in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I mean USB 3.0??? Don't see it on any new config

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,325moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coloredtoad View Post

I mean USB 3.0??? Don't see it on any new config

Hmmm, maybe they decided it's a bag of hurt too.

USB3 has more use on the laptops to replace ethernet and firewire so they can get the height down but it's going to be coming in eventually so it would have made sense to include it.

Jobs said at the iPhone 4 screwup/apology press conference about trusting them to do the right thing as they've been in the business for 37 years. Well, we'd expect that after that length of time they'd know not to put an antenna no-touch zone right where everyone touches a phone and similarly expect that the successor to the most popular port standard would go on their flagship products at the right time i.e now.

I think I know what they're doing though. Whatever we ask for, they don't give us. Next time, I'm just going to expect a donkey on a Segway with an Apple logo on the side. Then what they'll actually give us is a smaller 6-core Mac Pro with USB 3, FW3200, a good Radeon card, maybe even Blu-Ray all for under $2k. It's ok though because I wasn't expecting it, I was expecting the donkey and I'll act all surprised just so they're happy.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Intel has not put USB3 on their chipsets yet, and don't expect to for a while. The rumor that things were going to get USB3 was just silly.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karl Kuehn View Post

Intel has not put USB3 on their chipsets yet, and don't expect to for a while. The rumor that things were going to get USB3 was just silly.

Before anybody gets excoted I know all about the stand alone USB 3 chips that hook up to PCI Express or whatever. They all have issues that keep them from going into an Apple product. At least until very recently they did.

Besides i have to repeat what i noted earlier USB3 isnt all it is cracked up to be. It is truely a short term fix in light of other developments. Apple will implement when the time is right, but that isnt today.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,325moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karl Kuehn View Post

It seems the HP Envy with USB 3 uses an Asus motherboard. AMD looks to have USB 3 with Fusion so that's another advantage to switching. This is a bit suspicious though. Intel should have been one of the first to implement the standard but they seem to want to ship Light Peak before USB 3:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/04/15...place-usb-3-0/

They have said both would co-exist but there's no reason to delay USB 3 so long - at least not until 2012 as rumored when others are implementing it now. Intel ship a huge amount of boards. If they hold back on USB3 and push a rival standard, it'll be another Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD thing. Camcorder manufacturers won't know which to use and we'll probably end up stuck with USB 2.