Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 257
    hardynhhardynh Posts: 20member
    As a suggestion, you ought to make sure your favorite apps have been upgraded before installing iOS 4.0 or you might find some big problems with some apps. There is a huge backlog of apps in the review queue at Apple. I have apps that haven't even made it to the "in review" stage yet and they have been there for a week. Usually, Apple moves them into in review pretty fast.
  • Reply 42 of 257
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Looks like us occasional grumpy skeptics were proved right this time and that Apple DID NOT enable wallpaper on the 3g.
  • Reply 43 of 257
    kulak18kulak18 Posts: 16member
    I believe the word is out, it has taken me 26 minutes to download. Oh well, let's hope this is all worth it.
  • Reply 44 of 257
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Hmmm. My suspicion is that Apple doesn't want the iPad to have 512 MB yet. Remember the argument we had with some people here about the amount of memory? We were saying that 256 wasn't enough, and they were saying that as Apple has 256, it obviously was enough. Well, I think the fact that the iPhone 4 has 512 shows that 256 ISN'T enough. It's why, apparently, the new video editing app won't work (according to Apple) on the iPad, supposedly even with iOS 4; not enough RAM. It's not the cost of the RAM.

[...]

While I hope I'm wrong, I don't expect to see 512 until next year.

Yeah, it's mostly wishful thinking on my part. I was an advocate that 256MB RAM is enough for the iPhone for multitasking whilst contending that 128MB RAM simply isn't adequate. I even showed that using screenshots of the RAM used with various load times. 256MB RAM not being enough for the iPhone/Touch seems to fall squarely on iMovie editing, as you mention.

With the iPad being announced nearly a half year before the iPhone 4 and being released a couple months ahead it may be that they didn't even consider that as a requirement (even though I returned mine because Safari can't pages well without the risk of reloading) and you've mentioned before that Apple keeps their employees compartmentalized to an excessive degree. Though, i can't imagine that those working on the A4 for the iPad aren't also the same ones working on the A4 for the iPhone which makes me wonder if it was a late inclusion of iMovie for the iOS that was the motivator for the iPhone 4's 512MB RAM. If iMovie is a success, which I think it will be, I have to think they'll make a more robust version for the iPad available (hopefully) this Autumn with the release of iOS v4.0, which is very basis for my "wishful thinking".
  • Reply 45 of 257
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Hmmm. My suspicion is that Apple doesn't want the iPad to have 512 MB yet. Remember the argument we had with some people here about the amount of memory? We were saying that 256 wasn't enough, and they were saying that as Apple has 256, it obviously was enough. Well, I think the fact that the iPhone 4 has 512 shows that 256 ISN'T enough. It's why, apparently, the new video editing app won't work (according to Apple) on the iPad, supposedly even with iOS 4; not enough RAM. It's not the cost of the RAM.

I think that it was deliberate. Despite what some have said, it's obvious the A4 chip package can have more than 256. The RAM is just another module in the package.

While editing on a phone is great, it won't compete with the Macbook for sales. Editing on the iPad would. I believe that until Apple decides exactly where the iPad sits within Apple's sales line-up, they don't want it more directly competing with the more expensive model.

While I hope I'm wrong, I don't expect to see 512 until next year.

From what I've heard Apple seemed really surprised by iPad sales. It could be that they decided to cut cost and watched how sales went.

I don't think they held it back to not have it compete with laptop sales. They're many other factors which necessitate the need for a desktop.

I surprised by the lack of foresight by Apple to not put in 512MB RAM. It is only two months old and it will be lacking features the new iPhone has.

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised by a September iPod event update. Chances are the iPod's memory will be doubled considering new 64GB chips are being made and it may also have camera. That would make the iPad seem a bit overpriced.
  • Reply 46 of 257
    The IPSW file downloaded quickly enough for me, but the part of the update process where it backs up the phone is going very very slow. Is there any way to skip this step and move on with the update? I already have my phone backed up from when I plugged it in and haven't made any changes on it.
  • Reply 47 of 257
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Does the latest version of Skype app work with iOS 4?
  • Reply 48 of 257
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kulak18 View Post

I believe the word is out, it has taken me 26 minutes to download. Oh well, let's hope this is all worth it.

My download was "snappier" - took 7 minutes.

Finishing the install/sync now and I'll see if the iPhone is snappier also.
  • Reply 49 of 257
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    The big problem I've seen with iOS 4 on my 2nd Gen touch is it's sucking up my battery life when I'm not using it. When it ran 3.1.3 I could leave it locked all weekend and the battery would be down only a little bit on Monday morning. Now leaving it locked for a just a few hours knocks the battery down 25%.

I'm seriously unimpressed with that "feature" of the new OS.
  • Reply 50 of 257
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    no ibooks...all of 4 major features in 4.0 and they can't have this one ready before launch? unreal
  • Reply 51 of 257
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

no ibooks...all of 4 major features in 4.0 and they can't have this one ready before launch? unreal

I know, I want it now!
  • Reply 52 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

From what I've heard Apple seemed really surprised by iPad sales. It could be that they decided to cut cost and watched how sales went.

I don't think they held it back to not have it compete with laptop sales. They're many other factors which necessitate the need for a desktop.

I surprised by the lack of foresight by Apple to not put in 512MB RAM. It is only two months old and it will be lacking features the new iPhone has.

Yeah, it does seem like a surprise to even them and they did seem hell bent on making $500 the starting point 9for good reason).

Only being two months old and lacking features isn't anything new. The iPod Touch has been doing this since its debut. I recall getting the iPhone 3G and then buying Apple's very nice in-ear phones with the controls on the wire. I think it was the volume controls and more complex iPod functions working in all the new iPods but I had to wait nearly a year for the 3GS for the other controls to work.
  • Reply 53 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Is iBooks considered an iOS 4.0 feature, or simply an app that requires iOS 4.0. It should be completely separate, just like with iBooks for the iPad.
  • Reply 54 of 257
    erybovicerybovic Posts: 37member
    For those out there how does a 3G respond? Is there much of a lag? Is it sluggish?
  • Reply 55 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The big problem I've seen with iOS 4 on my 2nd Gen touch is it's sucking up my battery life when I'm not using it. When it ran 3.1.3 I could leave it locked all weekend and the battery would be down only a little bit on Monday morning. Now leaving it locked for a just a few hours knocks the battery down 25%.

I'm seriously unimpressed with that "feature" of the new OS.

I've been running it jailbroken on a a 2G touch but have only seen it sucking battery life when multitasking. Then again I don't use my touch that much.
  • Reply 56 of 257
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcZero View Post

I'm a developer and I've had this GM seed on my 2nd gen Touch for a while. I have never seen or have been prompted for the iBooks application. I thought it would be available when 4.0 was released to the public, but the GM is what is released to the public it seems. iTunes tells me to download iBooks for the iPod in the store, but I can't find it.

Does anyone else have iBooks on their devices yet?

You have to download it from the App Store. I have not run the update yet, so I don't know if it's showing yet in the store.
  • Reply 57 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

For those out there how does a 3G respond? Is there much of a lag? Is it sluggish?

It's alright. I find it faster than 3.x. In fact the OS is at its fastest since 1.x.
  • Reply 58 of 257
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

I've had it running since they released it to the developers. It seems as fast as the previous OS to me. The only thing to note is that some apps will not currently work in iOS 4 until they receive an update. This seems limited to games as far as I've noticed but could affect other apps as well. Given that, if there's a game or app you can't live without it might be best to check and see if the developer has updated it or if it is known to work with iOS 4 already.
  • Reply 59 of 257
    kulak18kulak18 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

The IPSW file downloaded quickly enough for me, but the part of the update process where it backs up the phone is going very very slow. Is there any way to skip this step and move on with the update? I already have my phone backed up from when I plugged it in and haven't made any changes on it.

Same on my end, backing up the phone is taking an extremely long time.
  • Reply 60 of 257
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kulak18 View Post

Same on my end, backing up the phone is taking an extremely long time.

Yeah, it took around 30 minutes for mine to backup, and another 15 to install and restore. I did stop and restart my backup after 15 minutes because I thought is was stuck. The 30 minutes is the second backup.