Apple investigating jailbreak vulnerabilities

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1689404]jailbreakme.com to allow users to unlock an iOS device

I think you mean "jailbreak" an iOS device

[QUOTE=AppleInsider;1689404]this is the first jailbreak that takes place only on the device itself.

Can anyone say 1.1.1?
  • Reply 22 of 52
    jhysonjhyson Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

No. COMEX was just brilliant! Not to mention he and the dev team are great guys and care about the JB comunity. People that don't like it just should NOT jb.

It's true, the JB community is a vibrant one. Unfortunately, like geohot said, it's become way too easy to JB and the 'community' is just a bunch of whiners who want the next unlock asap and the easier the better. I miss the days when unlocking or jailbreaking actually took some time and effort/skill.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Interesting, Apple plugged this hole by iOS 4.1b2, before JailbreakMe came out. Not sure if it was intentional or not, but it?s closed. Here?s what I get when i go to the site.

It was not intentional. Apple announced the pdf part of the exploit and fixed it for OS X before this happened. I'm sure that is where they got the inspiration to do this hack for iOS. The second phase of the attack was the ingenious part. This actually required two hacks to get in.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

These file format vulnerabilities are beginning to annoy me. PDF has been around for how long now? How fscking hard can it be to write a robust parser for a PDF with the amount of resources available with companies like Apple? It is nothing more than gross negligence.

It wasn't in the pdf parsing code. It was in the font rendering code. They injected a malicious font in the PDF file. Fonts actually contain interpreted code to give good results when rendering at small sizes. Apple redesigned their font architecture from the ground up a couple years ago to give significantly better performance. So they found an exploit in a relatively new system.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhyson View Post

I was thinking the same thing, and your right, it was the same domain. There was also a jailbreak the used the emergency phone key pad on a non-activated iPhone to hactivate and jailbreak with no computer required.

The phone was also less then a year old back then and Apple wasn't going after Enterprise customers. A similar hack now is a bigger deal, but the complexity of the hack shouldn't worry enterprise customers too much. They just need to make sure their phones are patched as soon as Apple releases the fix that is already in beta on day 0. As long as it doesn't get out of hand like the over-exagerated "antennagate" issue there is nothing to worry about. Not to mention that people are less likely to go to questionable web sites on their phones then their PCs.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    What? My iPhone is hackable? Unacceptable!!! I demand ANOTHER free bumper case!
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blogorant View Post

What? My iPhone is hackable? Unacceptable!!! I demand ANOTHER free bumper case!

I demand a free firewall with blacklist!
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesYFarley View Post

DNA: "Do NOT Apple"

Labeling the freedom Apple phone customers now have as "jailbreaking" is simultaneously insulting and typical Applespeak.

If Jobs wants people to use his phones the way he wants them used, he better start giving them away and not charge for airtime, either.

Jobs reminds me of the brain-dead Republican (pointless redundancy, I know) who says she doesn't want the press to ask her any questions she doesn't want to answer.

Apple didn't come up with that term.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    jz1492jz1492 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhyson View Post

... I'm sooooo glad that they came up with the oh so original ideas of third party apps, background wallpaper, tethering, multitasking, and others! We didn't even know we needed them until Apple told us we did. Well maybe jailbreakers had them ALL before apple released them ...

I don't believe for a minute that Apple didn't consider or plan all of those features and more from the very beginning for their OS X platform phone, when the smartphones they'd be competing against have had them for years --jailbreakers did not invent them.

People were already used to those features and Apple has been catering to them. After all, any OS is a work in progress.

You could make the point though, that we might have had multitasking earlier if the jailbreakers hadn't taken the pressure off of Apple by essentially fragmenting the iPhone market and sucking out all of those who would've petitioned for it, as Apple goes by priorities.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    iamiendiamiend Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jz1492 View Post

I don't believe for a minute that Apple didn't consider or plan all of those features and more from the very beginning for their OS X platform phone, when the smartphones they'd be competing against have had them for years --jailbreakers did not invent them.

People were already used to those features and Apple has been catering to them. After all, any OS is a work in progress.

You could make the point though, that we might have had multitasking earlier if the jailbreakers hadn't taken the pressure off of Apple by essentially fragmenting the iPhone market and sucking out all of those who would've petitioned for it, as Apple goes by priorities.

So you are arguing that Apple has been behind all along and iOS 4 wasn't really ready but they were forced to release it anyway... I agree 100%.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

2) There is already an app on Cydia you can install on your jailbroken iDevice to warn you that you may be opening a PDF that could access your system.

Oh, the irony. I'm sure jailbreakers will be happy to point out that in this instance, jailbreaking makes your iPhone more secure.

That's just hilarious.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Oh, the irony. I'm sure jailbreakers will be happy to point out that in this instance, jailbreaking makes your iPhone more secure.

That's just hilarious.

It is pretty funny, but it?s not the first time. The original iPhone Safari hack back with v1.1 actually plugged the exploit after it jailbroke your phone.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:

It is pretty funny, but it’s not the first time. The original iPhone Safari hack back with v1.1 actually plugged the exploit after it jailbroke your phone.

There might come a day when we will need Norton for our smartphones. And the most secure device will run a Windows OS.

Haha... Also, Americans will be sneaking into Mexico to find work, only to be deported.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    YEAH!! It is good discussion for jailbrake for iPhone 4.we can seize many information for iphone users.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    jz1492jz1492 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iamiend View Post

So you are arguing that Apple has been behind all along and iOS 4 wasn't really ready but they were forced to release it anyway... I agree 100%.

As the newcomer, Apple was definitely behind in many areas. They could have done a hack job and get away with being "on par" with the others, much like Google did with Android, but they instead chose to do every additional feature right and worth the wait.

I think they succeeded and are now head and shoulders above the competition in every area. I just wish they had given multitasking a higher priority.

Every OS company is forced to release on a regular basis, unless they want their "longhorn" to become a "vista", so there are always features that need to be left out for the moment. As long as the OS as released is "complete" in terms of usability for the intended purpose.

In this sense, iOS was complete and usable from version 1.0 thru version 4.x
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inman2787 View Post

YEAH!! It is good discussion for jailbrake for iPhone 4.we can seize many information for iphone users.

Your translation app sucks.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KangaMoJo View Post

So if I understand this right: go to a webpage that jailbreaks your phone and opens a huge security hole in your iPhone for mischief. AND you're doing it on purpose. All for a few marginally functional apps that you'll discover are crappy anyway only to revert to the original iOS anyway? Imagine a world where we all whine and complain that we couldn't jailbreak our refrigerators, microwaves, or TV's. Your phone is an appliance not your Jr. High science experiment. Go out and have a beer, meet up with some friends, play basketball, have s*x with your partner....whatever....but EVERYTHING in life is more important than jailbreaking your phone.

Malware, virus, etc..call it what you want. But it A) totally validates Apples closed system, and B) anyone dumb enough to do it deserves it.

For some, jailbreaking is about geeky stuff. Fair enough.

But let's face it, a lot of people jailbreak to pirate apps. Some don't, some do.

Nevermind the "marginally functional apps", you get virtually the whole App Store, cracked and free for you to download at your whim.

So some jailbreakers might actually (just throwing this out there) have more money to buy beers, basketball shoes, and gifts for their bf/gf to keep them happy.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inman2787 View Post

Quote:

Your translation app sucks.

LOL the new cry to arms... "All your base are belong to us" is so passé...

WARNING

WE CAN SEIZE MANY INFORMATIONZ!!
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

LOL "We can seize many information!" will be the new cry to arms since "All your base are belong to us" is so cliche...

WARNING

WE CAN SEIZE MANY INFORMATIONZ!!

... In tears over here
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:

... In tears over here

If I contribute nothing else on these forums, at least it's a few laughs...