Apple eyeing billion-dollar acquisitions, push into TV market - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    numba1numba1 Posts: 23member
    Doesn't Steve own the majority amount of stock in a company that owns a major network?
  • Reply 22 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The older Apple TV boxes are Intel-based. I doubt if Apple would bother building all the libraries, etc. for an essentially dead x86 Apple TV platform. They would simply move on.

It's just not worth it. The TV HW hasn't changed since it's introduction and they have had over 3 years of updates. I think it's a dead duck.

The A4 processor plus Imagination SGX GPU with VXD decoder could be put into a device as small as an iPod Nano in an iPod Dock, and could easily push Main/High-Profile H.264 1080p (like what's found in Blu-ray) while offering 802.11n streaming.

Since there would be no power constraints and the prevailing rumour is it would lose the HDD for NAND for mostly streaming, this is more than doable at a much lower cost than the current TV with the antiquated Intel Pentium M processor.
  • Reply 23 of 116
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by numba1 View Post

Doesn't Steve own the majority amount of stock in a company that owns a major network?

Steve is the largest individual shareholder of Disney, but he does not own a controlling/majority interest.

Steve is nowhere near 50.1% of DIS.
  • Reply 24 of 116
    nslyaxnslyax Posts: 5member
    Looking at getting into TV, maybe the years old TiVo rumors will be returning? $1 billion should be pretty close, considering a current market cap of $867 million.
  • Reply 25 of 116
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

He is the largest shareholder in Disney, but I don't think he owns a majority.
  • Reply 26 of 116
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

People don't want to pay for yet another set top box.

If Apple does create a new AppleTV box - the price to consumers will be $0.00 - They'll pay for the hardware through service subscriptions.

If the box is iPhone small, with an A4 and some flash memory - a better direction for Apple is encourage TV makers to create TVs with the hardware built-in. Or perhaps with a slot to accommodate the device. No additional remotes. No wires.

The AppleTV would just be another channel on the TV with downloadable content. apps (like AirVideo), YouTube.

C.

the new mac mini is a great ATV

with the new HD AUDIO port you can access 500 g of tv shows and movies video podcast home movies and music of course FROM YOIUR ITUNES ACCOUNT
  • Reply 27 of 116
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Apple will have to come up with something cool to justify their margins. but i can see some people paying twice the price as a regular TV just because it was made by Apple

It really bugs me when people say this as if it has any validity.

I don't know a single person who would pay more for something just because it was made by Apple (or, more accurately, has an Apple logo).

I know a lot of Apple fans - and they willingly pay more for quality, ease of use, ecosystem, etc. They have come to equate 'ease of use' with Apple and have come to expect quality from Apple products. They're paying more (if, indeed, they ARE paying more, which isn't always the case) for the quality and ease of use.

The problem with the industry is that everyone else is chasing cheap, 'me too' products rather than creating their own ecosystem that works well together.

In any event, I wish this "Apple fanbois will buy anything with an Apple logo" crap would disappear since it couldn't be further from the truth. When Apple makes a product with no compelling advantage, it doesn't sell well - Apple Cube, Apple TV, etc.
  • Reply 28 of 116
    Quote:

steve and his investors got 6 bn a few yrs ago for PIXAR

walt disney bought pixar for 6 bn

pixar is a fine company

• Reply 29 of 116
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's just not worth it. The TV HW hasn't changed since it's introduction and they have had over 3 years of updates. I think it's a dead duck.

The A4 processor plus Imagination SGX GPU with VXD decoder could be put into a device as small as an iPod Nano in an iPod Dock, and could easily push Main/High-Profile H.264 1080p (like what's found in Blu-ray) while offering 802.11n streaming.

Since there would be no power constraints and the prevailing rumour is it would lose the HDD for NAND for mostly streaming, this is more than doable at a much lower cost than the current TV with the antiquated Intel Pentium M processor.

Exactly, I think an ARM-based Apple TV could arrive at a BOM cost of about $50-75. That would let Apple price the device under the magic $200 point.

It would probably retain a similar form factor, mostly because of the cable connectors (component video, HDMI, audio, Ethernet). The NAND flash memory would probably be the priciest part (for caching/storage buffer) followed by the A4-based SoC.
  • Reply 30 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I sold my Apple TV with hopes that Apple comes out with a new device this fall.

If they do, the value of the original Apple TV will go in the tank.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

How do you know that the old Apple TV boxes won't be able to run the new ATV OS? It's very possible this will be likely. And it would be in Apple's interest to get all those ATV boxes, old and new, running the same OS and being able to access the same content.

iOS is multiplatform and highly scalable. There is nothing in the iOS that only must require an ARM processor to run, apart from kernel and driver changes. You can already run iOS if you have the iPhone Simulator on your Mac. (which isn't an emulator btw)

I'm not surprised if Apple releases iOS for x86 ATVs and upcoming ARM based ATVs based on their recent patent filings being able to run iPhone apps.

Having said that, another reason why Apple is telling developers to use their newest LLVM compiler technology over GCC is to "Future proof" their iOS apps in upcoming devices.

EDIT: 1. With the recent Mac Mini update, what's Apple's intention of including an HDMI port? Who are the audience they are targeting? Do you think budget concerned consumers want that overly priced device? Or Media center freaks who want an all-in-one/computer device?

2. Changing iPhone OS to iOS because of... current and upcoming devices?

3. And finally Jobs at D8: "The television industry fundamentally has a subsidized business model that gives everyone a set-top box, and that pretty much undermines innovation in the sector. The only way this is going to change is if you start from scratch, tear up the box, redesign and get it to the consumer in a way that they want to buy it. But right now, there's no way to do that ... . The TV is going to lose until there's a viable go-to-market strategy. That's the fundamental problem with the industry. It's not a problem with the technology, it's a problem with the go-to-market strategy ... . I'm sure smarter people than us will figure this out, but that's why we say Apple TV is a hobby."
  • Reply 31 of 116
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Buy up some content company and have them featured on their devices (besides Disney). Maybe ABC or NBC Sure would give Comcast the creepers. And make the videos of that content non-DRMed. That way, plenty of people will buy cheap content from iTunes and buy Apple TV set
  • Reply 32 of 116
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Having said that, another reason why Apple is telling developers to use their newest LLVM compiler technology over GCC is to "Future proof" their iOS apps in upcoming devices.

Apple's current recommendation for production code is GCC-LLVM, which uses the GCC front-end parser with the LLVM back-end codegen. Apple is moving away from GCC because LLVM is a much better technology stack and because GCC moved to GPLv3 after 4.2 which carries too much baggage for Apple. The generated code is exactly compatible and carries no advantages in terms of portability to other hardware. In fact, GCC has many more hardware targets than LLVM at this time.
  • Reply 33 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It really bugs me when people say this as if it has any validity.

I don't know a single person who would pay more for something just because it was made by Apple (or, more accurately, has an Apple logo).

it doesn't sell well - Apple Cube, Apple TV, etc.

THE CUBE BECAME THE MINI

and a great movie

many apple fans get gifts of items they own already and keep them un boxed for long time
  • Reply 34 of 116
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

rant s over

i am home for the next month recovering from surgery

lucky you guys have my inane wisdom 24/7

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery, brucep!
  • Reply 35 of 116
    foobarfoobar Posts: 108member
    Yeah, $99 is not going to happen!

Check out these items from the iPhone 4 component prices:

A4 processor: 10.75

256MB RAM: 6.50

16GB Flash: 27.00

Power Management: 3.93

WiFi/Bluetooth: 7.80

PCBs, Acoustics, Connectors, etc.: 14.40

Accessories, Literature, Box Contents: 5.50

That's $75.88 right there. It would likely include more stuff I don't know about, but maybe lower prices due to less miniaturizing.

And that doesn't include manufacturing, shipping and Apple's comfortable margins.
  • Reply 36 of 116
    mickenomickeno Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nslyax View Post

Looking at getting into TV, maybe the years old TiVo rumors will be returning? $1 billion should be pretty close, considering a current market cap of $867 million.

As your guess seems most appropriate, I'd rather suggest a move towards german-american Elgato www.elgato.com/, whose EyeTV hardware/software for both Mac and PC (and iPhone/iPad) are among the most innovative and as I see it goes even more beyond "TV" as we know it than TiVo.
  • Reply 37 of 116
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:

Good observation. And, note that he keeps the two (largely) apart.

Buying a network -- "looking for synergies from content + distribution" -- is a fool's errand.

PS: As was clarified, SJ is the largest, not majority owner.
  • Reply 38 of 116
    I think it makes perfect logic for Apple to have a 'base' media hub in the home that 'anchors' all its mobile products and allows interface/interaction with home uses.

For example, think about Facetime on the iphone4 or future ipad. Imagine the whole family...sister, brother, father, mother being able to sit in front of the tv and have a video chat conversation with the 'big brother' that's off at school. Imagine it being as easy as point and click with Facetime and the son holding up his camera to show his dorm room or introduce his new girlfriend to the family as the family sits watching and the son being able to see the expressions of his family back home and vice versa.

The tv would also serve as a central viewing platform for pictures and videos taken with the iphone and ipad and also a media hub where movies and tv shows on the mobile devices could be stored and watched on a larger screen. The ability to switch between internet surfing and a tv program and to also take phone calls on the same screen as well as send and receive files and information all in real time.

In addition, there will obviously be some kind of 'subscription plan' for movies and entertainment from the major studios and networks.

Some of this is already in Apple TV and some of it is not. I would think they will discontinue Apple TV as we know it and 'upsell' current users to a new Apple 'iHome hub' that will be the center of the Apple universe and integrate mobile devices with home entertainment systems.
  • Reply 39 of 116
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

$1 billion? A short pile of chips in today's marketplace.

I thought the same thing. $1B won't get you an Adobe ($14B), Intuit ($11B), Direct TV ($31B), etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Apple can afford to bet a lot more if they indeed have another game-changer up their sleeve.

Apple tends to buy for technology rather than for hard infrastructure, brand or market share. I would be surprised to see them grow their own business for all these years just to dilute its stock price and burn up cash buying something like a TV network.

I mean, it would be a fun story to watch; I just don't see it happening.
  • Reply 40 of 116
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

the new mac mini is a great ATV

with the new HD AUDIO port you can access 500 g of tv shows and movies video podcast home movies and music of course FROM YOIUR ITUNES ACCOUNT

How much does the Mac Mini cost? Not a mass market device.

An A4 based solution could be built the same size as an iPod Mini. And with a manufacturing cost of $125.

So cheap that the build cost could be subsidized by a $30 per month subscription.

The best place to put it is inside a TV.

C.