New Mac mini folds in Apple TV features (photos)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

God, the new Mac mini is such a gorgeous piece of engineering. It's a shame Apple's steep profit margins have the whole thing priced nearly $200 higher than it really ought to be.

I agreed with you the first day and the day after this was introduced. Thinking about it a little bit more I realized I could hook it to my HDTV and not bother to pay for a monitor. Then all I'd need is the wireless keyboard and magic mouse (will wait till a wireless one comes out). Definitely a bargain then. I believe the one year warranty is good enough to so I'd forgo that unlike what I did with the MacBook.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

"but provides a convenient SD Card slot in its place"

i'm not sure what is "convenient" about the location of this SD slot for a product that is designed to sit in a TV unit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It's designed to be a computer. One of its peripheral uses is in a TV unit.

Even when being used as a computer, having the SD slot in the back is far from being "convenient".

Any of you have a device (camera, card reader, mac,...) with an SD slot? Try inserting a card with the slot facing away from you. Is it as easy as you thought? Now do it with important pictures on the card.

I can see a lot of SD cards getting scratched up or worse, broken in half.

Why don't the iMacs have a SD slot in the back?
  • Reply 23 of 53
    charelcharel Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Then all I'd need is the wireless keyboard and magic mouse (will wait till a wireless one comes out). Definitely a bargain then. I believe the one year warranty is good enough to so I'd forgo that unlike what I did with the MacBook.

The magic mouse is only available as wireless, so there is no reason to wait.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Obviously a very slow news day...

Bingo... I was like, another Mac mini article? WTF? I appreciate AppleInsider's efforts, but...
  • Reply 25 of 53
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I wonder if Apple will add HDMI inputs to their displays. Electrically, DVI and HDMI are identical. I got a simple adapter cable and can connect my MBP directly to my 60" HDTV's HDMI input.

Since HDMI handles hi-def video plus surround sound, it sounds like a worthy successor to DVI. Not so sure that it could replace USB 2 and FireWire 800 though. There doesn't seem to be any provision for "bus power" but it seems like throughput is very, very high.

Further down the road, Apple will probably go with wireless video connections to their displays with WiDi, or whatever it's called. Steve seems to hate wires, so that's got to be on the hardware team's to-do list.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    All of this is a pointless exercise in regards to the Mini being a real home media center device and I'm sure Apple is fully aware of this. The mini is a computer. The Apple TV is the better solution. The problem for the Apple TV is content and not hardware. There simply was no reason for the average person to replace the Apple TV because it didn't replace anything.

Could it use a version of the iOS? Sure, but unless Apple manages to convince content owners that they can make as much money (or more) as they do now through a subscription service nothing will change.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    But I cannot justify the price (more so as I am european so I'll pay way more than the US) for such a computer in my living room.

I currently own 1 iMac and 1 MacBook Pro, so having a third computer just to connect it to the TV seems a bit too much.

I own an AppleTV and it provides what I am looking for, although it desperately needs an update. Count me with the ones that long for an iOS powered AppleTV with AppStore, better codec support (or at least better HD support). I don't need/want a fully fledged computer in the living room.

A couple of things:

- the Front Row on OSX looks nothing like the one on the AppleTV which is much better for navigating from the TV.

- I don't want to have a mouse and keyboard for doing basic tasks such as watch a video

- to surf the internet I have a notebook, an iPhone and probably will get an iPad

- the price is really high

I might consider it if it gets an update on front row, and if the price decreases.

But the idea which floated around of having a device with apps, based on the iOS platform (very low energy consuption) tempted me a lot.

I don't think, however, that we will see an AppleTV update in september, particularly because the MacMini is clearly aimed at the living room as well, and the new design speaks about the fact Apple wants to push this device forward. Coupled with Job's statements at AllThingsDigital where he basically states AppleTV will continue to be a hobby.

Sad, I like that little device, would trade it for the Mini if it had an acceptable price tag, although, for a specific living room use, it has shortcomings.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    zorgzorg Posts: 1member
    Hi Guys,

if you already have new MacMini, let me ask about the noise hard drive & DVD player delivers.

Once I used previous MacMini under my TV in the leaving room it was quite annoying the noise and vibration it delivers as well as fan noise. Is it better now with new MacMini, is it silent?

Thank you in advance,

BRG, Z
  • Reply 29 of 53
    What disappoints me the most is the price of the new Mini. I just bought a Mini (early 2009) and I'm glad I did before the price went up. While the speed boost isn't that great a difference between my Mini, the hd space would have been nice. But not for that price. In a recession, I think Apple made a mistake in raising the price. It will just add to the Windows fanbois in the media dinging Apple on their "boutique" pricing.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I really like this design. Everything is so solid, from the one-piece case to the big solid removal base. I have one and it just reeks quality.

The only things I don't like about it are the colour (in the pictures it looks like a beautiful silver, but in reality it is more of a metallic grey), and the logo (it is a bit too large and "enthusiastic"). But those things aren't really design, just facade. The actual design is beautiful.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I went to my local AppleStore yesterday to have a look at the new mac mini. They only had one unit on display and it was tucked away in the corner with no absolutely publicity. You would not have noticed they had just released a new model. I didn't see a single person look at it in contrast to the iPad which had packed crowds around it and has done every time I've been to the store. I think this says a lot about the future direction for Apple. I doubt the mac mini gets much love in Apple and is seen more as a necessity to appease certain market sectors such as education rather than a strategically important product in the Mac portfolio.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    I think the new design is great. It is high quality, it looks good, it looks solid, and I would get one if (a) my three year old home computer (bulky and noisy as it is) wasn't just as fast, and (b) it didn't cost 50% more than my three year old home computer cost at the time (although I know that home-assembly does cut out the middleman and isn't directly comparable).

However I am hoping to talk work into getting one for me to replace my laptop with the broken screen that I have to use for all my work (with a 22" Dell low-end TN monitor).

And I expect that if Intel doesn't really improve the graphics to meet Apple's needs next year within Sandy Bridge, the next Mac Mini will be utilising an AMD Llano processor (quad-core with HD5570 graphics built-in) in next year's update. I'll get that. The GeForce 320M is nice (and makes Intel's Core i3/i5 offerings look lame), but it's only 48 shader cores, and Llano will have between 240 and 480 shader cores.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    I look over at my now dead Mac Mini G4 with a sigh. Then I see the brand new unibody Mini and I'm thinking.... DO WANT!!!1!1!11 The end.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The HP EliteBook offers an ulta-slim Blu-ray player for $400 extra and the Sony Vaio Z offers it for $500 extra. Both of them are tray-loading drives.

So, how could Apple offer the entire Mac mini with a drive that costs even more than the upgrade option they offer for a price that is about 60-70% of the entire price of the item?

Not to mention that I'm not aware of ANY BR drive that's small enough to fit into the available space in the Mini.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

What I'd really like to see is HDMI on Mac laptops. All my friends will show videos they find on the internet to each other on the TV in the living room on their Windows Laptops with HDMI. That's BS, Macs should have that, too. Now that they've started releasing computers with HDMI I hope they spread the love.

If you really need that, adapters are available. Honestly, though, I can't imagine ever carrying my laptop to a friend's house to show videos on their TV, so it would be wasted expense for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Even when being used as a computer, having the SD slot in the back is far from being "convenient".

Any of you have a device (camera, card reader, mac,...) with an SD slot? Try inserting a card with the slot facing away from you. Is it as easy as you thought? Now do it with important pictures on the card.

Broken in half? I'd suggest not letting gorillas handle your computer equipment.

I agree that it's not convenient and it makes far more sense for it to be in the front, but I think suggesting that SD cards are going to be broken in half en masse is just a bit OTT.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post

What disappoints me the most is the price of the new Mini. I just bought a Mini (early 2009) and I'm glad I did before the price went up. While the speed boost isn't that great a difference between my Mini, the hd space would have been nice. But not for that price. In a recession, I think Apple made a mistake in raising the price. It will just add to the Windows fanbois in the media dinging Apple on their "boutique" pricing.

This has been stated repeatedly.

Compared to the older entry level model, the new one has:

- New sturdier case - probably with better heat dissipation

- Marginally faster CPU

- Much faster GPU

- Twice the RAM capacity

- HDMI output

- SD slot (remember how 'critical' this was when all the whiners were complaining about the iPad not having it?)

- 25% reduction in energy consumption

- Considerably thinner (although volume was reduced only slightly)

Now, I can see that those improvements might not be sufficient to encourage you to spend the money, but it's certainly enough that a $100 increase isn't terribly out of line for the target audience. If it's too much, people won't buy them and Apple will have to lower the price or drop the product.

Meanwhile, the older model is being discounted now, so all the people complaining about the price of the new one can get the old one even cheaper.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post

Apple hasn't raised the price. It has reduced the model offerings. Now there's one configuration. If one were to order that one configuration with 4 gigs of RAM, the price here in Canada would be $50 cheaper than the previous top model that came with 4 gigs. The processor is a little slower (2.4 vs. 2.53) but the graphics are significantly better. On balance you're getting comparable performance with a new form factor for $50 cheaper. Or, for a relatively modest price increase over the previous base model, you get a faster processor, better graphics and an improved form factor.

Take your pick but either way the Mini is not a poorer value now than it was a couple of weeks ago. Apple has eliminated a lower-cost variation but the basic value for the Mini remains intact.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David | Dah?veed View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

What's that big box attached to the cable in the picture?
  • Reply 37 of 53
    senjazsenjaz Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Why don't the iMacs have a SD slot in the back?

Convenience is relative. And in this case inserting an SD card in the back of a Mac Mini is more convenient than reading an SD card on the old model. That involved buying a separate SD card reader, and plugging it into the USB port on the back of the machine. All that before you can insert your SD card.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raseri View Post

SD reader in the back? Seriously Apple?

The SD card isn't for the guy who puts in under the TV, it's for the guy who uses it on his desk, or gal.

Still, majorly inconvenient position, yes.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not to mention that I'm not aware of ANY BR drive that's small enough to fit into the available space in the Mini.

If you really need that, adapters are available. Honestly, though, I can't imagine ever carrying my laptop to a friend's house to show videos on their TV, so it would be wasted expense for me.

During the design phase, likely the available space in the Mini was also being designed. My guess is that they made the case the proper size to hold the guts they chose.

Do you think they first designed the case and then chose guts that would fit inside?

Lots and lots of people plug their laptops into the TV using HDMI. In my home, my laptop, my kid's netbook and his friend's laptops (except Matt, who has a MBP) all get video plugged into HDMI regularly, and even more often they get plugged into the 5.1 channel sound system. Indeed, patching the music in while entertaining guests is a daily occurrence. (I regularly overhear stuff like "Hey dude, check out this sick beat!" )

The kids love how my system is set up to make it ultra-convenient to plug their laptops in and show stuff to the gang.

Matt laments the fact that his Mac is not equipped to join into the fun.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    The new macmini has some additional features over the previous models that would useful to me. I currently have two mac minis.

One is installed as a media server in our family room. It is connected to an old DLP 720p Samsung with no digital tuner through DVI. Attached to it is an EyeTV for viewing and recording OTA broadcasts in HD. Digital audio output goes to the stereo system. An additional Plextor unit views and records satellite tv through composite video. I can also hook up a Hauppauge unit to view and record other sources through component video with digital audio. It has gigabit ethernet to connect to other macs in the house. I use a magic mouse and wireless keyboard.

The other older macmini is installed in the bedroom (hidden) and is connected to a 1080p 24 inch wall mounted tv through HDMI. A newer EyeTV unit is used to view and record digital qam cable. I use front row to access recordings made on this or any other source on the local network. I use a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard on occasion.

Both units are very quiet and reliable. I can upgrade each through my MacBook Pro with screen sharing. Front Row coordinates with EyeTV to allow access to just about anything on the system with using a mouse. The EyeTV remote works with Front Row.