Adobe announces magazine digital publishing platform for Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

If I was a shareholder of Adobe I would thank apple every day for starting this flash war. Adobe really kicked things into high gear, both in terms of flash development with 10.1 and with these new tools, which were rewritten in C in record time. Adobe now has the underdog status, which should help them work harder to build things outside of flash, as well as make sure that flash gets better for those who must use it (like Firefox Users).

Yup - this is just the beginning. A year or two from now the landscape will be very different. I predict a number of new tools out there for converting paper published content to apps, and the creation of rich HTML 5 content. A smart CMS app that can output to a range of modern platforms would probably sell quite well. Nothing like a completely new yet hugely successful platform to get things going!
  • Reply 62 of 98
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Did you read the Editor's Note?

And the Mars demo. Just move your finger slowly across the screen and the timeline visibly presented.

As a previous publisher, the app is extremely well done and with a little more time, it will get even better. It may not be for everyone, but neither is the Bible.

I have the actual app, and the timeline is not intuitive, actually it's downright amateurish. Having said that, I have high expectations for the next issue. Hopefully the next issue would be considerable less than 500MB in size.
  • Reply 63 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Ah! But you may be wrong, my friend! InDesign CS 5 has many interactive features built in. We can add mini slide shows by stacking photos on top of one another and then creating right and left buttons to show one at a time. We can add movies. Yes! We can!

Yea ID5 is surprisingly awesome!
  • Reply 64 of 98
    Great news for designers.

Finally, Adobe is starting to think straight.

A few weeks ago I wrote an article regarding how Digital Magazine Publishing and HTML5 could be a great opportunity for Adobe. I also talked about how they could establish a standard grammar for digital magazine navigation (this could also be customizable, though). Full Article here.

Though I don't think they're supporting HTML5 the way I'd find best (which would be as the structure of a digital magazine issue, supported by javascript and CSS3), I think they're starting to evaluate new ways past the Flash-Flash-Flash thinking (although this new platform also allows Flash technology).

The Size of the "Wired magazine for iPad" app is not good indeed.

HTML5 would be a better fit for it.
  • Reply 65 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

What you don't get are:

- Bookmarks.

- Search.

- Zoom.

- Intuitiveness. Somepages scroll vertically and some horizontally WTF!!

- Interactivity. The Mars demo is useless, it's just a movie without a visible timeline.

All in good time, my young Jedi.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I have the actual app, and the timeline is not intuitive, actually it's downright amateurish. Having said that, I have high expectations for the next issue. Hopefully the next issue would be considerable less than 500MB in size.

So do I and I disagree that it is downright amateurish. I also have high expectations as time goes on.

The more that I get into it, I don't think that it is possible to get the app much lower in size. There is a lot of high quality graphic images and video here and one would expect it to have especially for the price. Not that I question the price, which I don't. I am certain that like all good mags, subscriptions will drive the price down.

FYI. Just off the wire:
    Adobe Unveils Digital Viewer Technology for Magazines

For immediate release

Revolutionary WIRED Reader Application Delivered Through New Adobe Digital Publishing Technologies

SAN JOSE, Calif., — June 1, 2010
    http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...talViewer.html
  • Reply 67 of 98
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Ah! But you may be wrong, my friend! InDesign CS 5 has many interactive features built in. We can add mini slide shows by stacking photos on top of one another and then creating right and left buttons to show one at a time. We can add movies. Yes! We can!

Indeed but that is a transitional document not the send to the printer CMYK version. As I said earlier, there will be interactive developers who take the print document as a starting point and make it interactive.
  • Reply 68 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

At 500MB, I think they have gone the wrong direction with wired. There needs to be a newspaper/magazine framework built in for the iPad, not all these silly apps. Waste of development effort, bloated offerings, and illogical from a user/interaction perspective.

Excellent point!
  • Reply 69 of 98
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    I thought Apple has some sort of a limit about the size of each App?

Joomla, a CMS is about 1-3MB, compressed, A template company has added scripts and sample content that bloated around 10MB, compressed that becomes 30MB uncompressed. No Flash scripting and presentation used in the videos and banners, and other slideshows. And, it can be very slow if you do not have the fastest computer and connection.

Assuming the 500MB is correct, that is . If it is monthly, a year subscription of Wired would be 6000MB=6GB. So, if you did decide to subscribe to 10 newspapers/magazines, you would literally fillup the high end iPad storage at 64GB at the exclusion of almost everything else.

Unless SSDs become cheaper, 16GB iPads would not be the way to "consume" magazine content in the iPad.

I have perhaps more than a thousand bookmarked sites (folders within folders), view possibly a few dozen of them everyday, and perhaps hundred or so each month Ialthough the others more infrequently).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Hundreds of thousands of publishers use InDesign, and I think you are going a bit over the top with these comments.

And here you are suggesting that hundreds of thousands of publishers potentially adopting the same strategy as Wired for their magazine for the iPad?

As others pointed out already, the content for mobile computing deveices must be developed so as not to simply replicate the strategy used for those viewed throught the internet or the browser.

Sure the user can remove the old copies to avoid the storage nightmare illustrated above. However, if iTunes becomes the archival for these bloats or be kept in cloud computing, it will not be very cheap for Apple, just like You Tube is very costly for Google, in terms of bandwidth usage, And we are not talking 500MB You tube videos. This is especially true if the ads in the magazine are not even owned by Apple, like Google more than likely controls all the ads in the You Tube.

I hope Apple realizes this before they create their own nightmare if hundreds of thousands of developers do follow Wired's approach,

I am not sure how much bandwidth usage would be used by the consumer shuttling those 500MB contents to their iPads from their iTunes account, if they keep on deleting them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

While I think it likely (since Adobe created it), that this converter is indeed a POS, let's be realistic. Any magazine that's based on large glossy full-page spreads (and most are nowadays), and has every second page as a full page advertisement (and most do nowadays), is going to end up being a huge file simply due to all the pictures.

If each page is a 10 meg picture file and it has 30 pages, that's 300 MB right there.

Sure this is probably a crappy app, sure Apple or almost anyone could do better than the hacks at Adobe, but digital magazines are always going to be huge files.

A decent biology or medical book would become a tank or more an aircraft carrier the size of Nimitz, if they are to use 10MB static images, let alone video images.

Do not confuse printed glossy magazine images with sreen viewed images.

Unless, we are dealing with historical images that are archived, no self-respecting webdeveloper/webmaster will use 10meg (is that the same as MB?) for internet presentation. There is such thing as screen-optimized images where a 5MB image can be reduced to 100-500KB, without the viewer of 10-24" screen seeing any grains,

Also, in terms of bandthwidth usage, a concern for both Apple and the user, imagine how much bandwidth you are using if you keep on downloading 10MB advertisements and images. Your battery would love you to death.

CGC
  • Reply 70 of 98
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    The funny thing is that the Popular Science magazine app weighs in at 60MB and was done entirely in objective-c.

60MB native or 500MB Adobe.....hmmmm

(I think Steve might be onto something)
  • Reply 71 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by el-extranjero View Post

A few weeks ago I wrote an article regarding how Digital Magazine Publishing and HTML5 could be a great opportunity for Adobe. I also talked about how they could establish a standard grammar for digital magazine navigation (this could also be customizable, though). Full Article here.

Though I don't think they're supporting HTML5 the way I'd find best (which would be as the structure of a digital magazine issue, supported by javascript and CSS3), I think they're starting to evaluate new ways past the Flash-Flash-Flash thinking (although this new platform also allows Flash technology).

One of the best looking sites of the web is Apple's and if the truth be known, it was and is not created by a 'web' designer.

And the last thing that the editor and art director wants is to take the likes of WIRED and web it.
  • Reply 72 of 98
    Well, nevertheless it's a start.

Now, get back to work, Adobe.

And make something like what's described here.
  • Reply 73 of 98
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Been there done that. Art comes first, sorry. The process does not run in reverse. The director does not take orders from the cameraman.

Yes! I know nothing about the publishing business, but as a consumer, I would not want to consume content that was technically correct but unattractive... My late wife was smart, competent, funny, great personality and a true pleasure to be with.... But what gave me the opportunity to discover those attributes was her looks!

The challenge, as I see it, is how do you take static content and enhance it to provide a better UX.

The early web, with hypertext (links, and later searches, etc.) made text easier to find and consume, but somewhat less attractive. Early, additions of animated GIFs, images, Flash and pop-ups (even banner ads) were an attempt to make the content more attractive.

I am all for that! Within limits!

Where it all went wrong, IMO, is when the content took a secondary roll to gratuitous Sizzle and Flash!

Devices like the iPad provide the opportunity for content publishers to reverse that trend.

At the very least, they can recapture the personal bond between the user and the published page.

Done right, they can provide the vehicle to travel with the user as he immerses himself in a totally new personal experience like no other.

I hope they succeed!

Some things need be left to the imagination and discovery of the user!

• Reply 74 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I thought Apple has some sort of a limit about the size of each App?

Apple raised the 10MB limit it to 20MBs over 3G in February. Otherwise, it is unlimited via Wi-Fi. My iPhone TomTom App is 1.55 GB

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Assuming the 500MB is correct, that is . If it is monthly, a year subscription of Wired would be 6000MB=6GB. So, if you did decide to subscribe to 10 newspapers/magazines, you would literally fillup the high end iPad storage at 64GB at the exclusion of almost everything else.

Why the hell would anybody even want to store copies of all their magazines on their iPad?
  • Reply 75 of 98
    Quote:

And you could:

-- cut the size by 50% at least (eliminate duplicate pngs of landscape and Portrait pages)

-- cut the size even further by eliminating text from the remaining pngs,

-- allow resize and reflow of text for the visually challenged

-- allow bookmarks and annotation (if not copy/paste)

-- provide a more platform consistent UX.

• Reply 76 of 98
    Quote:

So do I and I disagree that it is downright amateurish. I also have high expectations as time goes on.

The more that I get into it, I don't think that it is possible to get the app much lower in size. There is a lot of high quality graphic images and video here and one would expect it to have especially for the price. Not that I question the price, which I don't. I am certain that like all good mags, subscriptions will drive the price down.

FYI. Just off the wire:
    Adobe Unveils Digital Viewer Technology for Magazines

For immediate release

Revolutionary WIRED Reader Application Delivered Through New Adobe Digital Publishing Technologies

SAN JOSE, Calif., ? June 1, 2010
    http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...talViewer.html

The iPad's resolution is 1024x768 pixels, a JPG file at max quality tops below 800KB. I expect the whole magazine to add up to a maximum of 150MB. The video footage should be streamable. It is necessary that a magazine of any sort be portable in size so it can be downloaded over a 3G network; otherwise, it would be easier to just visit the site.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    Quote:

I do!

1) They have 2 images for each page-- 1 for landscape, 1 for portrait. Kill 1 and re-flow the other

2) Each page image (above) contains a picture of static text (as if they took a picture of a printed magazine page). Crop the images to contain no text and provide, the text as text.

You said you read the article I referenced in an earlier post. Apparently you didn't, or you didn't understand it.

http://interfacelab.com/is-this-real...st-use-html-5/

This Wired app is just a bloated, clumsy, non-intuitive poor-man's slide-show with no ability to do basic customization to enhance the UX-- i.e. zoom the text so it is readable... Fuck the Font selection!

• Reply 78 of 98
    Quote:

Well, nevertheless it's a start.

Now, get back to work, Adobe.

And make something like what's described here.

That's a good article... and good advice... stranger!

• Reply 79 of 98
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

Apple raised the 10MB limit it to 20MBs over 3G in February. Otherwise, it is unlimited via Wi-Fi. My iPhone TomTom App is 1.55 GB

Why the hell would anybody even want to store copies of all their magazines on their iPad?

Not at 500 MB they won't. Wow, 500MB, thats bad. Just give me a PDF of the magazines with links and perhaps some basic, generic, embedded content. Don't need all the bells and whistles.
  • Reply 80 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I do!

1) They have 2 images for each page-- 1 for landscape, 1 for portrait. Kill 1 and re-flow the other

2) Each page image (above) contains a picture of static text (as if they took a picture of a printed magazine page). Crop the images to contain no text and provide, the text as text.

You said you read the article I referenced in an earlier post. Apparently you didn't, or you didn't understand it.

http://interfacelab.com/is-this-real...st-use-html-5/

This Wired app is just a bloated, clumsy, non-intuitive poor-man's slide-show with no ability to do basic customization to enhance the UX-- i.e. zoom the text so it is readable... Fuck the Font selection!

I read it and after 30 years in the print/publishing/advertising/software developing, I am more than capable of understanding it.

Unfortunately, when a reviewer own web site is so bloated, clumsy, non-intuitive poor-man's slide-show tries to tell me how a mag should be produced, well I'll take another road.

I gather by your comments that your eyesight is such you probably have difficulty reading the newspaper. Perhaps the iPad is not for you, at least for reading magazines, particularly this one which you hardly ever, if ever, had. Certainly you seem to be one of the few here that has an issue with font size.

As the editor says in his NOTE,

"The arrival of the tablet represents a grand experiment in the future of media. Over the next few months, we'll integrate social media and offer a variety of versions and ways to subscribe in digital form. We'll learn through experimentation, and we will watch closely as our readers teach us how they want to use tablets.

There is no finish line. WIRED will be digital from now on, designed from the start as a compelling interactive experience. WIRED is finally, well, wired."