is the last guy who should be focusing on "giving back." A successful business like Apple does give back, by selling a great product and making money. Then he can pay you or me to give back, or better yet, other AAPL stockholders could (who got the $10B) could.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Dang, I would kick myself over the oppty to make an extra $100,000. This is 100,000 times that. A ten figure booboo. Oh well, he's rich anyway.

ELEVEN figure booboo.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I'd love to see Steve Jobs publicly go after a major world problem...

Like shitty software?

• Reply 37 of 75
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:

How much money can one person spend in a lifetime? Yes, he missed $10 billion, but he also missed being dead too.

His story shows how anything is possible in the great USA, while most in the rest of the world have no chance of becoming wealthy. These 'greedy', as you call them, employ the so-called poor. I would wager S. Jobs is responsible for 10's of 1000's of jobs- either directly, or indirectly. I forget the exact amount, but I remember reading something about how for every $10 million someone earns, 1000 people are employed. The federal government can't hire everyone...
  • Reply 38 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

It is perverse if charity comes at the expense of the industrial success that makes charity possible.

This is a brilliant line. I couldn't do without commending it publicly.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    On a related note, iPad/iPhone prices to rise 12%. Jobs ain't dumb.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

My first IRA was built up to 19k in 2000. After the big crash, and 911, it was worth 11k. Another year later and my "broker" at ML had it down to 8k. He didn't think Apple was a good idea.

In 2003 I took that IRA Account away from Merrill Lynch and sank it into Apple.

Today its worth over 50k. 600% return in six years.

Back in the days when the Cube was tanking I tried to convince an uncle of mine who was in charge of the insurance money from when my dad passed to take $10,000 of my funds and invest it in Apple. Apple was selling for something like $17 or 20 a share at the time. I really wish he had said yes. There have been 2 stock splits since then, plus the current ridiculous price. Half a million dollars in stock would have been really nice.