AT&T caps new iPhone, iPad data plans at 2GB, announces tethering

Comments

• Reply 261 of 359
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Wow, please at least know what you are taling about before you speak. Show me where anyone is asking you or anyone else to pay for tethering? Didn't think you could. I commented basically saying just because you do not need tethering doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Also the consensus is that I should not have to pay twice for something. Once I pay for my data it is mine and I should be free to use my 2GB how ever I see fit. I shouldn't have to pay AT$T to use it with my laptop, iPad etc.... what do they care, if I go over I pay more. So please unstick your head from your A$$ and atleast put it into the sand, do us all a favor.

Wow... classy response.

Not worth a reply.

(oh... hope that job of yours doesn't require proper spelling.)
  • Reply 262 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Thankfully they will send you a text message when you are hitting those limits, so you can adjust your usage.

What if you've removed texting from your service because of THAT rip-off?
  • Reply 263 of 359
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Thankfully they will send you a text message when you are hitting those limits, so you can adjust your usage.

I assumed it would be a warning you could set Ã* la the iPad 3G. Oh well, an SMS is fine, too, albeit less refined.
  • Reply 264 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

SMS messages sent by your carrier are free.
  • Reply 265 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

SMS messages sent by your carrier are free.

Thank god for small favors then.
  • Reply 266 of 359
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymous guy View Post

I went into an AT&T store today to confirm the news. Their suggestion?

Hold onto your unlimited plan for as long as you can.

Exactly!
  • Reply 267 of 359
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The moaning and wailing and caterwauling here is out-of-control. Pathetic, really.

Pay for what you eat!

• Reply 268 of 359
    Quote:

Thank god for small favors then.

Regardless of all this apparent "raping" over data fees and tethering, nothing compares to the cost of SMS per byte, yet these seems to be an acceptable by most people. Is SMS an initialism for Stockholm Messaging Syndrome?
  • Reply 269 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymous guy View Post

I went into an AT&T store today to confirm the news. Their suggestion?

Hold onto your unlimited plan for as long as you can.

It's too bad you can't add Tethering for $20 whilst keeping your $30 Unlimited data plan.
  • Reply 270 of 359
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    The 200MB for $15 plan would have been much more interesting if the customer automatically got upgraded to (and charged for) the 2GB for $25 plan for any month where the customer's usage exceeded 200MB. Charging $30 for 201MB usage is nothing but a scam.
  • Reply 271 of 359
    eye forgeteye forget Posts: 154member
    I'm a T-mobile subscriber on my phones. The iPad is my first experience with ATT.

I just spent 2 hours on the phone with 2 idiots and a very defensive 3rd party. In summary, even though I set the iPad up for auto renewal, my ATT account page on the iPad reads "There is no data plan.". So I renewed manually. Received a confirmation from ATT, check my account and I have now paid twice for another month. My iPad continues to tell me "There is no data plan.". It's real, I cannot access the web.

2 hours later I still have no data plan. I do have a bunch of nonsense that was relayed to me. And, in the end, I got the real story, ATT's systems messed up and did not process the renewals. It will take a day or two to get this resolved. Perhaps.

This entire experience is my first with ATT and T-Mobile's EDGE looks quite nice to no service at all.

As far as the cost goes, it's egregious. It's the fact Apple made the 3G iPad for ATT only in this country and ATT is taking advantage of it. Compared to any other place in the world, the cost is an absurdity.
  • Reply 272 of 359
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Oh if you've turned off texting then I think there's no way they can possibly reach you. Good point.

Or email. Yeah, email.
  • Reply 273 of 359
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

The 200MB for $15 plan would have been much more interesting if the customer automatically got upgraded to (and charged for) the 2GB for $25 plan for any month where the customer's usage exceeded 200MB. Charging $30 for 201MB usage is nothing but a scam.

I've had the auto-tier idea for years now and if I were running the show that is exactly what I'd do. Besides eliminating those wacky stories of excessive phone bills it would go a long way to giving customers peace of mind that the highest charge they could incur would be the unlimited plans. You could even charge a monthly fee for this option and have customers happy to be given such a choice. Of course, that is now only available for SMS and calls, but would at least give a little leeway for those typically under 200MB data per month.

However it's not a scam as they are upfront with the changes and their is nothing hidden (unless we find that they are willfully fudging their numbers, like rounding up data usage).
  • Reply 274 of 359
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

I'm a T-mobile subscriber on my phones. The iPad is my first experience with ATT.

I just spent 2 hours on the phone with 2 idiots and a very defensive 3rd party. In summary, even though I set the iPad up for auto renewal, my ATT account page on the iPad reads "There is no data plan.". So I renewed manually. Received a confirmation from ATT, check my account and I have now paid twice for another month. My iPad continues to tell me "There is no data plan.". It's real, I cannot access the web.

2 hours later I still have no data plan. I do have a bunch of nonsense that was relayed to me. And, in the end, I got the real story, ATT's systems messed up and did not process the renewals. It will take a day or two to get this resolved. Perhaps.

This entire experience is my first with ATT and T-Mobile's EDGE looks quite nice to no service at all.

As far as the cost goes, it's egregious. It's the fact Apple made the 3G iPad for ATT only in this country and ATT is taking advantage of it. Compared to any other place in the world, the cost is an absurdity.

Allow me to take it off your hands for a mere $100 less than you paid for it. If everything is so terrible, surely you'd trade $400 to have it off your hands, right?

Or do you hate it so much you want to keep it?
  • Reply 275 of 359
    babaloobabaloo Posts: 14member
    This is a great move by AT&T. It does many great things:

1) Differentiate AT&T from Verizon, now AT&T is cheaper.

2) For 98% of users, your data is cheaper

3) 2% of the users who acount for huge amounts of data will switch, which will actually speed the network up.

They also implement a text service to prevent bill shock. If you are currently a $30 unlimiter, you don't have to switch to the new plan. And if you are a power user, your probably already on Verizon and aren't thinking about switching anyway. I think its a great idea.
  • Reply 276 of 359
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:

You still have the ability to send and receive text messages even if you don't have a plan - you just pay per message. AT&T will send you a free text message that doesn't charge you, nor count against any plan you may or may not have, to let you know if you're close to the cap on your data plan.
  • Reply 277 of 359
    imoiimoi Posts: 15member
    Welcome to my cell rates world

A, cough, cough, proud Canadian

• Reply 278 of 359
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I certainly prefer the peace of mind of Unlimited data, but I also can't worked up over a company charging what they feel is right when I have other options available to me.

Good luck with that. History has shown that the cell carriers in the United States have a duopoly over us. As soon as they realized one carrier could get away with charging for incoming text messages, the rest followed suit. Now you have the recent example of AT&T nearly doubling their ETF just a few months after Verizon did the same.

What really pisses me off about this mess is AT&T is claiming that 2Gb is enough for 98% of their customers... but what's the one thing they haven't allowed yet on the iPhone? TETHERING. Once customers are freely allowed to tether, they're going to realize how quickly those 2Gb get used up just by day-to-day browsing. At least Verizon and Sprint give you the courtesy of keeping your phone and your tether data separate when you pay the extra tether fee, but AT&T is combining both devices into the same pool!

Think about it - AT&T is essentially charging you $20 for the privilege use up data more quickly, so they can charge you more when you go over. Greatest fricken scam since Scientology.
  • Reply 279 of 359
    imemineimemine Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1966goat View Post

You know, its funny. My kindle still has free internet access wherever I go....

What's a kindle?
  • Reply 280 of 359
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    While rereading this announcement something dawned on me... and this may have very well been brought up in one of many posts that came before this one.. so forgive me if I'm rehashing old stuff.

Apple was very quick to tout that the iPad would have a reasonably priced 3G data plan.

Now 2 months later AT&T pulls the plug on the plan.

Why?

1 - Sales on the iPad 3G were NOT as great as Apple indicated to AT&T and it was a contracted 'deal breaker' that gave AT&T the out it needed to revoke the all you can eat iPad plan to anyone not already signed up for it? I'd have a hard time believing this but who knows maybe the 3G demand (that went with the AT&T data plan) weren't as big as they though.. Remember the 3G iPad doesn't insist the user subscribes and as such lots haven't.

2 - Apple is preparing to strike out in the US market and provide iPhones for Verizon (lots of work but lots of possible payoff) and/or T-Mobile (less work but less upside too). Oh and before people misunderstand, rolling out phones for either wouldn't be a grand undertaking...

3 - AT&T and Apple were planning this all along.

Of the 3 options... #2 seems make the most sense.

I can't imagine Apple was expecting this to happen when the AT&T iPad talks were being finalized. So #3 seems highly unlikely.

Lack of iPad 3G sales? Again I was under the impression 3G sales were pretty strong and most stores were OOS on and off since it's release. However, this doesn't mean all the buyers are signing up for 3G the second they buy it. A fair number went to ebay and overseas so AT&T isn't gonna see any money from those.

Lastly.. and something that goes against my #2 option is this..

If the iPhone **IS** going to be available to Verizon and maybe even T-Mobile is THIS time time for AT&T to rase kill unlimited data AND overcharge for tethering for on a newly lobotomized data service?

Mixed signals for sure.