Pink Floyd albums removed from iTunes after record contract expires

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbcaro View Post

Pink Floyd albums are journeys that should never be broken apart.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Reply 62 of 104
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Pink Floyd should pull ther stuff off the radio if they don't want their albums split up. They are getting royalty money for each play.
  • Reply 63 of 104
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member

... after 200 or 300 years does "Mozart's Record Company" get any royalties ?

Humm, wonder how Pink Floyd will be doing in 200 or 300 years ?

(any of you ever hear of Billy Murray, Ben Selvin, Peerless Quartet, et al - sold a LOT of 78's)

Yea, good ol' Irving Berlin (and others) who invented ASCAP to make sure THEY wouldn't end up same as Stephen Foster - who's "Swanee River" *sold* more than any song ever in USA (was #1 - with a Bullet - for 50 years), but he only got about $100.00 for his part.

Oh well, what ya gonna do ... if it ain't one thing, it's another

dubya dubya dubya usenet/newsgroups

dubya dubya dubya bittorrent

(be aware that any activity via your computer/internet connection is subject to various laws according to your location. AppleInsider, as well as its subsidiaries and parent companies, is/are not responsible for your downloading activities and do not condone piracy of any nature ... arrrr )

Oh, p.s.

Every time you buncha lawless gangstas sing "Happy Birthday" you're supposed to mail $0.25 to the Estate of the two Lil' Ol' Ladies who wrote the song - it IS "copy righted"

• Reply 64 of 104
    I think this is great for Pink Floyd. Their vision of the album is that it is to be taken as a whole. I applaud them in suing their record company to preserve that.

Personally, I'd like to see that on occasion. Take Dark Side of the Moon, if I were them I'd get it listed as album only, BUT I'd have "Money" and possibly "Breathe" as single track downloads. Probably the same with The Wall, purchase as a whole, but offer "Another Brick in the Wall Part2", "Comfortably Numb" and whatever songs the radio plays as single track downloads.

If the market dislikes this change, sales of the album will reflect that. Not every album needs this of course, and pop stars like 50 cent would hurt themselves as his audience is a singles driven one.

Kudos to PF!
  • Reply 65 of 104
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Another stupid, insulting "USA only" story that's not marked as such because no one bothered to check on the other countries?

Pink Floyd is still in *my* iTunes store, all the albums.

Then there's no news there.
  • Reply 66 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

So Pink Floyd is basically of the major music market in the US - downloads.

Give him a few months of smaller royalty checks and he may be back.

But then the Beetles have been willing to see millions lost from their refusal be on iTunes and other stores. Must be nice to be so rick you can turn away from millions like that.

Who is "him"? And who are the Beetles?

You obviously need a lesson in music and the music industry. The record company (EMI) controls what is done with the music they own. Because the artists (in this case the Beatles and Pink Floyd) won't agree to being paid nothing for the rights to their music, so EMI is holding the music back.

Too bad EMI has turned out this way. I used to respect them, because they were the first major record company (and the only one for a long time) that would sell improved sound quality downloads on iTunes. All that good will has worn off - now they're just as idiotic as the other major record companies.
  • Reply 67 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Just for the record. I was was rised on Pink Floyd music stating from '70 back in Europe where I lived. Pink Floyd music is not about single songs, but about composition. I know that some songs sound better and one may skip to favorite parts, but someone has to be arrogant ignorant to take one song completely out of context/composition and buy it. Artist has right to prevent that. Art is not wholesale of cheap "Made in...." product. Otherwise it would not be art despite what some call art.

Having said that I own most of Pink Floyd albums and I have converted them to MP3 to listen on my iPods.

Well considering their song "Money" has been played on radio for 40+ years as a single, not to mention all their other material, the album ship for Pink Floyd sailed long ago.

But this isn't about artistic integrity, its about the money. If Pink Floyd owns their own catalog now, iTunes has the best return out of any record contract ever, they'd keep 70%. Not to mention they could select 'Album Only' to list their music. The only reason they are stalling is because they want special treatment or some sort of cash 'signing fee' from Apple. Ditto with The Beatles and all the other hold outs.

Artistically speaking, fans shouldn't have to suffer through the tedium of the Dark Side Of The Moon's filler tracks (ie. the cheesy, annoying cater-walling lady song with horrible saxophone solo), just to hear the higher effort stuff. Sorry to hear about your child abuse.
  • Reply 68 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Pink Floyd is still in the Australian store, it's a wonder those "Relics" still have a "Pulse".

I wonder what would happen if I sent one as a gift via iTunes?
  • Reply 69 of 104
    Who??
  • Reply 70 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

When someone uses the words "artistic integrity" that can be roughly translated, "I'm full of myself and take myself way to seriously." They don't want to sell digital music cause they can't handle the sales records pointing out how much some of their music sucks.

Oh well, they'll never make it into my iTunes collection either way so big deal.

Wow, I care so much about what's in your iTunes collection. Who are you again?
  • Reply 71 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Pink Floyd never really released singles though

the people who understand and appreciate the album as a whole will buy it. the ones who don't and never will might like a song or 2. if pink floyd doesn't want to sell to those pick and choosers then that is their business as artists. but the reality of it is that they have made enough money to take the high road and claim whatever in the name of 'art'. if they were a new band and broke then that artys fartsy ideal would be second to generating money.
  • Reply 72 of 104
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Pink Floyd should pull ther stuff off the radio if they don't want their albums split up. They are getting royalty money for each play.

In the US, only the songwriters get royalties for airplay, not the performing musicians. Also, given the (sorry) state of music royalties in the US, it's basically impossible for a published songwriter or performing artist to have their stuff pulled off the radio. And to not publish exposes the artist to what amounts to rampant institutional piracy (i.e. they get paid nothing) without recourse since ASCAP and BMI pretty much have those markets locked up.
  • Reply 73 of 104
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

This is more about PF wresting control of away from EMI than anything else.

You're right of course.. but having fun with some of the posters is just too tempting to avoid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I personally own "Money", "Time"/"Us and Them", "Wish You Were Here", and "Run Like Hell". Though at present I don't have a functional turntable to play them on. :

Ah yes... and just now I'm remembering a simpler time in my life when I would rub my finger over my turntable needle to remove the never ending ball of dust that would materialize almost constantly ... Knowing full well that it was _B_A_D_ and totally unacceptable behavior... Yet somehow, it always felt so good doing it... Kinda like cracking your knuckles.

Actually it would drive my friend totally crazy whenever he caught me doing it. "Like fingers on a chalkboard!" he'd say... Which simply reinforced my desire to do it.
  • Reply 74 of 104
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Numerous albums from legendary rock band Pink Floyd have disappeared from Apple's iTunes store, along with other digital storefronts, following the expiration of a contract between the band and its record label..

Those guys are crazy, aren't they? They must be if they think anyone will care about them if they aren't available at the iTunes store.

Buh bye, Lunatics!
  • Reply 75 of 104
    Unless you're a druggie, personally responsible for countless deaths in Mexico, I doubt you care.
  • Reply 76 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

PinkFloyed the Movie was also removed from the iTunes Store on Apple TV!

It has to be one of the most self-conscious, sophomoric, chuckle-inducing movies of all time. Almost ruined the music for me. (Up there with 'Tommy the Movie').
  • Reply 77 of 104
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Last I heard, Apple doesn't have any presence on the moon, so I don't even know why this blog exists.
  • Reply 78 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jschau View Post

Unless you're a druggie, personally responsible for countless deaths in Mexico, I doubt you care.

Wow. That's random.
  • Reply 79 of 104
    On iTunes or not, Pink Floyd rules.
  • Reply 80 of 104
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Last I heard, Apple doesn't have any presence on the moon, so I don't even know why this blog exists.

What blog are you referring to?