Pink Floyd albums removed from iTunes after record contract expires

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    ch2coch2co Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

So Pink Floyd is basically of the major music market in the US - downloads.

Give him a few months of smaller royalty checks and he may be back.

But then the Beetles have been willing to see millions lost from their refusal be on iTunes and other stores. Must be nice to be so rick you can turn away from millions like that.

So, which one is Pink?

gg
  • Reply 22 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Pink Floyd never really released singles though

They did in their early days.

gg
  • Reply 23 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

I am so glad I downloaded all their albums few months ago.

I'm glad that I bought them all on VINYL.

gg
  • Reply 24 of 104
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Noooooooooooo!!!!!!
  • Reply 25 of 104
    hauerghauerg Posts: 29member
    Quote:

That' ... well ... not exactly ... ahem

Pls have a look at the left side of this page (saying discography/singles):

http://www.floydian.de/index.htm?/do...en_singles.htm

I think this is just BS to get more $$ from album sales.

And yes, I own most of their pre-Wall albums as LP and CD and bought concert tickests in the 70s. But again, this is BS.

Price the songs at 1.29 and the albums at 7.99 and lots of people will get the whole album experience. And they buyers of sigle songs are offered the option to cheaply upgrade to the album. At least at iTunes.

(Today I bought some 20 versions of Joe Zawinul's composition "Birdland" performed by various artists. Guess how many I would have bought if I had to buy the whole album.)
  • Reply 26 of 104
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Idiots!

You mean like Steve Jobs forcing users to buy the entire Apple Vision instead of letting people buy individual components of said vision?. Like selling OS X to any and all buyers?
  • Reply 27 of 104
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbcaro View Post

Pink Floyd albums are journeys that should never be broken apart.

I totally agree, but couldn't they just flag all tracks as 'album only' in iTunes?
  • Reply 28 of 104
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

You mean like Steve Jobs forcing users to buy the entire Apple Vision instead of letting people buy individual components of said vision?. Like selling OS X to any and all buyers?

Apple did that (the cloning era of the mid 90's) and it turned out that it was literally bankrupting the company - the situation is not comparable. The music industry is a different business and it's literally apples to oranges.
  • Reply 29 of 104
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    David Lynch films on DVDs don't come with chapters - if you wanted to skip to a section on earlier players you had to fast-forward through the entire thing. (Nowadays there are more direct navigation tools available, including sliders in software players.) So if Pink Floyd really insisted in an all-or-nothing album they should have eliminated the separate tracks altogether.
  • Reply 30 of 104
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlarkin View Post

Piss on Pink Floyd and the Beatles. They keep the piracy business booming, and especially the Beatles have lost tens of millions in dollars for their arrogant stupidity.

Too late baby. Sell your stuff after you, Yoko, and your dumbass advisors are gone.

AGREED!

Beatles, I enjoyed and have most of their albums. No tapes or CDs or Digital.

But grew tired hearing the same thing over and over and over again. Beatles in iTunes, if it ever happens, meh!

Pink Floyd, I enjoyed a few of their songs on the radio. Never owned any of their albums, tapes, CDs or Digital and never will. They ain't my thang!
  • Reply 31 of 104
    Quote:

HE might be back?!?! Somehow I think Mr. Floyd or PINK to his dearest friends will some how find a way to carry on.
  • Reply 32 of 104
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

AGREED!

Beatles, I enjoyed and have most of their blah blah blah ...

Worried you'll be ignored?
  • Reply 33 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Apple did that (the cloning era of the mid 90's) and it turned out that it was literally bankrupting the company - the situation is not comparable. The music industry is a different business and it's literally apples to oranges.

Apple and oranges perhaps but the fact reamains, the OWNER of the content has the ULTIMATE say as to how it is to be sold and if they happen to make a choice you don't like it doesn't give anyone the right to just steal it instead.

Look the band could tern around and say that from this point forward all songs will be sold in blocks of 11 and sorted alphabetically. SO ifvyou want to buy Wish You Were Here you'd have to buy the other 10 tracks that fall in before and or after that title when all their tracks are sorted alphabetically* except for songs released in even years when the group of 11 are strictly in chronological order... Except in years with a total eclipse of the sun when visible from the northern hemisphere then ...

I happen to agree with most PF fans who feel their albums are only truly appreciated when they are listened to as a complete work. Having said that I also believe the owner of a work has EVERY right to dictate how it's sold. If tomorrow Absolute decided to ONLY allow case sales it has every right to.
  • Reply 34 of 104
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    I saw these guys in concert about a month ago in Costa Mesa at the Orange County Fair (Pacific Amphitheater). They suck at singing and their performance was not up to par.

Why does anyone care if they sell their songs or not? They are just playing the artistic bullshit game. If they have no money, they will let their representative sell anything, but they have millions in the bank, so they don't care. I don't own a single song or album of them, and I don't care.

As for the Yoko Ono insult on millions of fans, she is 77 and soon her ass will be gone too. Then her children will make the right decision. No one lives forever, but songs will outlast them all.

Go to Limewire, if you need Pink Floyd or Beatles songs. It is free!
  • Reply 35 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Another stupid, insulting "USA only" story that's not marked as such because no one bothered to check on the other countries?

Pink Floyd is still in *my* iTunes store, all the albums.

Europe, right? We get a lot of that from Europe
  • Reply 36 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

I saw these guys in concert about a month ago in Costa Mesa at the Orange County Fair (Pacific Amphitheater). They suck at singing and their performance was not up to par.

Why does anyone care if they sell their songs or not? They are just playing the artistic bullshit game. If they have no money, they will let their representative sell anything, but they have millions in the bank, so they don't care. I don't own a single song or album of them, and I don't care.

As for the Yoko Ono insult on millions of fans, she is 77 and soon her ass will be gone too. Then her children will make the right decision. No one lives forever, but songs will outlast them all.

Go to Limewire, if you need Pink Floyd or Beatles songs. It is free!

You saw a Pink Floyd cover band and not Pink Floyd
  • Reply 37 of 104
    Quote:

Yeah, they did. I bought some - in addition to their albums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd_discography
  • Reply 38 of 104
    Quote:

That would be quite the miracle.
  • Reply 39 of 104
    Quote:

Somehow I don't think the reduced money will be an issue to David Gilmour.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...sion.pinkfloyd

I'd also read that he was simplifying his life and giving away a lot of his possessions.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:

No you didn't. If you would have, your comments would likely have been quite different.

Regs, Jarkko