Apple issues iPhone OS 4 beta 4, may support AT&T US tethering

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

But do you get another data cap? On the three carriers (O2, Orange and Vodafone) I have found limits of 750 - 1000 MB on the data plans with fair usage policy. So it would make sense to charge for tethering if they give you more usage.

I was hoping they wouldn't charge for tethering if you stay within the limit fixed in the plan... \

I'm on o2 and they only offer an unlimited data (fair usage applies) plan which is £8.50 a month ($12) add-on for the pay-go package which dosnt allow tethering but if you have a contract the same £8.50 applies and you can opt into unlimited tethering for, according to the website, no extra charge. all that is required is a computer running iTunes 8.2 or higher
  • Reply 22 of 46
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

No backgrounds for home screen on the 3G in any of the Betas yet.

oh, wow- that surprises me! From the keynote I got the impression that multitasking was the only 'tentpole' feature of OS 4 that apple wern't including for the 3G
  • Reply 23 of 46
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

oh, wow- that surprises me! From the keynote I got the impression that multitasking was the only 'tentpole' feature of OS 4 that apple wern't including for the 3G

I don't think that background image for the home screen was a 'tentpole' feature...

Edit: just checked, it isn't a tentpole feature.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    The option for Group Messaging looks to me like it's not limited to MMS but any messaging in Messages application.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Does anyone know if the new iPhone will be out at the same time as the OS, or which will come out first?

I believe that last year the new OS release preceded the phone release by at least several days. Probably to allow most of the upgraders to do so before they start trying to do mass activations for the new phones.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kulak18 View Post

ATT can suck my left testicle. We already pay for an data play, it should matter how you use the play. Big Brother just wants more to set up there inferior network. I don't know how many of you out there are content with this lacking network. I for one, am waiting till Verizon get the phone. Death to ATT.

Verizonwireless charges extra for tethering to a BlackBerry, on top of paying for data on the BlackBerry itself.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

" ... spotted by beta testers as noted by Gizmodo"

Sorry, but from now on when read something like that

Will always see guys hanging around in a Bar

Waiting on some drunk dumb ass "Tester" to leave his "Betas" behind

In related news ...

Betcha any "ATT Tethering Plan" will pretty much follow same as iPad's Pay-As-You-Go

But that's just a guess

However, operatives are stalking Bars near ATT's Headquarters

As info gets left behind, we'll pass it on to Gizmodo

• Reply 28 of 46
    I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for this announcement. Awesome news. Now we just need to have the pricing details. Maybe they will break the pattern and do pricing similar to the iPad rather than typical tethering price plan.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    tethering?

lots of people will like that
  • Reply 30 of 46
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kulak18 View Post

ATT can suck my left testicle.

"Reach out and suck someone."
  • Reply 31 of 46
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mutoneon View Post

I know the second generation iPhone 3G won't support multitasking, but I'm very interested to know how the "improved performance" mentioned applies to that model specifically. To say that Maps could use a performance boost is an understatement.

I'm not sure if they were comparing it to iPhone OS 3 or iPhone OS 4 beta 3. When background processing and such were added in beta 2 the iPhone OS UI got a lot less smooth. Animations were sometimes jumpy and there were occasional lags. Of course it's just beta and you can count on Apple to make their interface smooth as silk before release, so I took the "improved UI performance" to mean that they'd worked that out, not they they'd made great leaps over 3.x.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Nice dream!

I'd like to point out that tethering *is* free most places except the USA, so it's not exactly a "crazy" dream even though it likely won't happen.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I'm not sure if they were comparing it to iPhone OS 3 or iPhone OS 4 beta 3. When background processing and such were added in beta 2 the iPhone OS UI got a lot less smooth. Animations were sometimes jumpy and there were occasional lags. Of course it's just beta and you can count on Apple to make their interface smooth as silk before release, so I took the "improved UI performance" to mean that they'd worked that out, not they they'd made great leaps over 3.x.

Typically, optimisations are done for the shipping hardware too, so it's possible that the deprecated hardware (3G), will actually have lower performance. It's usually the way things go because it's not a good idea to lower performance and capabilities for the new shipping product in order not to screw with the two-generations old product.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'd like to point out that tethering *is* free most places except the USA, so it's not exactly a "crazy" dream even though it likely won't happen.

Careful, you are going to get some people jumping on you over using the word 'free'.

But you are totally right...it is included in many countries by many carriers. I don't know that many carrier that offer "unlimited" data plans include tethering though. I consider my 6GB basically unlimited and tethering is included.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Typically, optimisations are done for the shipping hardware too, so it's possible that the deprecated hardware (3G), will actually have lower performance. It's usually the way things go because it's not a good idea to lower performance and capabilities for the new shipping product in order not to screw with the two-generations old product.

While true, my test hardware is the 3GS which should run iPhone OS 4 smoothly. It's good news if they're working on optimization now... sounds about right for a June release.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Haven't noticed the button to turn off cellular data before. Maybe AT&T will give the option to not have a mandatory data plan if you can turn cellular data off (without using a hack)?
  • Reply 37 of 46
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

Really, I do want to be excited about this, but it's not going to be much good when I get dropped every 5-10 minutes...

Worked fantastic in US when they let us test it for free last year. Unfortunately moving to 3.0 broke it.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    jbondojbondo Posts: 6member
    yay for character count in messaging!
  • Reply 39 of 46
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Yes ... I still don't have an iPhone, and tethering is the one feature that is most likely to make me go for it.

The double-resolution screen that was reported here a couple days ago, and a new camera with a flash, would also be pretty compelling.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    mac31mac31 Posts: 44member
    Tethering is definitely exciting, but I wonder if they will extend the functionality to allowing the iPhone to be a "mifi." USB tethering is all well and good, but that won't help me when it comes to my iPad. I'm going to need more info before I upgrade and/or buy a new iPhone...

I'd be interested to see how long it takes for a jailbreak to come out so I can continue using MyWi.