Comments

• Reply 61 of 145
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Including APPLEINSIDER!

\
  • Reply 62 of 145
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Asked on the record whether Steve Jobs was the author of any of these statements, a top Apple spokesman emphatically denied it.

"on the record" and "off the record" have legal status. If something is "on the record" it is attributed to a real person and is sanctioned by the company. If something is "off the record" then it can not be attributed and is not sanctioned by the company.

From the above quote from the Fortune article the author states that "Asked on the record ... a top Apple spokesman emphatically denied it." If it was asked "on the record" what is the top Apple spokesman's name? What is the top Apple spokesman's position and title. Where is the official press release to all news organizations?

At the very least have some common sense, nothing about what Fortune has said is "on the record". It is all hearsay from an unattributed source that is supposedly a top Apple spokesman. Why would this top Apple spokesman make these anonymous statements and on top of that single source this "emphatic denial"?

If Apple really said this it would be released as a general press release made by a real Apple employee that has a name, a title and a means to be reached at the company.

Someone is playing head games and it looks like it is CNN/Money - Fortune - Apple 2.0 that is doing it.

edit: hmm. I emailed the author and his email address is [email protected]. So at the very best he is a free lancer for CNN Money without his own cnn.com email address, and at the worst he is a paid shill for Apple.

2nd edit: I withdraw my comments. Engadget claims they have independently contacted Apple to confirm the denial.
  • Reply 63 of 145
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    The spokesperson said it "on the record" without being named? That's not on the record - it's off the record.

I call BS.

You guys want to believe it, go ahead. I don't. And if I'm wrong I will post my apologies to all on this forum.

Good to see DED is propagating the spin as usual though.

Oops... Kresh beat me to it.
  • Reply 64 of 145
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Or, the antenna can be insulated from the factory in a way that isn't super ghetto.

Phone Racist.
  • Reply 65 of 145
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    This whole situation is crazy. OK so we know the BGR stuff is fake. We don't know for sure whether the initial "just avoid holding it that way" is true or not. "there is no reception issues" is possibly fake. Then again, who knows.

What IS clear to me is that these direct emails from Steve have now finally proved to be the inappropriate way to do things. It was fun and cool for a while, but Apple, however successful they are, must realize the risks they are taking if they are to allow this to continue.

I'm sure everyone here must had some work experience where the higher-ups have intervened directly in certain matters and in those cases middle management has to reconcile the wishes of the CEO with their daily tasks and established procedures.
  • Reply 66 of 145
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    It is also entirely possible Steve said some things to some people via email, published or not, and now PR is trying to minimize the damage. Which, as I mentioned above, adds to the risks of company communication.

Now we have no idea what Apple intends to do about the situation other than the official, formal support statements of "any phone held in a certain way etc etc".

Which brings us all back to square one after this whole week of madness.
  • Reply 67 of 145
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What a pathetic display of collective bullshit by the tech media. (At least, AI was a bit cautious and tentative).

Not surprising, though.

And AppleInsider ranks up there too. They dish out quite a bit of BS stories, just spreading rumors from bloggers that claim to be journalists...like always referencing Gizmodo, etc.
  • Reply 68 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

And AppleInsider ranks up there too. They dish out quite a bit of BS stories, just spreading rumors from bloggers that claim to be journalists...like always referencing Gizmodo, etc.

I'm siding with anantksundaram here. AI clearly uses sensationalist titles and slanted reporting heavily in favour of Apple as a general rule, even when the content is well researched and in-depth, but I don't recall them simply taking unfounded information and stating as fact without sufficient caveats.
  • Reply 69 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm siding with anantksundaram here. AI clearly uses sensationalist titles and slanted reporting heavily in favour of Apple as a general rule, even when the content is well researched and in-depth, but I don't recall them simply taking unfounded information and stating as fact without sufficient caveats.

Then you haven't been paying attention.

However, in this instance, DED is cowering behind Fortune's Apple suck-up so he can repeat the rubbish ad infinitum and claim he was just "quoting Fortune". However, the headline might get him into some bother as it inadequately qualifies the content.

I'd expect AI to subtly modify that in the near future.
  • Reply 70 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Then you haven't been paying attention.

I haven't been paying attention, says the guy who claimed Dilger invented the rumour of iOS 4.0.1 coming this past Monday?
    You're just sore that I called you out for your lack of comprehension and critical thinking. I guess you can pointlessly angry at AI, Dilger and me, now.
  • Reply 71 of 145
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1stkorean View Post

Was this so called apple spokesperson with jobs when this was supposed to have happened.

Every comment is something jobs would say, and of course the apple spin machine is going to once again make this the publics fault.

I repeat, it is time for jobs to go, he is hurting apple in the worst way.

you are the biggest idiot since g3pro started posting on here. like a tool such as your self knows what steve jobs would write. i dont know why dead beats like you even post here, there are loads of forums you can bash apple on elsewhere
  • Reply 72 of 145
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    I doubly withdraw my earlier comments about the veracity of the denial. The author of the Fortune article has responded and the top Apple spokesman is Steve Dowling ([email protected] (408) 974-1896).
  • Reply 73 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I doubly withdraw my earlier comments about the veracity of the denial. The author of the Fortune article has responded and the top Apple spokesman is Steve Dowling ([email protected] (408) 974-1896).

Verified: That there was a denial by an actual person cannot be reasonably dismissed.

Now, whether that denial is any more accurate than anything else Apple or bloggers or anyone else says has yet to be determined.

When Apple files suit against BGR we'll see how confident they are. And if they don't....
  • Reply 74 of 145
    macologistmacologist Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I wish the spokesperson had said whether or not the "you are holding it wrong" email

was legitimate.

Also, one of the bogus Jobs quotes was something to the effect that "we are working on it".

That is now out the window.

Yep, it would be nice to know if that ""you are holding it wrong" email

was FAKE.... Cause that particular statement seems to be the main basis for most complaints...

Someone I know said that he has absolutely NO PROBLEM, and lot's of people are in that NO PROBLEM camp... So, who knows, maybe there was a bad batch? Inconclusive evidence! We'll find out eventually when Apple is ready to make an official statement!

Also, the LOCATION -STRENGTH of signal is a FACTOR..., cause some people couldn't replicate the problem, David Pogue of NY Times couldn't make it happen on his... I saw Walt Mossberg on Charlie Rose http://www.charlierose.com 6/25/10. Those guys could have mentioned this antenna issue, but they didn't! I think they tried to be responsible and wait till there is more clarity about this issue! Other media gets hysterical first, then they go to the next topic to make noise, and thus sell more ads!

Too many variables in this whole AntennaGate... Obviously, early "Christmas" for Apple Bashers!!!

This won't go on forever! It WILL be Fixed!!! Till then it's party time for Apple Bashers!!!

There could be some sabotage involved there too -- remember problems at the plants in China? Anything is possible!
  • Reply 75 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I haven't been paying attention, says the guy who claimed Dilger invented the rumour of iOS 4.0.1 coming this past Monday?
    You're just sore that I called you out for your lack of comprehension and critical thinking. I guess you can pointlessly angry at AI, Dilger and me, now.

See my response to your "calling out" in that thread.

I think you're projecting "anger" solipsism. I'm not sure what "I guess you can pointlessly angry" means but I doubt very much that it gives you any grounds to criticize my comprehension and critical thinking. But in your mind, perhaps it does.

For the record, I'm not angry at AI at all. Hits count for much in cyberspace and I'm certain that DED's pieces bring in many of those. And AI allows me to be here so I'm grateful for the opportunity to poke fun, point the finger and correct what bollocks I think is written. Whatever the rabidly Apple-centric may feel about it. Thanks AppleInsider.

Dilger is a complete Apple apologist and disingenuous twat, so deal with it.

But I can honestly say I'm not angry at you. I think you have a deep belief that Apple is above reproach and somehow transcends its reality as just a very profitable mega corporation which makes gadgets you and millions of others believe to be a cut above. I believe that's a bit like worshipping the sun or believing that GM is somehow holier than Ford. And make no mistake, there are millions out there that believe those things.

But I've been an Apple user for more than two decades so I've been there, done that, spent the bucks and got the T shirt.

And I think that those who profess to "love" Apple are deluded. Are you such a person? And more to the point, is there any reason why you'd care what I think of your religion?

I will continue to support Apple for as long as they give me what I want, not just what they want me to have. And the iP4 crosses the line as it currently stands.

Is that clear enough solipsism?
  • Reply 76 of 145
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I guess Boy Genius isn't such a genius after all. You would think a tech site would know that an email (including the headers) is just a text file that anyone can type up and send to an SMTP server. Except that they're not really tech heads just journalists, a profession with an undeserved reputation for being intelligent.
  • Reply 77 of 145
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Um, Chopper, Sol doesn't believe that you even exist, so how could he be angry with you?

And of course AI is going to be biased in favor of Apple. It's an APPLE rumor and discussion website!
  • Reply 78 of 145
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I guess Boy Genius isn't such a genius after all. You would think a tech site would know that an email (including the headers) is just a text file that anyone can type up and send to an SMTP server. Except that they're not really tech heads just journalists, a profession with an undeserved reputation for being intelligent.

I beg to differ. Most of the crew at BGR aren't real journalists either. They got their jobs because their buddies hooked them up. Most of these bloggers haven't the education, experience, or knowledge to be commenting about half of what they write...

...maybe I'm just bitter because I can't get in with Engadget.
  • Reply 79 of 145
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1stkorean View Post

Was this so called apple spokesperson with jobs when this was supposed to have happened.

Every comment is something jobs would say, and of course the apple spin machine is going to once again make this the publics fault.

I repeat, it is time for jobs to go, he is hurting apple in the worst way.

You're not serious, are you?

Do you work for Samsung?
  • Reply 80 of 145
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

See my response to your "calling out" in that thread.

I think you're projecting "anger" solipsism. I'm not sure what "I guess you can pointlessly angry" means but I doubt very much that it gives you any grounds to criticize my comprehension and critical thinking. But in your mind, perhaps it does.

For the record, I'm not angry at AI at all. Hits count for much in cyberspace and I'm certain that DED's pieces bring in many of those. And AI allows me to be here so I'm grateful for the opportunity to poke fun, point the finger and correct what bollocks I think is written. Whatever the rabidly Apple-centric may feel about it. Thanks AppleInsider.

Dilger is a complete Apple apologist and disingenuous twat, so deal with it.

But I can honestly say I'm not angry at you. I think you have a deep belief that Apple is above reproach and somehow transcends its reality as just a very profitable mega corporation which makes gadgets you and millions of others believe to be a cut above. I believe that's a bit like worshipping the sun or believing that GM is somehow holier than Ford. And make no mistake, there are millions out there that believe those things.

But I've been an Apple user for more than two decades so I've been there, done that, spent the bucks and got the T shirt.

And I think that those who profess to "love" Apple are deluded. Are you such a person? And more to the point, is there any reason why you'd care what I think of your religion?

I will continue to support Apple for as long as they give me what I want, not just what they want me to have. And the iP4 crosses the line as it currently stands.

Is that clear enough solipsism?

So in maybe a sentence, why does it cross the line?