Apple stops shipping iPhone 3G to AT&T stores - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Here's to hoping AT&T will discount the data plans and at least not raise the price in any sneeky manner.

They won't, and they will. Guaranteed.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    They will offer 4 models of the Gen 4 and get rid of all previous models. Start with a free 4 or 8GB model (depends on what works for Apple's margins but it's important for Apple to combat Android free phones). Then $99 16GB model. $199 32GB model. Lastly, a $299 64GB model.

Boom!
  • Reply 23 of 47
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

You're not going to get a 35GB iPhone for $199. I'm thinking more 16GB/32GB/64GB. With $199 being the bottom model.

This is possible due to the high NAND prices and inflation Apple has to battle, but would be sorely disappointing. I'm really hoping with the 3GS at $99 and 16 gb, the iPhone HD will be $199 32gb / $299 64 gb. It would be great value, and that 64 gb model would be irresistible at that price.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCC View Post

They will offer 4 models of the Gen 4 and get rid of all previous models. Start with a free 4 or 8GB model (depends on what works for Apple's margins but it's important for Apple to combat Android free phones). Then $99 16GB model. $199 32GB model. Lastly, a $299 64GB model.

Boom!

I would be all over that 16GB. I only have 5GB used on my 8GB iPhone 2G, so 16GB would be more than enough for me, and it would be at a sweet $99 price. I'm not holding my breath though.

Just speculating...how would they clear 3GS stock if they priced the new 16GB iPhone at $99?
  • Reply 25 of 47
    kay_bobokay_bobo Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Boom!

I doubt the 16GB will be $99 especially if they are still gonna sell the 16GB 3GS. That might come down to $99 and keep the 4G starting at $199.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I see the three price structure staying. A free model, then $199 and $299 models.

Quote:

Boom!

• Reply 27 of 47
    kay_bobokay_bobo Posts: 13member
    i highly doubt they will be a free model....AT&T didn't even offer a free model for the refurbished iphones.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Apple doesn't offer a 64GB iPhone yet, but they offer the 64GB iPod touch for $399.

So assuming the ~$400 carrier subsidy continues, Apple could offer a 32GB iPhone 4th Gen for $199 (which is really $599 or $300 more than the comparable iPod touch), and a 64GB version for $299 (which is really $699 or $300 more than the comparable iPod touch).

Someone who wanted a 32GB iPhone would see this revamp as a price cut from $299 to $199. For someone thinking about spending just $99 up-front, it would look like a significant upgrade from 3G to 3GS, and from 8GB to 16GB.

They should eliminate the iPod touch altogether and instead make all models iPhones. Difference being, one could simply pay for a month at a time wireless whenever and wherever one wanted, same deal as the iPad.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

... If the price was 199 dollars WITHOUT a contract. Then it would sell like crazy.

Yes, it would sell like crazy until Apple went bankrupt. It cost Apple more than $199 to make it.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    8GB iPhone supplies started slowing down in Australia a couple of months ago, now they are almost impossible to get, the 3GS models have had slight price drops to compensate.

There seem to be plenty of either colour.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

If the price was 199 dollars WITHOUT a contract. Then it would sell like crazy.

Why stop there?? If Apple sold it for $1, Apple would sell truckloads more!!
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

You're not going to get a 35GB iPhone for $199.

I don't think you're going to get a 35GB iPhone for any price.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Boom!

A FREE iPhone, I don't think so. Apple offers a class product and makes a profit selling it. Apple is motivated by profit not volume and I don't think AT&T would be willing to take the profit hit to do so either. It is all about the profit not the volume (market share).
  • Reply 34 of 47
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    16g 3Gs will be offered at $99. It is already a tradition. It still sells really good. And you have to get potential customers used to new design, the best way to do so is to sow them both designs side by side and point out why new is better. Plus customers got used to the 99 option and point must be occupied.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Why stop there?? If Apple sold it for $1, Apple would sell truckloads more!!

I don't think so supply chain breakdown is inevitable
  • Reply 36 of 47
    quadquad Posts: 13member
    Quote:

You're not going to get a 35GB iPhone for $199. I'm thinking more 16GB/32GB/64GB. With $199 being the bottom model.

Well looks like you just got proven wrong
  • Reply 37 of 47
    at my Best Buy we are giving the 3G away for FREE with 2 year contract...for at least 2 weeks now...

so here it is...the 3GS will prob stay at $99 for the 16Gb option because it will have 4.0 update

then there will be HD models at 32Gb and 64Gb...and who knows a super expensive 128Gb

we will all have to sit back and watch the mayhem in June...can't wait...4.0 is amazing as a beta 4 now so I can imagine it being crazy great on the new hardware...need to sell some stuff so I have the money come July when my contract is up...yeah
  • Reply 38 of 47
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by salmonstk View Post

I totally agree. Would be a bit tacky to sell the old industrial design along side new one.

Eh...the old style (non-unibody) 13" MB sold alongside the 13" MBP which is pretty much the old industrial design along side the new one.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Seems straightforward to most people, go check the price of NAND and read about the NAND market in general

Gosh, I feel bad not being 'most people' and checking NAND prices. NOT!
  • Reply 40 of 47
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Of course due skepticism is warranted, but let's all remember the alleged Vietnamese leak clearly showed 16GB on the back of the new form factor. I strongly suspect 16GB will be an option. And they could double the NAND this year and maintain the price point, but I don't think most people will be too disappointed if it doesn't happen, and keeping 16GB @ $199, 32GB @ $299, and maybe 64GB @ $399 would give better margins.

Also, understand that the cost of making this thing exceeds the summary cost of the hardware involved.