Best Buy rumored to give out free iPhone 4 antenna covers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    It definitely depends on which store you go to. Best Buy hires a lot of teenagers. Unfortunately for me I never have had a good experience with Best Buy in the Atlanta area, Northern California area, or southern Washington State areas.

Case in point: Purchased an external hard drive online from Best Buy for pick up at store. That went fine. Picked it up that day. Walked into the store, stood in the customer service line for five minutes. I was the only one standing there, one guy was at the counter with the cashier. When the cashier finished and the customer walked away I continued to wait while she talked to a lady sitting at a computer. She asked if she could take over. The lady at the computer looked at her and said, "no, I am busy." So the cashier walks back to the register and calls me over, obviously unhappy. I hand her the printed receipt just as she is about the ring up my order (which was sitting right behind her on the rollers) a "friend" of hers walks up (this friend was not an employee). Right in front of me they start BSing about high school crap and I am standing right there. That pissed me off so much I made it a point to speak with her superior. The training at Best Buy must be horrible.

As long as these are free I will go get one. The front and back Zagg shield I will not even consider, when they surely will try and up sell it to me. They are sticky and I can't stand the orange peel effect.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

I've gone to Best Buy for years. Yes, I would describe them as friendly, in fact very friendly.

They're friendly if/when available. But, often they are not. More important, even when they are available and/or friendly, they are barely knowledgeable.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

This whole AntennaGate thing is turning out to be pretty sweet for customers.

Buy your iPhone 4 from Apple, and get a free Case.

Walk into Best Buy, and get the free invisible skins.

Nice.

Yup, apple has made having issues with your device a sign of coolness and made retailers rush to give out free stuff and even provide an opportunity for people to come up and sell their own fixes (the iPhone band-aid anyone?)

The only other thing that comes to mind is Xbox actually. It was part of the XBox experience to get to experience the red ring of death, stuff your box in with towels and repeat every few weeks until MS gave you a brand new box that sapped less power and was slightly quieter. Good deal.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

This appears to be a much more elegant option, if not a complete solution to the antenna issue, though I doubt that it'll do much to thwart the onslaught of resulting backlash from competitors (particularly ones that Apple's been dubiously targeting).

e.g. [the link you provided to a Droid phone website]

TryHarder.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

TryHarder.

That's exactly what they appear to be doing... 'tying harder' to offer a more streamlined/less obtrusive to solution to the one officially offered by Apple.

Good for them, and the customers who purchased their iPhone4s through them.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

Well, the one in Jantzen Beach is really for Washington residents who are coming across the border to dodge sales tax (done it many times!)

Yeah, I get that. And my friends and family actually wonder why I don't do my Christmas shopping the the Bay Area? What I save in sales tax pays for at least one nice dinner out for me while I'm there!

But, actually, I was referring to:

1. Washington Square, Beaverton OR

2. Tualatin, OR

3. Hillsboro, OR

All of them are within 10 miles of the old store on Cedar Hills Blvd in Beaverton. I laugh that they call the new Beaverton store "Washington Square", when it is clearly NOT part of Washington Square Mall, unless truth in advertising no longer matters. Which, of course, it doesn't.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Nice.

The free skins (which they are not) do what? Cover up the issue. That's hardly something you think is sweet for customers. Free cases is cool though, I guess. I think the main issue here is the folks who prefer not to use cases, but not they'll have to if they don't live in John Gruber or Steve Jobs' house.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ptfern View Post

Check out this video from Invisible Shield showing their fix.

http://www.zagg.com/iphone-4-antenna-fix.php

Not a design issue, guys? Haha.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

Nice.

Walk into my office, bitch about the iPhone 4 antenna.

Get a free nose job after I punch your lights out.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I would describe their demeanor as friendly; they're totally full of shit, but still friendly.

• Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

This appears to be a much more elegant option, if not a complete solution to the antenna issue, though I doubt that it'll do much to thwart the onslaught of resulting backlash from competitors (particularly ones that Apple's been dubiously targeting).

e.g. http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content...droid-x-ad.jpg

Motorola should issue a press release stating that their phones are not subject to the laws of physics.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    apple///apple/// Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They're friendly if/when available. But, often they are not. More important, even when they are available and/or friendly, they are barely knowledgeable.

Best Buy is definitely a mixed bag when it comes to customer service. I have talked with some excellent employees who were very friendly and very geek friendly and they had no problem answering questions about screen resolution and wifi, things I think most ordinary customers don't get into. However I had one pretty bad experience buying an x-box some years ago. He kept suggesting games for the system and telling me why he likes to play them but then when I decided on something he hadn't played he kept on telling my how great the games he plays are and why...It was very obnoxious let me tell you.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Motorola should issue a press release stating that their phones are not subject to the laws of physics.

No need, given that they (Motorola) properly incased the antenna(s), as opposed to deliberately incorporating a system that made the device far more susceptible to said 'law of physics'.

Therein Lies The Difference -
  • Reply 34 of 41
    ptfernptfern Posts: 17member
    UPDATE:

Well, just got back from another Best Buy that installed this new "fix". They said I was the first one to come in and install it. They told me that they just received the kits in this morning. After about 30 min of trying too line up the strips too get it just right we finally got it. Ok are you ready to hear if this works?? A big fat NO!!!!!!!!!! Even inside of Best Buy where the 3G signal was strong I held it in my left and slowly but surely the bars went from 5 to 1 just like before. I was so excited. Finally the answer we all had been waiting for. I was ready too put this infamous IPhone4 death grip to bed. DAMN YOU INVISIBLE SHIELD DAMN YOU!!!!!
  • Reply 35 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If Best Buy sells this type of plastic covering for $9.99, they are robbing customers blind. All told, that product can't even cost a dollar.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If Best Buy sells this type of plastic covering for $9.99, they are robbing customers blind. All told, that product can't even cost a dollar.

By that logic, so does apple, with their bumper that costs $30 (after sept. 30)
  • Reply 37 of 41
    ptfernptfern Posts: 17member
    Quote:

One would consider this to be 'understood'... No?

It wouldn't make any (business) sense to support devices/products that weren't purchased through their own stores.

I didn't say otherwise. Oh and buy the way, a different store DID give me a free Invisible Shield protector. And the manager at this told me that there doing this for ALL IPhone customers, regardless of where they purchased it. So i guess it does make (business) sense, for them at least.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    This still does not make me want to buy from Best Buy.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    It's a bit noticeable, but it works!

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstri...66386/sizes/l/

Skip
  • Reply 40 of 41
    I bought my phone from an Apple Store less than a week ago and have not had any problems with the antenna issues yet and saw this was free so why not. I walked in the Best Buy in Woodland, CA and they asked no questions, applied the stickers and I walked out of the door. No problems.