Apple officially launches iPhone 4 Case Program

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    My bumpers shipping to me already. That's pretty quick.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    I ended up going with the Griffin Reveal Etch iPhone 4 case. I liked the Speck Fitted Case as well, but wasn't sure about the raised diamonds.

Like others here, I do carry the iPhone 4 in my pocket a bit and wasn't sure about the ease of removal from the pocket without the propensity to drop it if it snagged on the pocket material.

One thing I will also say. I was absolutely stunned by the amount of damage that was NOT prevented by my case on my 3Gs. There ended up being two very visible pit-like scratches on the back and the silver ring around the front of the phone ended up being pitted as well. I installed the case the day I bought the phone, and NEVER took it off. Dust is funny stuff.

Now, mind you, these were very small, but surprising none-the-less. None of these markings prevented me from selling it to NextWorth in a "like new" condition, so there you go.

YMMV, but I would be curious about other's experiences with whatever case or bumper they receive from this offer.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    any chance we'll be able to get non-black bumpers? I want a white one, but it says they're unavailable on Apple's site. If they're not giving them away, why can't u buy one?
  • Reply 64 of 76
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    It seems, Apple's switched all production lines to one single color to fulfill the demand.

Anyway, all available colors were looking really ailing with black model. There's not a single combination, which might have been seen as drawn up thoughtfully form aesthetic standpoint. And this is the most obvious shortcoming of Apple's bumpers. They're looking cheap and rustic. May be somewhat interesting as Apple history memorial, no more.

All cases proposed within the program are just cheap garbage.

Go grab it crybabies; you wanted it really bad.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Well why don't you get one of the other ones?

It's not like Apple keeps you in a walled garden, they give you a choice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I have an iP4 since the day of its released that never dropped a call! As an early adopter I've been more impressed by this product than any I've seen in my entire life. And yes, I have experience Proximity Sensor issues, etc.

The bumper is an ugly strip of PVC, an eco-poison AAPL has been struggling to rid itself of for years. And it destroys the appearance of one of the greatest examples of industrial engineering and design I've ever laid my eyes on!

What the heck is AAPL thinking? I'm on record stating today is the lowest point in AAP's history.

• Reply 66 of 76
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    My black bumper showed up yesterday. I put it on, it's actually a nice case. It lasted all the way up until I went to plug it into my audio deck in my car. Case fail.

I still stand by the fact it's a great phone without a case. Has a good feel to it and I have yet to see a scratch on it even though it's been in my pocket with keys since release. As a matter of fact, I've never gotten a scratch on any of my iPhones since version 1 and they've all lived close to a keychain.

I don't have any reception issues in Phoenix without a case. Signal is strong. No Antenna-gate (ugh) here.
  • Reply 67 of 76
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I'm still fairly happy with my 3GS so was planning to upgrade to iPhone 4 in perhaps December (just before the UK VAT increase! :-) ) however this programme only runs until 30 Sep 10 - is there a new iPhone (I don't think so) or is Apple saying well we know there's an issue but we're doing the bear minimum to appease the customers who bought before they were aware of this issue, if you buy iPhone 4 after 30 Sep and you should know better?

This doesn't sit easy with me and it's a real mixed message. They really need to pull the videos of the other phones off their web site. Fundamentally those phones cannot be held in a way that shorts out two antennas; on the iPhone you can, whilst I don't have any comment on the real-life impact with that they are not comparing apples with apples so to speak.

Going slightly further off-topic and perhaps my little knowledge is dangerous here... but I haven't seen any mention when any of these tests are conducted on iPhone 4 whether then WiFI/Bluetooth is on or off. I suspect the effect on shorting the two antenna together is vastly different depending on whether the second aerial just becomes an extension to the first aerial or whether suddenly you have two (i.e. BT and UMTS or WiFI and UMTS) transmitters competing on a single aerial.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    Well done Apple, you have done it again. How to come out of complaints with the iPhone 4 itself to complaint with Apples owen brand bumbers!!!!!

Purchased my UK iPhone on day 1 and got a Griffin case to protect it so as I can sell my phone in a year or 2 for top bucks.

However, when Apple decided to give me a case for free, I opted for their own Bumper (no way I was paying £25 for a piece of plactic otherwise). I waited patiently for the 5 week delivery period and as soon as the bumper arrived spent 5 minutes trying to get it out of the packaging without damaging it!

Put it on my phone and went to work......

Got to work where I have a retractable charge cable plugged into my laptop so as not to have trailing cables and... couldn't plug it in due to the thin plastic cover directly around the charge hole in the phone (Griffin don't have this). Got in the Car on the way home, placed the phone in my Belkin (yes they are available on the Apple store) car charger, all seemed fine. Until after a 2 hour drive with CoPilot running the phone died....Why, because it wasn't charging as the port wouldn't go in far enough due to the poor design of the Bumper!!!! Again no problem with the Belkin one.

No for the real issue... I work in Bristol where a Apple Store is located. I toke the Bumper in to get a replacement to be told two things;

1. They are aware of the problem and all of the staff in the store have changed their Bumpers due to their own Docks, Chargers, Stereos, Car units......

2. They cannot give a replacement as it was 'purchased' online

So..... Contact the returns number in the paperwork that came with the Bumper. Explained the issue and the rep agreed it was not ideal. He therefore asked if I could get a replacement, this toke a couple of days. I received and email from him confirming that I COULD NOT get a replacement for my bumper.

Therefore, if you want to get a guaranteed from Apple, BUY the bumper. If it is a gift they don;t have to uphold any warranty issues!!!!!
  • Reply 69 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timshep View Post

Well done Apple, you have done it again. How to come out of complaints with the iPhone 4 itself to complaint with Apples owen brand bumbers!!!!!

Purchased my UK iPhone on day 1 and got a Griffin case to protect it so as I can sell my phone in a year or 2 for top bucks.

However, when Apple decided to give me a case for free, I opted for their own Bumper (no way I was paying £25 for a piece of plactic otherwise). I waited patiently for the 5 week delivery period and as soon as the bumper arrived spent 5 minutes trying to get it out of the packaging without damaging it!

Put it on my phone and went to work......

Got to work where I have a retractable charge cable plugged into my laptop so as not to have trailing cables and... couldn't plug it in due to the thin plastic cover directly around the charge hole in the phone (Griffin don't have this). Got in the Car on the way home, placed the phone in my Belkin (yes they are available on the Apple store) car charger, all seemed fine. Until after a 2 hour drive with CoPilot running the phone died....Why, because it wasn't charging as the port wouldn't go in far enough due to the poor design of the Bumper!!!! Again no problem with the Belkin one.

No for the real issue... I work in Bristol where a Apple Store is located. I toke the Bumper in to get a replacement to be told two things;

1. They are aware of the problem and all of the staff in the store have changed their Bumpers due to their own Docks, Chargers, Stereos, Car units......

2. They cannot give a replacement as it was 'purchased' online

So..... Contact the returns number in the paperwork that came with the Bumper. Explained the issue and the rep agreed it was not ideal. He therefore asked if I could get a replacement, this toke a couple of days. I received and email from him confirming that I COULD NOT get a replacement for my bumper.

Therefore, if you want to get a guaranteed from Apple, BUY the bumper. If it is a gift they don;t have to uphold any warranty issues!!!!!

No case ever made for iPhone has been compatible with any charging, docking, or other accessory. This is a given, and its common sense. The bumper does not interfere with the usage of the Apple charging cable, or the Apple earphones. It even works with most 3rd party audio jack connectors.

It does not work with any other 30 pin connector accessory, because they are all far too thick. Most accessories are using molds from 5 year old iPod cables and have not updated their manufacturing to be more in line with Apple product changes...in this case, in several years.

Nothing out of the ordinary here. Apple product, Apple case. iPhones are best used without any case whatsoever, including the iPhone 4, but if you feel the need to use an unnecessary case, you be prepared for it to not fit anything else in the eco system, after you've effectively changed the entire set of proportions.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    pzelfpzelf Posts: 2member
    I have never had any reception problems with my iPhone 4

Still i have several cases, becourse i like them, not becourse they solve problems
  • Reply 71 of 76
    Wow, so I went today to check to see if Apple added any cases in colors I want, and now my phone is no longer eligible for a free case.. isn't that like... impossible?
  • Reply 72 of 76
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

Wow, so I went today to check to see if Apple added any cases in colors I want, and now my phone is no longer eligible for a free case.. isn't that like... impossible?

Doesn't make sense--the cut off date for the deal was Sept 30. The first paragraph of the article:

Quote:

As promised, Apple on Friday launched its iPhone 4 Case Program, granting free cases to customers who buy a phone through Sept. 30, and refunding those who already bought a protective "bumper" through an iPhone application.

• Reply 73 of 76
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Doesn't make sense--the cut off date for the deal was Sept 30. The first paragraph of the article:

But on apple's site talking about the deal, it clearly says

Quote:

For iPhone 4 purchases made before July 23, 2010, you must apply no later than August 22, 2010; otherwise, you must apply within 30 days of your iPhone 4 purchase. To qualify for this program, you must purchase your iPhone 4 by September 30, 2010.

sorry, dude. My case came yesterday--I'm very happy with it!
  • Reply 74 of 76
    I went with a Net Style Case for iPhone 4 from SourcingMap. It is a great case, protecting the the back of the phone as well as the perimeter. i am really happy with it. As Apple launches its free case program http://www.apple.com/iphone/case-program/ , i have ordered an incase case through the app, hoping it reaches in 7 days. The only concern is that this is the first time i use the case from the brand, I am not sure if it is a good case or not.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    So what's the update on what will happen AFTER Sept. 30? I still think they are going to release the iPhone 4.1 in black AND white with some sort of hardware fix.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    Great content and very helpful thank and keep up the good work.

Thanks a lot for the information