Game Center not compatible with iPhone 3G in iOS 4.1 beta 3

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Recent software will trump old hardware every time, especially at this early stage in the smartphone game where both are changing at light speed. This is to be expected. The main two solutions are to keep running the old iOS on the old iPhone or upgrade to the new iPhone with the latest iOS. It sounds like you took the former approach.

Thompson

Well, yes and no. I took the former because I am a sucker for upgrades and often go against my better judgement. I then reverted. But all this was only a temporary measure while I was waiting to become eligible for an upgrade. Now I am but the iPhone4 cannot be had for love nor money in my part of Canada. Arrrgh... the trials and tribulations I must endure....
  • Reply 22 of 43
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I guess this is the second major fazeout of older iDevices first one being iPhone 2G/iPod Touch 1. I am sure a jailbreak will bring functionality back to these devices, but it looks like it's time to upgrade sometime during this device cycle.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Well, yes and no. I took the former because I am a sucker for upgrades and often go against my better judgement. I then reverted. But all this was only a temporary measure while I was waiting to become eligible for an upgrade. Now I am but the iPhone4 cannot be had for love nor money in my part of Canada. Arrrgh... the trials and tribulations I must endure....

What part of Canada are you from? I though UPS ships just about anywhere.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Is this release of iOS 4.1 iPhone only? I was under the impression iOS 4 would be the same for both devices, and no longer split between the two...

Has someone tried iOS 4.1 on an iPad?

iOS will eventually be upgraded on the iPad as well, but they are currently out of sync. Give it time to come together. Things are moving too quickly to necessarily be kept in sync.

Thompson
  • Reply 25 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

iOS will eventually be upgraded on the iPad as well, but they are currently out of sync. Give it time to come together. Things are moving too quickly to necessarily be kept in sync.

Thompson

I wonder if they will ever be kept in sync. The device types are to disparate to be kept in sync like YoY iPhone and iPod Touch models.

If, as I suspect, they do add more iOS-based devices to the lineup which don't utilize CocoaTouch then a sunce update cycle gets even more complex and pointless.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Let?s hope it?s temporary: if phones sold around a month ago don?t support GC, then I?ll think about just using OpenFeint for my game, and jump to GC in a a couple years maybe. But I?m not assuming the worst yet!
  • Reply 27 of 43
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

That worked for me for about two weeks before everything slowed down again.

i have to reboot my 3gs with iOS 4 every few days. probably a lot of memory leaks in there. and the task bar is probably a culprit as well.

OS 3 wasn't that stable until 3.1.3. my 3GS used to reboot spontaneously
  • Reply 28 of 43
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

OK, those people you know suffer some strange logic. Since iOS 4 is running slowly on their older hardware, why in heck are they staying far away from iPhone 4? It blazes man.

The antenna issue? Scoff.

Thompson

90% of games in the app store require first gen hardware. except for apple not supporting 2nd gen hardware there is no reason to upgrade if you don't have to
  • Reply 29 of 43
    But golly, I thought fragmentation only happened on other mobile OSes.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Guess its the slow perforance of the devices on iOS4. .

Oh well, I luckly returned my 2nd gen iPod Touch for a 3rd gen .
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

I wonder why iOS 4 isn't slow for me, like, it does NOT take 5 seconds to load a web page. I wonder why my experience of iOS 4 IS NOT that it is "a mess right now."

I wonder if you are stating your OPINION and not any real facts??????

I'm with you.

Programs may take a little longer to load but not much longer. Bento, which I use all the time and traditionally took a while to load, actually loaded up quicker.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hapalibashi View Post

So people that bought a 3G 6 months ago have no right to complain about the *reduction* in speed (not lack of), that renders their new phone unusable ? Apple has not stated they no longer support the 3G.

Apple actively encourage all users to upgrade via iTunes. There was no warning that it would be slow, there is no list of minimum system requirements. It has been oversold and a load of customers have traded a usable phone for "folders".

Good job. Couldn't have said it better myself. While I will upgrade at some point in the near future, having to do it because Apple almost made my current phone unusable is not the best reason to have to do so.

I understand technology changes and that is why I have said numerous times I would be more accepting if Apple would have cut off the upgrade to 3G users. An honest, "sorry your phone isn't powerful enough for the changes of the new OS." is much better than "sure it'll work just fine."

Don't forget this is a sanctioned upgrade from Apple. Imagine how many less tech savvy owners of 3G units are saying WTF after they updated their hardware. What is their opinion of Apple/iPhone right now? Without the flag from iTunes many of them would have never known about the update.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Good job. Couldn't have said it better myself. While I will upgrade at some point in the near future, having to do it because Apple almost made my current phone unusable is not the best reason to have to do so.

I understand technology changes and that is why I have said numerous times I would be more accepting if Apple would have cut off the upgrade to 3G users. An honest, "sorry your phone isn't powerful enough for the changes of the new OS." is much better than "sure it'll work just fine."

Have you read Apple's iOS 4 website?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple

Compatibility

iOS 4 works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.

Where did they say it will work just fine?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Why do people assume they should get updates? Technology progresses very fast and tomorrows phones will be able to do things that today's can't. You shouldn't expect your phone to be magically able to handle these things.

People have short memories, before the iphone came on the scene, can you ever remember updating your phone? And before the iphone came on the scene can you remember getting a free major OS update anywhere (linux does not count), not just on the phone?
  • Reply 35 of 43
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    iOS 4 has really slowed down my second generation iPod touch. Lots of apps have a longer than usual pause when you boot them up and now safari crashes alot (which it never used to do). I will be upgrading to an iPhone 4 later this year.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Have you read Apple's iOS 4 website?

Where did they say it will work just fine?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

I have no idea what your point is. To answer you question though, no I didn't go to that previously unknown link before I connected my iPhone to iTunes and received the update message from Apple.

Just to see if there was some reason for the link you posted other than the
    Quote:

iOS 4 works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.

part I did go to the link you provided and after reading it a few times I still can't find the part that says, "This update will slow iPhone 3G's performance to an almost unusable level. Only apply update if you are justifying the purchase of an iPhone 4."

Again people, I don't think anyone who has a 3G was expecting some sort of miracle performance. For those of us that have this slow-down issue know how real it is. For those that don't, well consider yourself lucky. You will just have to take our word on how bad it is.

How happy would you be if you had to wait 40 seconds for your iPod app to open because it timed out the first time you tapped the icon and almost timed out the second time?

People on these message boards have updates that go bad from time to time. Just because it didn't happen to me doesn't mean I don't believe them. Nor do I tell them to go buy a new machine. Remember, Apple just stopped selling 3G phones a few weeks ago.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Remember, Apple just stopped selling 3G phones a few weeks ago.

Just a heads-up - the 3Gs is still being sold new where I live while the 3G seems to be sold out of official channels. You can still buy a brand new 3G from non-official sources though.

BTW, that was a great post. Kudos.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

My 'opinion' is that ios4 slowed my 3g to a crawl and it became unusable to all intents and purposes. 5 seconds for a web page. Try 5 seconds for most screen refreshes no matter what app. or 5 secs for text to appear after having typed a given word. I totally re-installed and did every other trick floating about in the ether at present. Then I reverted to ios3 and I am back to the old pretty slow but usable 3g. 'Fact' or 'opinion'? You tell me.

Neither, it's an experience. Some people will experience this issue, some won't. It's also a problem, one that you could tell Apple about? No? Aright then, I won't strain your brain. Pssst... apple.com/feedback
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomas Gilling View Post

Pssst... apple.com/feedback

Been there, done that. Waiting to see what the response is in 4.1.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parsec View Post

Exactly, there is no permanent fix. A full reinstall works because it reboots the phone, which helps for a day or so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

I wonder why iOS 4 isn't slow for me, like, it does NOT take 5 seconds to load a web page. I wonder why my experience of iOS 4 IS NOT that it is "a mess right now."

I wonder if you are stating your OPINION and not any real facts??????

Well many here are talking about speed.

All I can state as fact is i have 3.0 3G

neighboor has ios 4, 3GS and says a lot of the time a page can take a while to load.

I wonder if it's like when they released 3.0. Until eveyone had it, not having it out a caused slow speeds everywhere. Just an idea.