Just Canceled iPad Order

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Anyone else do the same thing after seeing the new iPhone 4? I have had a 3G iPad on order for about a week now. Was REALLY looking forward to getting it but after seeing the new iPhone display, camera, and general styling I decided to cancel the iPad order and wait for generation 2. I suspect these features are precursors of whats to come in the next iPad.

Not to mention the generation 2 will likely have 4G hardware and will hopefully be CDMA for Verizon. Just curious if anyone else is waiting for gen 2 after seeing the highlights of todays presentation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Not really sure how an iPhone can replace iPad, though after getting iPad 3G, my iPhone is pretty much only being used as a phone and something to take a quick note with.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    dougcdougc Posts: 29member
    I didn't mean to sound like I thought it was a replacement for the iPhone just hints at where the design and technology will likely lead for the next iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Not really sure how an iPhone can replace iPad, though after getting iPad 3G, my iPhone is pretty much only being used as a phone and something to take a quick note with.

• Reply 3 of 35
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougc View Post

Just Canceled iPad Order

You just made my day.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Quote:

I didn't mean to sound like I thought it was a replacement for the iPhone just hints at where the design and technology will likely lead for the next iPad.

Get iPad now, enjoy it , sell it in a year for rev.2. Life is too short to always wait for the next update. iPad 3G is hands down the greatest tech gadget I have ever owned. I am sure rev. 2 will be fantastic, but rev. new is well worth buying now.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    lineyliney Posts: 19member
    We're always waiting for the next revision of any high tech gadget, but there's no telling exactly when it will come. I initially bought a 16 gig. wireless iPad and found out right away that it wouldn't satisfy me while I waited for the REAL iPad came out some time in the future. So I returned it and got a 3G iPad. I figured I might have to wait a year, or even more, and I'd be stuck in wireless zones or not connected. And the iPad NEEDS to be connected to really fulfill its promise.

The rate plans offered were a big reason for my decision to get the 3G. No contract, buy a little, buy a lot, only when you needed it. The changes are a shock coming only about a month later. I love my iPad, but some of its promise of future possibilities using my Netflix app died with AT&T's switcheroo. I don't travel as much now that I'm not attending out-of-state conferences, but I really like to have options, just in case I want to watch some media on my "media consumption device" when I'm out of wi-fi range.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Well, since iPad is not available in Hong Kong until July, and iOS 4 is available for iPad in September, I think I'll wait to get my iPad until September. That way I'll get iOS 5.0 for free when it comes out too.

I'm also looking forward to the new Touch!!!! This is going to be awesome.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I have an iPad 3G. I plan to upgrade my iPhone 3GS to an iP4. And I plan to buy the next iPad when it comes out. One does not cancel the other. It is like canceling your Mac Pro order because the iPad was announced. Whatever. There are probably ten million people who are glad to see you get out of the line.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Same here.

iPhone 3GS and now an iPad 32GB WiFi (got a 3G-WiFi device so I can use my MBA, too). Will probably upgrade to the iP4 if SoftBank gives us a good deal, which seems likely as they did last year for the 3GS.

I think the iP4 will complement the iPad well, especially since there are times I won't have my iPad with me. The better camera and iMovie are cool sales points IMO, enough to drag me away from the 3GS. Hopefully, Apple will also make iMovie for the iPad so that when users run out of onboard memory they can transfer and go. In the meantime, I have Reel Director which is awesome.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    For me it's all about the resolution for the iPhone (iPod Touch in my case, I still will never use a touch screen or QWERTY phone).

And it's all about the screen size for the iPad.

Combine the two -- put a 300dpi screen in an iPad -- and I'll be in gadget heaven. But I'll still get a Touch too.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    It may be a few years before the iPad is blessed with a high dpi screen. At over 300dpi, a screen that size would be comprised of an absurd number of pixels, so many pixels that the current hardware is likely not sufficient.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    The iPad has no room to grow, because if it gains more features it's going to need a more powerful processor that generates more heat, enough to need cooling, fans and vents, not to mention a larger battery.

Anyone who thinks the iPad is the wave of the future is blinded by marketing.

Sure Apple is making their own A4 processors to run the thing and other iDevices, but that's just a cost saving measure to increase profits. All the processor R&D has been done by the big boys Intel and IBM and THEY couldn't come up with a solution to the heat/performance problem.

So basically the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch etc are frozen in processor capability, and now the 13" MacBook Pro is frozen using previous versions of Intel processors instead of the newer ones.

The MacBook Air didn't get a update, so it's likely it's frozen too.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

The iPad has no room to grow, because if it gains more features it's going to need a more powerful processor that generates more heat, enough to need cooling, fans and vents, not to mention a larger battery.

Anyone who thinks the iPad is the wave of the future is blinded.

Sure Apple is making their own A4 processors to run the thing and other iDevices, but that's just a cost saving measure to increase profits. All the processor R&D has been done by the big boys Intel and IBM and THEY couldn't come up with a solution to the heat/performance problem.

So basically the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch etc are frozen in processor capability, and now the 13" MacBook Pro is frozen using previous versions of Intel processors instead of the newer ones.

Seriously? You're claiming that there will be no more improvements in mobile computing performance?

Are you purposefully trying to ruin your own reputation and credibility?
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Seriously? You're claiming that there will be no more improvements in mobile computing performance?

Nothing significant, slight improvements, but not enough to introduce new substantial hardware/software features like what used to occur on computers.

It takes a lot of money to develop new processors in a rapid cycle and Apple isn't going to waste money when they can take advantage of the economies of scale using processors from Intel or others.

So if processors are not going to improve, the other avenue is making their own for the long term to increase margins, thus it means no processor improvements for the hardware it uses.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a dual core A4 sneaking it's way onto Mac laptops in the future, it all depends upon how many Macs are sold as Windows bootcamp machines.

Quote:

Are you purposefully trying to ruin your own reputation and credibility?

When you get old enough, you don't give a ratts behind what others think of you.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:

If iPad isn't the future, why is everyone else coming out with one?

Wouldn't buying a stock processor off the shelf have been far cheaper than developing their own?
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:

Nothing significant, slight improvements, but not enough to introduce new substantial hardware/software features like what used to occur on computers.

It takes a lot of money to develop new processors in a rapid cycle and Apple isn't going to waste money when they can take advantage of the economies of scale using processors from Intel or others.

So if processors are not going to improve, the other avenue is making their own for the long term to increase margins, thus it means no processor improvements for the hardware it uses.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a dual core A4 sneaking it's way onto Mac laptops in the future, it all depends upon how many Macs are sold as Windows bootcamp machines.

When you get old enough, you don't give a ratts behind what others think of you.

So you actually are claiming that tablets, laptops, and smart phones won't get any faster! Thanks for confirming.

It is probably a good thing then that you don't care about how others perceive you.

(Welcome to my ignore list)
  • Reply 16 of 35
    And don't fall for the 4G hype the "other" carriers are touting. Different carriers use different systems. AT&T, for all their faults, actually have a fast 3G. It will be years before 4G is REALLY fast. Plenty of articles on this topic. YMMV, but by end of summer AT&T plans to have a faster 3G in place for major areas - on par with the "4G" early and very slow roll outs.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Anyone else do the same thing after seeing the new iPhone 4?

I really hope not because what you did is really stupid.

Quote:

I have had a 3G iPad on order for about a week now. Was REALLY looking forward to getting it but after seeing the new iPhone display, camera, and general styling I decided to cancel the iPad order and wait for generation 2.

The two devices serve entirely different needs, I'm not sure why you would even bother to compare the two. As for the camera do you seriously expect to use the iPad as a camera?

Quote:

I suspect these features are precursors of whats to come in the next iPad.

So an upgrade iPad is a given, in fact I'd say it is needed real soon now.

Quote:

Not to mention the generation 2 will likely have 4G hardware and will hopefully be CDMA for Verizon. Just curious if anyone else is waiting for gen 2 after seeing the highlights of todays presentation.

I wouldn't say I'm waiting for gen #2 but rather now that iP4 is out I have to decide which way to spend my money. The fact is being a bit more rational I don't go out and order stuff unless I'm sure it is the best path for me to follow. So it isn't a question of gen 2 but rather of the two devices which is the one I'm willing to spend fixed funds on.

In many ways I see the iPad as a home run hit. For a first generation device it is very good if slightly expensive. However it isn't and can't realistically replace a cell phone in the future. So if I can't buy both this year which do I go for? Switch to a vastly improved iPhone or milk the 3G for a while longer and get an iPad? I haven't decided yet but the thought of a second generation iPad doesn't enter into the equation. Plus there is the remote possibility that iPad will get reved with the iPods in the fall

Dave
  • Reply 18 of 35
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

There is absolutely nothing right in the above statement. First tear downs actually show a large number of chips being used so these can be integrated into future SoCs. Second the A4 isn't even built on bleeding edge technology process wise. ARM and Charted have already announced prototype A9 devices built on a 22nm process that give a 40% performance boost over other A9 products at the same power levels. A9 is a more powerful processor that the ARM A8 used in Apples A4. Given all of that most of the power used by the iPad goes to the back light, the industry continues to improve there too.

Quote:

Well at least here I do share a similar concern. Many people don't have a clue as to what they are buying in iPad but do so based on Apples reputation and marketing. Even then iPad is an incredible product.

Quote:

More BS!!!! IBM and Intel have never bothered with low power. At least not in the way ARM has owned the market. Further ARM is a very big boy indeed with processors every where.

Quote:

Apparently you are not at all familiar with what Intel and AMD are up to for 2011.

In any event anybody reading your post just needs to laugh and move on.

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Ok, whatever.

I think when Steve said 'the end of the PC age is approaching' really means the PC is no longer going to be the sole device one does all their computing, gaming etc. on.

Rather people will buy separate devices for separate needs and the processors in those devices will not see as much radical change as they did during the PC era.

Thus the reason why Apple developed the A4 and why no processor improvements have occurred in the new iPhone 4. Why the MacBook Pro 13" didn't get a processor upgrade. Why the 15" and 17" MBP's are running very hot and likely will not see any further processor improvements for quite some time.

It's good for the consumer, because taking care of their computers/devices now will save them a lot of money as there is no need to upgrade for better processor performance, there won't be any worth bothering over, except in desktops.

Therefore, the iPad is a niche use device, just like the iPhone, iPod, iTouch etc. With no significant improvement in processor performance coming, therefore it will be limited in it's software abilities and unable to advance much.

Right now the iPad is a new toy and has fad status, but it's not a good general purpose tool because it's limited in performance (only a 1Ghz processor). It's ties to a closed App store ecosystem is designed to keep the apps from overpowering the device and making it slow in my opinion. Thus why no CPU hog Flash.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Yet the alternative to iPad for inexpensive, lightweight portable computing is... a netbook!? Have you actually used a netbook for internet browsing? The experience leaves a lot to be desired. Whereas the iPad freaking screams.

And then there's gaming. Do you play games on a netbook? Get a PSP? OK, now you've got 2 devices to my one.

You keep your netbook and PSP. I'll hold on to my iPad TYVM.