Adobe announces magazine digital publishing platform for Apple iPad

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Not at 500 MB they won't. Wow, 500MB, thats bad. Just give me a PDF of the magazines with links and perhaps some basic, generic, embedded content. Don't need all the bells and whistles.

That's basically what is available on the web now. And nobody is reading the shit.
  • Reply 82 of 98
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Apple raised the 10MB limit it to 20MBs over 3G in February. Otherwise, it is unlimited via Wi-Fi. My iPhone TomTom App is 1.55 GB

I would undestand alloting that much to something you would depend on everyday.

Quote:

Why the hell would anybody even want to store copies of all their magazines on their iPad?

That is the whole point. If I read some massmedia strategies, they create an App, for free, then you have a mechanism to then access their site or something. Not sure exactly how it is loaded to refresh content, if you have subscription. This was how some papers got away from the desire of Apple to have sole control of the iTunes subscribers names. Not sharing the buyers of the Appls would not be to the interest of massmedia or any subscriotion business.

Even then, imaine if you subscribe to a several dozens of magazines and newspapers -- they add up, if the Apps (not the "paper") is 500MB each.

CGC
  • Reply 83 of 98
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

That's basically what is available on the web now. And nobody is reading the shit.

Exactly... on the web. Not sent to me.

Publishers have a tough nut to crack getting more readers.

One fundamental problem, the news services pick up most stories and reprint.

IMO, over the long run, nobody is going to 'read the shit' if its 500MEG and takes fair amount of time to download each and every one.

However, if they would email a pdf version with ads (I can ignore pdf ad's as well), with my paper subscription they might get a bit more of a following.

Why would I pay for paper subscription and then pay again for on line, thats crazy. However, an emailed pdf? Similar to... dare I say it... Googles magazine view.

I just don't buy that the 'bells and whistle's' beyond movie clips etc will gain new readers.

But, I'm a bit of a luddite.
  • Reply 84 of 98
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    I bought it but I won't be buying it again at these prices. It is also very careless with the space available on a mobile platform. The purchase was more a matter of curiosity and nostalgia. I remember how much I enjoyed reading that premiere issue of Wired back in the spring of 1993. It seemed only fair to give the new format an initial look. A problem is that there are many tempting apps that compete for that $5 impulse purchase. At $1 or $2 it might slip through.
  • Reply 85 of 98
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 621member
    crazy price for a bloated app. won't catch on unless they make it fast to download (100mb max) and reduce the number of ads - or keep the ads and make it free to download.
  • Reply 86 of 98
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

I read it and after 30 years in the print/publishing/advertising/software developing, I am more than capable of understanding it.

OK, I really don't want to get into a pissing contest, but I can't let that go unchallenged.

As someone with 54 years in the computer and technology business, I understand how technology should be used... And, I, and my industry have been able to adapt to changing times!

Your industry is dying-- I don't presume to know all the reasons why, but I suspect that a lot of it is due to clinging to moribund relics and procedures of the past. Print dabbles in the web but few companies exploit it! Why? Because they don't understand it... they only understand Print!

The sad thing is that the iPad is offering Print a new life... if it will open its eyes, embrace the technology and enhance the user experience of the non-technical consumer. Delivering "photographs" of printed magazine pages just ain't gonna' cut it... any more than their (mostly) half-assed attempts at delivering web content.

The Wired app should draw you in and take you on a pleasant journey of discovery... It just gets in the way.

Quote:

Unfortunately, when a reviewer own web site is "so bloated, clumsy, non-intuitive poor-man's slide-show "tries to tell me how a mag should be produced, well I'll take another road.

That site is a typical blog with a lot of text, comments and few images. It is content-oriented, not glitz oriented. It is what it is... there's nothing wrong with that site... it does the intended job!

Just what on that site is "so bloated, clumsy, non-intuitive poor-man's slide-show ". (You echoed my criticism of the Wired app, and I stand by it!)

However, the site you criticize, is not my site, and it exhibits none of the characteristics you claim.... e,g., don't you need images for a slide-show?

Rather, I suspect that you don't like the content, author's opinion, or reader comments.

Fair enough!

But, that's another discussion-- one I suspect you should join and contribute to!

Quote:

I gather by your comments that your eyesight is such you probably have difficulty reading the newspaper. Perhaps the iPad is not for you, at least for reading magazines, particularly this one which you hardly ever, if ever, had. Certainly you seem to be one of the few here that has an issue with font size.

No I can read a newspaper or magazines, fine. I just don't choose to! I find most of their content uninteresting, biased, dated or all of the above.

I do read lots of books, including eBooks.

Quote:

As the editor says in his NOTE,

"The arrival of the tablet represents a grand experiment in the future of media. Over the next few months, we'll integrate social media and offer a variety of versions and ways to subscribe in digital form. We'll learn through experimentation, and we will watch closely as our readers teach us how they want to use tablets.

Those are admirable goals... and I support Wired and their efforts to achieve them.

I bought the Wired app, day 1 (and every other magazine, reader or comic book app I ran across).

I am one who appreciates beauty, respects the written word and understands technology. I bought all these apps to see how they would exploit the opportunity, maybe I would learn something, and experience the renaissance of cherished industry.

So far, I have been, mostly, disappointed.

IMO, Marvel is the best of the lot and comes closest to delivering and enhancing the user experience.

IMO, Wired is the worst of the lot... a bloated, clumsy, non-intuitive poor-man's slide-show!

Quote:

There is no finish line. WIRED will be digital from now on, designed from the start as a compelling interactive experience. WIRED is finally, well, wired."

I don't know if I believe that! Maybe, "WIRED will be a digital representation of Print", would be more accurate.

But, I hope so! I hope they continue to experiment! I hope they listen and learn!

However, I will not invest the time in another issue until they make some real attempt to exploit the opportunity!

• Reply 87 of 98
    so adobe you finally come to your senses

y really need apple

and come on make something new. kill flash and work with apple to make an html publisher

get with the game not against it we apple fan boys love you too adobe

just get with it
  • Reply 88 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superbenk View Post

Why is this news? Zinio has been around for years...

https://www.zinio.com/account/download-reader-page.jsp

Maybe you're in a position to influence this, but Zino Delivery Manager needs to update or stop using the CGWrap daemon. It's the only PowerPC process running on my Mac and it annoys me considerably.
  • Reply 89 of 98
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    They should tone down the ads first. Then they need to not make the whole thing out of large flat images. Then they need the ability to share content. Then each issue needs to be $3.99, not $4.99.

And the need to offer e yearly subscription for $19.99

The times are changing, and unless these guys are not aggressive and competitive on their pricing they'll sink into a deep dark whole. People thing the app rocks, but this is the early stages and people are easily impressed with what they won't be in 2 years time. Wired and others need to be thinking long-term with the pricing strategies here.
  • Reply 90 of 98
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    I gather that many haven't even bought the app.

Interesting that it has such a high Customer Rating.
  • Reply 91 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by el-extranjero View Post

Well, nevertheless it's a start.

Now, get back to work, Adobe.

And make something like what's described here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That's a good article... and good advice... stranger!

Thanks, Mr.Applebaum.

I'd love to test the Wired magazine for iPad (from what I've seen I find it very interesting), but unfortunately the iPad is, still, not bavailable in many european countries. Out of luck for the time being.

So, people's input throughout the web is very precious to those of us who cannot test iPad apps for the time being.

However there are some local dealers that have already samples for people to try.

It is going to be an international success. Much curiosity is going on ? it's a different kind of product indeed.
  • Reply 92 of 98
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

There is some irony in this.

Jobs bans 3rd party tools because they cause inferior apps. So instead of a nice, compact interactive magazine viewer Adobe release a bloated piece of rushed-to-market crap ... but hey it's written in Objective-C so it's all OK!

My first question would have to be... how tightly are these magazines locked into In Design? If Adobe decide not to fix this crap iPad application to ensure the Flash experience is better than the iPad one... will the magazines be willing and able to switch away from InDesign?

My second question... how many use In Design? Will this crap start to become common place on the iPad?

Hundreds of thousands of publishers use InDesign, and I think you are going a bit over the top with these comments.

Hundreds of thousands of publishers use InDesign, and I think you are going a bit over the top with these comments.

While I think it likely (since Adobe created it), that this converter is indeed a POS, let's be realistic. Any magazine that's based on large glossy full-page spreads (and most are nowadays), and has every second page as a full page advertisement (and most do nowadays), is going to end up being a huge file simply due to all the pictures.

If each page is a 10 meg picture file and it has 30 pages, that's 300 MB right there.

Sure this is probably a crappy app, sure Apple or almost anyone could do better than the hacks at Adobe, but digital magazines are always going to be huge files.

I agree magazines will always be huge... just not quite that huge!

The same content could have had two layouts defined, and the app could switch between the two. That's going to save 50% of space.

The videos could actually be compressed videos instead of image sets. That's going to save a little more, and any text could have been text instead of an image of text. That's going to save more space again.

I'm going to throw a number out there and say a standard magazine should be somewhere between 100MB and 200MB.

The space isn't the biggest issue though. The problem is that the way they have done it limits the interactivity takes away from the user experience.

I actually think we need to see a paradigm shift for "eMagazines". At the moment it seems like people are trying to either fit a standard magazine into the new "eReader" format (which doesn't really work) or saying that an eMagazine should simply be like a web page (in which case... what's the point). There needs to be something new to fit into the eMagazine category.

Have you seen Alice for the iPad? I'm not saying that I think all eMagazines should look like this... but it gives you a bit of an idea of what is possible with the new format.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gew68Qj5kxw
  • Reply 93 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by el-extranjero View Post

Thanks, Mr.Applebaum.

I'd love to test the Wired magazine for iPad (from what I've seen I find it very interesting), but unfortunately the iPad is, still, not bavailable in many european countries. Out of luck for the time being.

So, people's input throughout the web is very precious to those of us who cannot test iPad apps for the time being.

However there are some local dealers that have already samples for people to try.

It is going to be an international success. Much curiosity is going on ? it's a different kind of product indeed.

My God! That last article was one of the best (and longest) I've read! The fact that you can focus on the important details and explain them (without ever having experienced them) is truly amazing!

I find it hard to believe. Sure, I can look at the iPad intro keynote and see the possibilities... But, I need to Get the device in my hands, to touch and feel it... to interact, and watch as it gets out of the way, while anticipating my next need. You can understand that, without having experienced it!

Man, I salute and envy you!

You should get a job at Apple, or better WSJ... evangelizing the future!

We need you!

Don't be a stranger!

• Reply 94 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I agree magazines will always be huge... just not quite that huge!

The same content could have had two layouts defined, and the app could switch between the two. That's going to save 50% of space.

The videos could actually be compressed videos instead of image sets. That's going to save a little more, and any text could have been text instead of an image of text. That's going to save more space again.

I'm going to throw a number out there and say a standard magazine should be somewhere between 100MB and 200MB.

The space isn't the biggest issue though. The problem is that the way they have done it limits the interactivity takes away from the user experience.

I actually think we need to see a paradigm shift for "eMagazines". At the moment it seems like people are trying to either fit a standard magazine into the new "eReader" format (which doesn't really work) or saying that an eMagazine should simply be like a web page (in which case... what's the point). There needs to be something new to fit into the eMagazine category.

Have you seen Alice for the iPad? I'm not saying that I think all eMagazines should look like this... but it gives you a bit of an idea of what is possible with the new format.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gew68Qj5kxw

Ohhhh.... Alice! Yes! It begins interestingly and intuitively... then takes me on a journey of discovery.

Obviously, someone understands Print and technology, but most of all: the consumer.

Best I've seen!

... and the Chessy Cat... Ha!

• Reply 95 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

My God! That last article was one of the best (and longest) I've read! The fact that you can focus on the important details and explain them (without ever having experienced them) is truly amazing!

I find it hard to believe. Sure, I can look at the iPad intro keynote and see the possibilities... But, I need to Get the device in my hands, to touch and feel it... to interact, and watch as it gets out of the way, while anticipating my next need. You can understand that, without having experienced it!

Man, I salute and envy you!

You should get a job at Apple, or better WSJ... evangelizing the future!

We need you!

Don't be a stranger!

eh eh, appreciate the ironic tone. Had that one coming.

I understand how it looks. But maybe you misunderstood me — I have tested an iPad.

As I said before, some strictly selected local retailers have had a unit for some time and I have tested one of them. I began writting the article before I tried the iPad but only concluded it after the test with the real product and saw my initial impressions confirmed.

The Wired magazine for iPad wasn't available then and couldn't try the app.

As for being a long article — I know it is, sorry about that. I appreciate you reading it. Thanks.
  • Reply 96 of 98
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotTylerDurden View Post

This is the beginning, of the end, of the Flash wars.

Even Adobe can't ignore the impact the ipad, and the similar devices that will follow, will have on the way we receive information.

Did I read that right, AIR on the iPhone?! I won't even allow AIR apps on my Mac! I am saddened to see more people starting to take advantage of AIR cause it eats my battery life! Like all these websites that run flash banner ads, you don't need flash to display simple banner animations people!

Someone stop this ridiculous Flash train! It's killing me, killing me!

K, I'm done ranting.
  • Reply 97 of 98
    Two years have passed since you posted the information here. And we're glad that Adobe and Apple has gone a long road to be more successful. As for changing the format to suite for different Apple device, it has been solved for long time. It's easy to convert different formats files to eBooks with some digital magazine software now. That's amazing!
  • Reply 98 of 98

Yes, Adobe launching digital publishing for iPad is definitely a great invention. The creation makes ereading a worldwide trend.

For publishing digital magazine, our company had ever used digital publishing software for making summer fashion magazine. It works fine.

Youtube guide for creating digital magazine: