Apple's iMovie exclusive to iPhone 4, not for iPad

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I don't know who this Joe Consumer guy is, but already I don't like him.

Your reasoning is just plain faulty. The iPhone is certainly in no way inherently more viable as a video editing platform than the iPad. In fact the much smaller display would argue just the opposite.

No, fool.

You obviously don't get it. The iPad, while a great device, is not "better" than the iPhone in any regard. Least of all, the new iPhone 4.

The new iPhone has two built in cameras, one that shoots HD video. It goes without saying, that it makes the most sense to have an immediate solution for trimming, editing, and publishing a "finished" iMovie project in seconds without having to do anything, or any other device.

This is the POINT. The PURPOSE. Yes, there are million other ways to do it, and do it differently. Who cares? This is about ONE device, in your pocket, that can now do this.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No, fool.

You obviously don't get it. The iPad, while a great device, is not "better" than the iPhone in any regard. Least of all, the new iPhone 4.

The new iPhone has two built in cameras, one that shoots HD video. It goes without saying, that it makes the most sense to have an immediate solution for trimming, editing, and publishing a "finished" iMovie project in seconds without having to do anything, or any other device.

This is the POINT. The PURPOSE. Yes, there are million other ways to do it, and do it differently. Who cares? This is about ONE device, in your pocket, that can now do this.

Well, fool, you are responding to my question to someone else not you, so possibly that's why you answered a question I didn't ask. I think that's called really not getting it.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Of course the iPhone version of iMovie will not work on iPad.

The iPhone is extremely limited due to its size, no matter how good the screen is.

The iPad is more conducive to true computing as far as the creation and editing of content due to its size alone.

therefore, a little movie app that lets you trim a couple parts (edit is too strong a word for this app) is not appropriate for the iPad.

iPad runs the same OS, but that's it. As far as apps, I expect to see more of a Final Cut Studio for iPad available before too long. that wouldn't really work on the phone.

It does take time to create apps. And it takes even more time to create truly outstanding apps. As it is, I am shocked out how often Apple turns out revolutionary, high quality software.

but it is no surprise that some software for the iPhone will not be available or will not be the same as it is on iPad. You will get more fully featured software on the iPad.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mael View Post

This is just ludicrous that you can't edit an iMovie file from an iPhone with a Mac.

It's right up there with iPad and Mac iWork incompatibilities.

Apple controls the whole damn widget, there should be no excuses for this kind of disconnect.

It's called iLife 09 and was released Jan 7, 2009...the "excuse" is that the iLife team has been pretty busy in making the iLife apps and there was no iLife 10. If the situation persists in iLife 11 then there's a problem. Likewise iWork 09 was also in Jan 2009.

Expect the next generation of iLife/iWork suites to have better iOS App integration and more MobileMe improvements for iOS app workflow...probably by Jan 2011...
  • Reply 45 of 47
    dcdttudcdttu Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

More likely, iMovie for iPhone won't work on iPad right out of the gate because it takes advantage of operating system features within iOS 4, which won't be supported on iPad until later this fall.

Carlson also reported that iMovie projects won't transfer to the desktop version of iMovie for additional editing, although the movies it renders are in standard formats that could be imported into a desktop project. Movies can also be directly exported to YouTube, MobileMe galleries, emailed or sent as an MMS message, in Medium 640x360, Large 960x540 or HD 1280x720 formats.

In the Android world, this has been called fragmentation. Welcome to annoying!
  • Reply 46 of 47
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

You really want something more complex? I assume you are relating complexity to power here -- remember what processor the iPad is using. Maybe when Apple goes to a multicore chip.

Remember what processor is running in the iPhone? Seems to do quite well for itself.

I expect iMovie will work on the iPad when iOS 4 gets released on it later.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

Obviously, the iPad ain't got a camera. Duh!

No problem - just connect one via the USB port.