Inside Apple's iOS 4.1 update: proximity sensor fix, GameCenter, more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    My forth-coming Droid X combined with a FaceTime-enabled iPod Touch is going to be a killer combination. I'm on the network I want, with the phone that I want, and still have access to all of the unique features iOS 4 and the iPhone 4 provide.

Can't wait! Apple, don't let me down on this one.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

There was no widespread problem with the iPhone 3G. This is purely an iPhone 4 issue. I think they may be using the front facing camera now instead of the infrared sensor, so the problem is the result of the iPhone 4 using a different implementation. It may have something to do with only one sensor instead of two on the new phone as well. My guess is that they are increasing the delay before the touchscreen is reactivated and maybe fine tuning their image processing algorithm a bit.

This doesn't make much sense to me. No way they are using the camera.

You are right that the sensor worked perfectly through all revisions of the three previous models of iPhone. But I think what that tells us is that it's less likely to be software/firmware related and more likely to be down to a physical difference with iPhone 4. Either a different sensor being used or maybe the refraction index of the glass has changed or something.

If it was a software/firmware mistake, again it would be more likely that having multiple versions of working code in multiple revisions of the OS, they could fix it quickly. The fact that the fix wasn't in the first update again indicates it's a new problem and not just bad coding.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I'd like to see the ability to stream content from iTunes libraries implemented. There are some third party apps which attempt to allow this (such as Air Video and Orb), but they're all rather clunky. I'd like the iPod app (on both the iPhone and iPad) to just see shared libraries as iTunes does, and stream from them. The Apple TV has been able to do this forever, so why not the iPad/iPhone?
  • Reply 24 of 53
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

These screen shots don't look like something Apple would design. Just don't look right to me. I'm calling BS!

Relax. There are always visual theme changes along the timeline of app development.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Here's to hoping the alleged email is real and also applies to the 2G iPod Touch.

Does anyone know if the 2G iPod Touch will support Game Centre? I can't remember if this was one of the new-hardware-only features.

I've got a Touch 2G running 4.0 Jailbroken to run multitasking and background wallpaper. Never had any issues with speed unless I ran more then 4 apps (unless of course on is a game at which point it slowed down significantly).

Gamecenter worked perfectly on my touch when the developer release was going around and I don't see why it would not work when it's finally released. I am sure jailbreaking community will figure out a way to put it on my 2Gen even if it does not come officially.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'd like to see the ability to stream content from iTunes libraries implemented. There are some third party apps which attempt to allow this (such as Air Video and Orb), but they're all rather clunky. I'd like the iPod app (on both the iPhone and iPad) to just see shared libraries as iTunes does, and stream from them. The Apple TV has been able to do this forever, so why not the iPad/iPhone?

Its *gotta* be coming for iTunes 10 this year. I'm predicting wireless sync, as well as iTunes library access over the air. Come on. Apple can't seriously end the decade without adding at least one of those two features.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I hope the OS pops up a warning dialog when an app uses the contact photos API. Any old app could gather those photos and beam them back to their home server.

It's too bad that spell check is now optional, it was probably helping to improve the standard of spelling in the population in general.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Ya! Proximity sensor fix! I was just on a call with an important client and my screen turned on and caused the speaker phone button to activate... could have been the hang up button if I was not so lucky.

You couldn't just press the home button as a temporary work around? You may activate another odd function, but you won't lose the call. Well at least not because of the proximity sensor. Maybe AT&T will drop your call....
  • Reply 29 of 53
    You mention bluetooth connectivity but how about bluetooth audio controls (AVRCP)? Any word? There was a rumour a month-or-so ago saying it had more complete support such as adding skip/previous/next track alongside the current play/pause functionality. Was this just a nasty rumour or is the extra functionality there? I've never been able to get anyone to confirm it yet.

My car stereo supports it, but the iPhone doesn't and it's driving me nuts not being able to skip tracks while I'm behind the wheel.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkAllan View Post

You mention bluetooth connectivity but how about bluetooth audio controls (AVRCP)? Any word? There was a rumour a month-or-so ago saying it had more complete support such as adding skip/previous/next track alongside the current play/pause functionality. Was this just a nasty rumour or is the extra functionality there? I've never been able to get anyone to confirm it yet.

My car stereo supports it, but the iPhone doesn't and it's driving me nuts not being able to skip tracks while I'm behind the wheel.

That and fixing some of the WiFi issues would be great for me.

Don't really care about the Game thing.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:

I'm eagerly awaiting AVRCP as well. According to 9to5, its included in 4.1

http://9to5mac.com/ios-beta-brings-f...Mac-MacAllDay+

Look here for further testimonials, specifically in the later replies:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...3#post10539253
  • Reply 32 of 53
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

Even on the 2G. Mine puts people on hold or hangs up on them sometimes. It's like it has it's own personality.

My 3G does that too. I also get ridiculous delays just trying to answer a call. The unlock slider won't slide. I was thinking about downgrading this weekend, but if the new release is coming soon I guess I'll wait.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

AVRCP is fixed in beta 3
  • Reply 34 of 53
    My iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.02 has very poor battery life. I get only a few hours compared to all day

Any tips on how to fix? Or wait for 4.1?
  • Reply 35 of 53
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Nothing on that list that will get me to update passed 4.0.1. Jailbreak is far too useful. I'm sure I'll be able to get game center another way.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I predict GC will ultimately run on all iOS devices.

Don't count on it being for ALL iOS devices. Do you really think that Apple will update the iPhone 2G and 1st gen iPod Touch? Apple didn't even release an update to fix the major PDF security hole for those devices.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    galoregalore Posts: 35member
    I don't know about upgrading. My iPhone 3G became slower with each "upgrade" rendering it a frustrating device within a year - a far cry from the smooth user experience when I first got it.

I'm still on the original firmware with my IP4 and won't upgrade unless there's some really, really, really, really HUGE improvement or bug-fix.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1)

2) Assuming it?s real, I had hoped Jobs would have stopped with these damn emails to people. Didn?t it already blow up in Apple?s face and make this silly ?antenna-gate? issue worse than what it should have been had Jobs not been replying to people..

Tell you what. After you form a multi-billion dollar international conglomerate that changes the entire world, then you can start giving advice to Steve.

Until then, STFU.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I've got a Touch 2G running 4.0 Jailbroken to run multitasking and background wallpaper.

These excuses crack me up. There is no excuse for jailbrealing anymore. The iP4 already HAS multitasking. The iP4 already HAS wallpaper.

No, the real reason for all jailbreaking is the same as ever: To steal from Apple and to hurt the Apple community.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's too bad that spell check is now optional, it was probably helping to improve the standard of spelling in the population in general.

It kind of ruins my User Experience when I see a misspelled word in a text message that I receive. Giving people the choice to turn it off is a huge mistake. Probably just for geeks who use weird words. I hope that nobody finds out about this "option" except for hardcore geeks.