Admin login problem

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I recently purchased a powerbook G4 running version 10.5.8. I am able to login to everything and set my username as the administrator, but I can not set a password for it, if i try to input a password or change the password I get an error message saying I have input an incorrect password. When I purchased the computer everything was blank except for the user name was set as mac user, as I said I was able to change the username but not the password.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mattsmatts Posts: 37member
    A blank password is also a password - have you tried leaving the field for the previous password blank, while entering a new one?

(If this doesn't work, you could perhaps ask the previous owner for the password?)

-matts
  • Reply 2 of 3
    rob_06rob_06 Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maboudre View Post

I recently purchased a powerbook G4 running version 10.5.8. I am able to login to everything and set my username as the administrator, but I can not set a password for it, if i try to input a password or change the password I get an error message saying I have input an incorrect password. When I purchased the computer everything was blank except for the user name was set as mac user, as I said I was able to change the username but not the password.

I know this may sound crazy but have you tried putting mac user as the password as I have seen people use the same password as the user name.

If it fails I agree asking the previous owner as a last resort.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    If you boot up from an install disk, there is a password reset option in one of the menus. You can also reset it in single user mode if you don't have a disc.