How to tell if you're eligible for AT&T's iPhone 4 upgrade pricing

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    maepadmaepad Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maepad View Post

Any AT&T customer whose upgrade date occurs before the end of 2010 will be eligible to buy Apple's new iPhone 4 at the $199 and $299 subsidized pricing up to six months early, with a new two-year contract.

My upgrade ends on OCT 2010...I was told by AT&T and APPLE that im not eligible for an upgrade since im not an iphone user!..I dont get it..if it said in BOLD PRINT onTOP --ANY AT&T CUSTOMER WHOSE UPGRADE OCCuRS BEFORE THEN END OF 2010 WILL BE ELIGIBLE....then how come theyre telling me im not entitled to that upgrade??..

...is it insider.com who made this mistake?
  • Reply 42 of 64
    stick159stick159 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maepad View Post

...is it insider.com who made this mistake?

@maepad I believe appleinsider did state that incorrectly. I am in the same boat as you. I am a blackberry user who wants the iPhone 4 but cant upgrade until August 2010. I was excited when I read the headline to this article but it is incorrect. If you read AT&T's statement it says "current iPhone customers" will be able to upgrade up to 6 months early.

I am thinking about just putting my sim in my friends 3gs, calling and adding a data package, then calling back and saying I'm a iPhone customer and my upgrade is less than 6 months away so why can't I upgrade.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LocalMotion View Post

NOPE. If you bought on launch day 09, you signed a 2-yr contract.

1. If you've spent over $100/month on your phone bill it's possible it moved your upgrade date between 12-18 months. (most people spend less than $100 so won't have upgrade date til 2011)

2. if you're upgrade date was moved anywhere into 2010 you'll get the New/Upgrade pricing.

But most likely you won't be eligible for full New/Upgrade pricing on launch. Just "Early Upgrade" pricing.

Just press *639# and it will tell you.

This is what it tells me:

I don't see anything that says early upgrade pricing, and this is just like last year for me. If I start a new contract, I get the lowest price. It's been that way since 08 for me.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    maepadmaepad Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stick159 View Post

@maepad I believe appleinsider did state that incorrectly. I am in the same boat as you. I am a blackberry user who wants the iPhone 4 but cant upgrade until August 2010. I was excited when I read the headline to this article but it is incorrect. If you read AT&T's statement it says "current iPhone customers" will be able to upgrade up to 6 months early.

I am thinking about just putting my sim in my friends 3gs, calling and adding a data package, then calling back and saying I'm a iPhone customer and my upgrade is less than 6 months away so why can't I upgrade.

it got me so excited all day thinking im eligible for upgrade..ive always wanted an iphone!..then i call and hearing that sad news.i was soooo disappointed! =(

I mean this isnt the only article that stated it incorrectly..i found 3 others,..you think if i printed them out, go to the store and fight it..i'll be eligible??
  • Reply 45 of 64
    On my plan, my fiancee's iPhone was eligible for the full upgrade, and mine wasn't for some reason (primary line). I e-mailed AT&T and basically said "what gives!"

Tonight I got an e-mail back from them basically saying "our bad, you get the upgrade too."

For those that don't have it, try asking. It's amazing what you can get sometimes if you just ask.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Call ATT on the phone..do not accept what a website is telling you. Ask for a manager, etc...they will get it done. They want you to buy a new phone and sign a new 2 year contract...making a phone call and speaking with a live person will get you much further than a cut and dry answer a web site gives you. Tell them you are going to switch to Verizon because you have a good feeling the iPhone will come out for them next year blah blah blah. The customer is always right and they do not want to lose your business. Make some demands..let your voice be heard.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    balsy2001balsy2001 Posts: 48member
    Am I the only one in the country that is going to keep their first gen iphone even after iphone 4G is one the market?
  • Reply 48 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

Am I the only one in the country that is going to keep their first gen iphone even after iphone 4G is one the market?

Probably not, but it seems like most people upgrade smart phones more often than that.

It looks like I don't get charged the $18 upgrade fee, but I'm also upgrading from a 3G. 3GS looked nice, but it looks like 4 was well worth the wait.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    I'm getting the shaft. I bought a subsidized 3G in July 2008. In July 2009, I bought a 3GS which was (properly) completely unsubsidized. So, I should be due a cheap upgrade - but it's telling me that I must pay "retail price" and that my upgrade date is Feb 2011. Should I not be due for a subsidized phone, having not paid less than full retail in 2 years? AT&T customer since they bought out LA Cellular about 10 years ago. Rat bastards!
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big KC View Post

I'm getting the shaft. I bought a subsidized 3G in July 2008. In July 2009, I bought a 3GS which was (properly) completely unsubsidized. So, I should be due a cheap upgrade - but it's telling me that I must pay "retail price" and that my upgrade date is Feb 2011. Should I not be due for a subsidized phone, having not paid less than full retail in 2 years? AT&T customer since they bought out LA Cellular about 10 years ago. Rat bastards!

Silly you trying to bring logic and reason to an argument like this.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Why do you have to go into the store to add a line? I was checking out the process at store.apple.com tonight and when I said I wanted to add line - so we can get another iphone and convert to family plan - I was directed to a page that said I'd need to come into the store.

That seems weird. Seems like someone coming in cold with no account would be the one that would need to come in.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    muddbullmuddbull Posts: 1member
    My text message from AT&T says "You may select equipment at our full retail pricing. An upgrade may be available on 02/20/2011."

I bought my iPhone 3GS on day one. I understand why I don't qualify for the cheap upgrade plan (since i'm on a cheaper voice plan), but not even the early upgrade deal, really?
  • Reply 53 of 64
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Doesn't seem too bad. In my area we get pretty decent coverage. So for myself, it's a win win to upgrade from my 3G.

I may do the same and maybe sell the 3G unlocked for $250 or so or just keep.

My concerns are the data pricing. Will video streaming use a lot of bandwidth, if so, watch out, the bills are going to huge and will probably get a droid. PS. Since I've been with AT&T 8-10 years, there is no early termination fee after this Aug. The question is, what's the best plan for family talk (10 lines ala A list) and one more phone. Two phones on AT&T.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wolfies167 View Post

I cannot believe Apple would risk sales when they only released the 3Gs a year ago and most of the customers are in this "boat." Hope this helps anyone who is in my situation.

Only a year ago? Heck new Android phones come out every other week and that's pointed to as an advantage - your upset because Apple is on an annual release cycle?!?

How many Android carriers are shifting eligibility for subsidized upgrades? Implying their is a risk in lost sales implies you may switch - exactly who do you think is going to give you a better deal?

At least the 3gs gets the new 4 OS for free. Thats more than most android phones and most previous smart phones before the iPhone. Perhaps a little perspective is in order?
  • Reply 55 of 64
    "As a valued customer, we can offer an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and waive the $18 upgrade fee"..

odd
  • Reply 56 of 64
    So I just spoke to ATT. Don't hold your breath if you're not the primary on a family plan. I bought on launch day last year, actually was on my own plan until a couple months ago and joined the family plan as it saved a lot of moola. We have two data cards as well so our total AT&T bill is over $400/month for 4 phones and 2 cards. AT&T explained I was eligable as of Feb 2011 and refused to acknowledge that some people were moved up. I explained to the guy that it's actually cheaper for me to pay the termination fee and sign back up to get the promotional rate than go out and buy before I'm eligable. I asked about the $18 and he said he didn't know anything about that. I don't mind as much that I'm not eligable, but I wish kore that they were transparent about how it was determined bc I sure don't see a pattern. Also, I have bough iPhones on launch day since the original launch day....shouldn't that count for something?
  • Reply 57 of 64
    bored28bored28 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I just dialed to check and it said I could have an upgrade with a two year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. I bought my 3GS on July 7th last year.

That is what mine says too. In fact, when I go to wireless.att.com and My Account, it says I can get a new iPhone 3Gs for 149. According to At&t's iPhone upgrade site, that pricing is Upgrade Pricing.

Just FYI, I purchase a 3GS on release day last year.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 58 of 64
    hello.. can any of u at&t customers tell me something.. i am not from america.. do i NEED to be an at&t existing customer to buy an iphone non subsidized? or can i jus walk off the streets and buy one? also will i need an american adderss/creditcard to buy one non subsidized? thanks
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post

To take advantage of the early upgrade ($399/$499) pricing, will we be able to pre-order/reserve the iPhone 4 on the web or will we have to visit an AT&T store?

Okay I had the same question. I called Apple this morning and asked, "if all the pricing options are available at the time of pre-order?" They said yes! So Lucky you and I can take advantage of pre-order.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    mjimji Posts: 25member
    I'm less than a year into my contract and for some reason I'm upgrade eligible with an $18 upgrade fee.