iPhone 4 FaceTime doesn't need a mobile signal to work

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    I'm actually not aware about Tandberg and Cisco together, hope not cause Tandberg was supporting open standards like Polycom (they are compatible between themselves) but Cisco uses proprietary everything.

The cool thing about all this is that companies that already have MCUs (Multi conference Units) could implement the iPhone on their structure. I think we just need to give some time for all this to be more well known, and surely we will see lots of positive evolutions (remember the augmented reality from Bing maps showed in TED talks?)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tantrum View Post

Isn't Tandberg now a part of Cisco? Don't count on them embracing FaceTime unless it doesn't threaten their telepresence business. I expect PolyCom or HP, companies that are more embracing of open standards to work with this. I also won't be surprised if the next version of the Pre from HP/Palm to have full FaceTime compatibility.

• Reply 62 of 71
    nothlitnothlit Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

So this means I need to sit next to someone talking on their phone for hours every time I take a Wifi equipped airplane... Those people who watch DVDs on their laptops with the speakers on are bad enough.

Probably not. The latency of a wi-fi connection on an airplane would most likely make VoIP calls (and FaceTime) impractical.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lancellot View Post

About the Tandberg, yes, I'm also hoping either them or Polycom come out with a good solution, but since they are hardware sellers, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Well, they did make the ConferenceMe desktop client, which is software (either that, or they got another company to make it for them as ghost coders).

I can't really see Tandberg adopting FaceTime any time soon, unless it really seriously takes off. I'm just talking about a separate app that integrates with Tandberg's systems in a similar way to ConferenceMe.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are solutions to every problem...
    Some more aggressive than others...

And some even more aggressive than that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazooka
  • Reply 65 of 71
    tardistardis Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Tut Tut!!

The smaller image is the "calling party", i.e. Daniel Eran Dilger. I assume the larger image is the "called party", and I assume from the number that it's Apple's call line 4 people who have a new iPhone version 4 but don't know who 2 call, so it must be an Apple staffer. Looks like Apple has been so overwhelmed by demand 4 the iPhone it has had 2 recruit on Venus ......
  • Reply 66 of 71
    Grow up.

Better to share intelligent opinion than useless ones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

The smaller image is the "calling party", i.e. Daniel Eran Dilger. I assume the larger image is the "called party", and I assume from the number that it's Apple's call line 4 people who have a new iPhone version 4 but don't know who 2 call, so it must be an Apple staffer. Looks like Apple has been so overwhelmed by demand 4 the iPhone it has had 2 recruit on Venus ......

• Reply 67 of 71
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    New to this. Just wondering if all the stuff Apple put together to make FaceTime work as good as they did. Is it something only useable with the new phone. Can Apple, through the air make it possible for older iPhones & Touch use it also.

If so. Could Apple just not make an attachment for a front and rear facing camera for them? That would also work for the iPad.

A lot of others would want to take advantage of FaceTime.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gavers View Post

Since when does Airplane Mode allow WiFi? Another bang-up reporting job by Daniel Eran Dilger!

You can have WiFi on while in Airplane mode. This has always been a feature of every iPhone. Just go back in to your settings and turn it on.

I'd really like for them to allow face time with iChat. That would be seriously cool. And now with all your iPhone hating friends who say that the Droid does video chat over wi-fi you can mention that the video doesn't look half as good because they're using a crappy compression technology.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    I did a little experimenting today with the i4. I cut up a series of old AT&T Sim Cards and a few from other carries.

What I learned was this:

1. If there is no SIM in the phone FaceTime will not work.

2. Works in Airplane Mode

3. Works with ANY AT&T SIM no matter if ACTIVATED or not.

4. Will not work with any other SIM in the phone. Tried with T-Mobile and Aventel(Colombia).

5. No matter what AT&T Sim you have in your phone even if it is a friends SIM, FaceTime will connect to your phone even if the person initiates a direct FaceTime call and not a handover from the Carries Signal.

I have not been able to test what happens if I use a friends sim to make a mobile call and then switch over to a FaceTime call....that is my next test...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lancellot View Post

Ok guys,

I will try to answer a bit about the technical "whys" on the video connection.

For FaceTime work the way it works there is of course the need of a Gatekeeper. What is a Gatekeeper? In essence is a server that holds registration of devices according to parameters that the device sends or the gatekeeper requests. With those parameters is the Gatekeeper that will decide if the call can go ahead and be established or not.

What parameters could that be? Those would be any unique information about a device (already trying to avoid cloning) like the Device ID, serial number, phone number and so on. A parameter would be some sort of Alias, the way you have a screen name on an IM program.

Having said about Alias and Gatekeeper, Apple could decide to call the Alias for number "A", the alias for serial "B" and the alias for device ID "C".

When a device tries to make a Facetime call, it will as the gatekeeper if it knows that Alias that it is trying to reach, if the gatekeeper has it in it's database, the gatekeeper will then translate the Alias you're trying to reach into, for example, an IP address (what in this case is likely a IPv6) and you will get connected.

It is for sure possible to have non-iPhones and non-Phone devices able to communicate using Facetime. They will use one of the other Aliases that not the phone number. The Alias is just like a screen name that the real purpose is to be then translated into a real internet address.

I helped with this article, I have no FaceTime documentation yet but this is the way that makes more sense so far.

F.

• Reply 70 of 71
    Great!! Thanks for the test!

I have a SIM-free iPhone and will do the same testing. So What we can learn so far is that the gatekeeper could be working with a "key" that would be having a valid SIM installed and the Alias is most likely the device unique ID. What means also that can be more easily implemented in other devices using the same gatekeeper I would say.

That's what I'm talking about, collaborative work! Maybe we should make a "Wave" of FaceTime related discussion. What you think?

Sent me a pvt at felipesongs at gmail and we can do that if anyone is interested. But PLEASE remember, the idea is intelligent collaborative work!!

F.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ender330 View Post

I did a little experimenting today with the i4. I cut up a series of old AT&T Sim Cards and a few from other carries.

What I learned was this:

1. If there is no SIM in the phone FaceTime will not work.

2. Works in Airplane Mode

3. Works with ANY AT&T SIM no matter if ACTIVATED or not.

4. Will not work with any other SIM in the phone. Tried with T-Mobile and Aventel(Colombia).

5. No matter what AT&T Sim you have in your phone even if it is a friends SIM, FaceTime will connect to your phone even if the person initiates a direct FaceTime call and not a handover from the Carries Signal.

I have not been able to test what happens if I use a friends sim to make a mobile call and then switch over to a FaceTime call....that is my next test...

• Reply 71 of 71

As you know that the mobile phone signal jammer can cut off the signals of the mobile phones and soon make it impossible to make phone calls or send messages. In this way when you need the peaceful condition and want to stay in it, you can just use the best mobile phone jammer to help you achieve your goal. And now as the technology develops with high speed the advanced 4G jammer has come into the market and are well welcomed by the group of people who need the videoblocks product.