Apple removes competitors' phones from iPhone 4 antenna page

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by druble View Post

Honestly, it probably was because of legal threats. The videos may have been faked. They did not even bother to cover the antenna in the top of the Droid X for example, yet they show this mysterious video of its bars dropping, but no one can seem to recreate what Apple has done.

No way. No company is stupid enough to open a legal can of worms when there is technological uncertainty of this kind.

In all likelihood, its competitors howled (although they asked for it, in good measure), tons of press reports followed (with coverage not necessarily to the competitors' liking), Apple realized that it had made its point (everybody had a good laugh in Cupertino), and just decided to move on.
  • Reply 22 of 88
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Unfortunate that people always get pissy when their fragile emotional bubbles are burst with actual knowledge.

It was a wonderfully informative reality check for the whiners, I'll miss those well-manicured, antennae-blocking hands.

Hehe...
  • Reply 23 of 88
    Quote:

Honestly, it probably was because of legal threats. The videos may have been faked. They did not even bother to cover the antenna in the top of the Droid X for example, yet they show this mysterious video of its bars dropping, but no one can seem to recreate what Apple has done.

Well I, unfortunately, don't own an iPhone since they're just to damn expensive in Portugal...but I do own an HTC Tattoo and I can get my bars to drop
  • Reply 24 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    This video was released before the iPhone 4 was released (05/26/2010), it wasn't made by Apple:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amPG52DVQuk

This was released on 06/28/2010, again it wasn't made by Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZvCQfQxiPM

These videos probably inspired Apple's response, fight fire with fire.

Finally some light entertainment (language warning):-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZVcRccCx0

Quote:

• Reply 25 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hulu Plus preview invites are being sent out now. Just signed up. Now to see how to compares to the selection and quality of other paid streaming services, like Netflix.

paying for quality content sound reasonable, but paying for content and still getting commercials!? i'll just watch on my pc and get the same service from the same company with the same commercials for FREE.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Off topic.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    markmsmarkms Posts: 9member
    Apple did this to stop the main stream media from escalating a minor issue, that all phones suffer from, into a huge iPhone-only issue.

Now that everyone knows the truth, no need to host the videos.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Really? You have evidence that there have been threats of legal action - and that they were the cause of Apple pulling down the site? And you have evidence that Apple faked the video? And you can prove that no one else can recreate Apple's work?

In the REAL world (you should really try to visit some time), there have been youtube videos on virtually every smart phone out there showing the bars dropping. It's just a fact of life.

And it's hard to imagine what the grounds for legal action would be - unless Apple really did completely falsify the videos - which is too ridiculous a premise to even consider.

There have been reports from multiple countries reporting no problems there. Apple (and all the individuals on YouTube) have proven beyond any reasonable doubt that it's not just an iPhone problem.

Once the situation gets to that point, there's no point continuing to beat the dead horse. You run the risk of whacking its heart back into action and resurrecting the entire issue.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Legal threats? Unlikely. More likely, the competitors agreed to stop reaming Apple in their advertising. It was turning into a war nobody wins.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Apple was guilty of false advertising.

End of story. Move along.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

And you are guilty of tripe. Moving along....
  • Reply 32 of 88
    rsmrsm Posts: 15member
    Who was taking out FULL PAGE ADS in the New York Times taking advantage of the iPhone antenna hysteria?

Apples competitors were asking for it and they got it.

All the whiners were loving it when Apple was doing nothing and getting hammered by the idiots in the tech media and retards on message boards like these.

As soon as Apple started fighting back those same people were "outraged" by what Apple was doing.

Comical.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Good. It was getting lame.

Especially because Apple didn't post for comparison a video of the signal drop when merely touching the iPhone 4 antenna gap--no stranglehold required.

Apple: if you have any integrity, bring back Field Test Mode.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No way. No company is stupid enough to open a legal can of worms when there is technological uncertainty of this kind.

In all likelihood, its competitors howled (although they asked for it, in good measure), tons of press reports followed (with coverage not necessarily to the competitors' liking), Apple realized that it had made its point (everybody had a good laugh in Cupertino), and just decided to move on.

Something I have noticed on the droid X is that it will go into a low power network mode. It will go from full bars to one, but as soon as you do something like hit the icon to make a phone call, or open mail, it jumps right back up to 4 bars. Apple could have recorded the phone going into low power mode without realizing that was what happened. Does not mean they did it on purpose, but did not understand how their competitors phone works, and was misinformed in the information they released about what was happening in the video. I mean they have that "State of the art" testing room right? Why would they show it off and then not use it?
  • Reply 35 of 88
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This video was released before the iPhone 4 was released (05/26/2010), it wasn't made by Apple:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amPG52DVQuk

This was released on 06/28/2010, again it wasn't made by Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZvCQfQxiPM

These videos probably inspired Apple's response, fight fire with fire.

Finally some light entertainment (language warning):-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZVcRccCx0

Look, I am not saying there are not phones out there that do not truly have an issue with hand placement. I have seen very convincing videos such as someone running a download speed test while demonstrating a bad spot to hold. Some of the phones Apple put up videos for really do have this problem, but some of the others do not appear to be affected to the extent that the Apple videos show.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

You forgot to check your Apple-envy at the door.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Something I have noticed on the droid X is that it will go into a low power network mode. It will go from full bars to one, but as soon as you do something like hit the icon to make a phone call, or open mail, it jumps right back up to 4 bars. Apple could have recorded the phone going into low power mode without realizing that was what happened. Does not mean they did it on purpose, but did not understand how their competitors phone works, and was misinformed in the information they released about what was happening in the video. I mean they have that "State of the art" testing room right? Why would they show it off and then not use it?

It really makes no difference at this point. iPhone demand continues, unabated. The whole antennagate affair is dead.
  • Reply 38 of 88
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    I love Apple, but the fact that Apple stepped down to the level of it's competitors seemed childish. All they needed to do was give out the bumper, and not bring other companies into it. It did not seem professional. I sometimes wonder if Apple still thinks that it is a Start-Up company and not one of the largest tech companies in the world. Take the high road, take care of your customers and take the profit to the bank.
  • Reply 39 of 88
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Look, I am not saying there are not phones out there that do not truly have an issue with hand placement. I have seen very convincing videos such as someone running a download speed test while demonstrating a bad spot to hold. Some of the phones Apple put up videos for really do have this problem, but some of the others do not appear to be affected to the extent that the Apple videos show.

How do you know some aren't affected to the extent Apple showed? Did you do the thorough test on any yourself? Remember even IP4 owners reported inconsistent feedback about the issue.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

And there's similar report about IP4, that if you touch the seam Safari stop download page but if you hit reload the download resume So what your point? You guys should move on. It's a dead horse. No one care if you keep beating it.