Apple iAd plans to eat up half the mobile ad market

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Is anyone else really excited to check out an iAd.. and do you also feel like a dirty corporate whore because of it??
  • Reply 22 of 28
    rorybalmerrorybalmer Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

I sincerely hope that Apples current business model where people sell quality apps for very little money continues and does not get overrun by developers trying to squeeze out a profit from crappy apps full of ads.

I like this statement. That's something I never thought of before.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    merlinwmerlinw Posts: 35member
    We will need to have a adblocker on our iPhones and iPod Touch?

Sucks.

If I pay for an App, (full price) I do not expect ADS!!!!!

What is next, ADS in iCal or Pages on my Mac?

And what will developers do? If I bought an App a year ago, and paid the full price for it, will an update insert ads in it?

Will an ad free app now be double or triple the current price?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmrtzzz View Post

Incredible this is presented as a hot new feature. I hate ads on my tv, on my radio, on the internet. I'll hate it even more when they invade the iPhone I paid so much for, in apps I also paid for, on a screen that's already very small and that has provider (T-Mobile, Holland) that already has tremedous dificulties to provide any connection at all.

• Reply 24 of 28
    nondualnondual Posts: 78member
    Ads are here - they are ubiquitous. They are not going anywhere, so why not at least make them tolerable and perhaps even pleasant?

One would hope that Apple could also devise a 'genius' system so that I see ads that are tailored to my actual buying patterns. Is there anything more annoying about TV ads than that 85% or more of the ads simply do not fit your situation? I don't need to see ads for tampons, new cars (just bought one), women's shavers, etc.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    ricmacricmac Posts: 65member
    My God! Doesn't anyone try to get some information before running at the mouth? Ads on the internet are a fact of life, they are not going away. Apple offers a new way of doing ads that are totally easy to ignore. YOU HAVE TO CLICK ON A BANNER in order to get to the ad! Am I the only one who has trained my eye to ignore 99% of all the banners out there?
  • Reply 26 of 28
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

My God! Doesn't anyone try to get some information before running at the mouth? Ads on the internet are a fact of life, they are not going away. Apple offers a new way of doing ads that are totally easy to ignore. YOU HAVE TO CLICK ON A BANNER in order to get to the ad! Am I the only one who has trained my eye to ignore 99% of all the banners out there?

good points

apple has the consumer centric way of ads its your choice not the platform

apple business model is to develop and strengthen its platform

selling more product

when building a platform you have to make it easy and the most desirable

so what do people want, the banner ad mess of most websties

interesting the biggest reason people embraced google for search is that IT HAD NO BANNER ADS

and was quick. i remember AOL, Yahoo, etc in the early days before google

now apple and SJ is making it better for the consumer

i don't want the google/ android approach....

what better way to accomplish the goals of SJ

any suggestions???

how many here b...tched with all those cpu hog flash ads you didn't have a choice till the likes of "click to flash" well if you want to view the ad, it won't eat up your resources
  • Reply 27 of 28
    tyancytyancy Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmrtzzz View Post

Incredible this is presented as a hot new feature. I hate ads on my tv, on my radio, on the internet. I'll hate it even more when they invade the iPhone I paid so much for, in apps I also paid for, on a screen that's already very small and that has provider (T-Mobile, Holland) that already has tremedous dificulties to provide any connection at all.

iAds are about nothing but money and no matter how they may spin it, these ads are NOT in the interest of the consumer. What Apple is doing is bribing developers to support iOS and giving them a way to pressure consumers to either pay more for an app or face the annoyance of ads.

When people play online games they expect to encounter ads, but not when they are paying for an application. How would you like to see a constant stream of ads at the bottom of the interface for Photoshop, Word, or any other application?

I remember when you paid for cable TV and the related movie channels and, because you were paying for it, there were no commercials. That was the whole idea in the first place. These days, not only are you paying for the service but some channels such as A&E turn 90 minute movies into three hour marathons by splitting air time evenly between entertainment and commercials.

I do not want ads on my iPhone or iPad, Mr. Jobs.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TYancy View Post

I do not want ads on my iPhone or iPad, Mr. Jobs.

But they've been here literally the whole time.