Rumors of 7-inch iPad persist; Apple parts with developer of tablets

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    500 grams is still a ton (figuratively speaking).
  • Reply 22 of 71
    A 7 Inch iPad is definitely needed.

I am strongly considering buying an Archos 7 tablet (Android based, pretty much the only Android tablet out there). I would be buying it now if it weren't for it being Android 1.5 and for Archos screwing up the Android Marketplace (you have to hack it to get access to the real Google version).

the iPad is 9 inches....why not just buy a netbook when it's so big? For $500 or less you can get a high-end netbook with a dual core Athlon Neo, way more powerful than the cell phone processor in the iPad. Then you can do stuff like...access the file system and use a real version of Office or try to do something worthwhile.

Or get this....have a USB port! or an HDMI port!

I love the iPad's interface, it's great. iOS is really slick and user friendly. Problem is with the app store and the low quality of Apps you can't really do anything with the damn thing. In the Apple store I was struggling to figure out something to do with the iPad.

This thing is as big as a regular netbook computer but I can't do nearly as much with it. The web browser is good for a phone but not for a tablet!.

I don't LIKE using flash but I HAVE to because so many sites on the internet depend on it. It's an acceptable omission for a PHONE but not for a 9 inch tablet plus the huge bezel space required for a large touch screen tablet!

You can't use YTMND on an iPad. There ya go. Ruined my purchase. Sorry if Adobe is being a dick about it but http://blog.theflashblog.com/?p=1703 I NEED FLASH TO USE THE WEB!
  • Reply 23 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

What I want to know is if the 7-inch model would be replacing the existing iPad or just supplementing it. If it's a replacement that's one thing, and makes plenty of sense even though I'd be a bit ticked off about the decreased size (but increased resolution might be very nice if a 7-inch screen means they can reach Retina Screen resolution or 720p or something).

Because if it's SUPPLEMENTING the existing iPad, presumably at a cheaper price point, then Apple's pricing system, between the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and iPad Lite (?) is going to start getting seriously crowded around the $299-$499 area. Probably TOO crowded.

You've pointed out one of the main reasons why rumours of a seven inch iPad are unlikely to be true.

Apple is already testing next year's products and only one of them is an "iProd 2.1" This strongly suggests that there is only one new model of iPad in testing right now. Given that possibly the stupidest move in the history of the universe would be to follow up on the monumentally well-received iPad by replacing it with a completely different 7 inch model, it's unlikely to happen. It seems likely that next years iPad will be the same size as this years.

Personally, I think that the 7" form factor is best for mobile pros that want to get actual work done, so Apple will be making a rather big mistake not at least trying out this size, but it doesn't look like next year is it.

I would like to see an "iPhone/iPad Pro," that looks more like the iPhone 4 than the iPad, with a stylus. As a "pro" device, it would expect it to cost *more* than the iPad even though it would be smaller. I think Apple is nutty-foo-foo not to get into the 7inch tablets, and since there are already three in the works from competitors, ... well this could be a chink in their armour sort of speak.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    i'm sure apple made numerous prototypes before releasing the iPad. they probably exhausted the possibilites. the current 9.7" screen is just big enough to hold a regular web page in landscape orientation. a 7" inch screen would be too big to pocket and not quite big enough to show a normal web page. i just don't see it until almost every major website has a m (mobile) version.

what might be interesting would be a 4.5 inch ipod touch (that extra inch means it's still pocket-able. i think it would make touching hyperlinks just that little bit easier compared to iphone's/ipod touch's 3.5" screen...
  • Reply 25 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Now they're REALLY small.

It's very possible that they were under contract with Apple but not being used.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I still don't buy the 7" rumour. Not yet anyway.

Neither do I. I'll believe it when it ships.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Maybe Apple should just buy SurfaceInk..

No need for it. They sound like a straight ahead ID (industrial design) outfit.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I may actually prefer a smaller 7inch tablet. I am not sure, I would need to hold it in my hands, but the smaller sized kindle feels pretty nice in the hand and I think it might be the same with the iPad. Of course smaller screen might make it a bit harder to use with a reduced screen real estate (especially for iwork). We'll see right now I am focused on new iPods.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

More likely to see slightly larger iPod Touch than smaller iPad.

[once the iPod Touch specs are bumped next week] other than screen size, what are the differences in features between these two devices?

3.5", 7.0", 9.7", same OS, same feature sets, some models with Cellular data, some only WiFi.

iPod, iPad... iPud?
  • Reply 30 of 71
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Can any of the developers here comment on when all the different options/screen sizes/resolutions starts to become a pain in the tits from a development standpoint?

I believe that there is not too much difficulty in porting from iPhone 4 to iPad (or vice versa) since the resolutions are the same (have I got that right), but if another screen size comes in, does it start to be a bother?

Also, when will developing for the older iPhone hardware cease to be worthwhile?

Currently there are three resolutions to deal with: iPad at 768x1024, iPhone/iPod Touch at 320x480, and iPhone4 at 640x960. Since the iPhone4 is exactly double the resolution of the previous models, it's very simple to deal with both of those. All a developer has to do is supply two resolutions of each graphic and iOS4 handles the job of choosing which one to display.

With the iPad, not only is the resolution different, the dots per inch is vastly different. A button that is sized correctly on the original iPhone will be way too small on the iPad display. In addition, new interface elements were added for the iPad. Program logic and code don't need to be changed, but the user interface requires an entirely separate approach between the two targets.

If a 7" tablet had the same 640x960 resolution as the iPhone4 it would probably look OK running the exact same iPhone apps. If it had iPad 768x1024 resolution, some of a current iPad apps' interface elements might be a little too small to be used as is. A 7" display at iPad resolution might not sound that much smaller, but it's actually only about 50% of the screen real estate of the 9.7" iPad.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's very possible that they were under contract with Apple but not being used.

Being small, it is likely they used ideas from their work with Apple to design and build prototypes of what they will offer to Apple competitors. An NDA would not protect Apple, and there is no lawsuit against them that Apple could pursue that would compensate Apple for loss of the competitive advantage they have against others companies capable of competing with Apple's product lines.

In addition, this small company would be a lawsuit against Apple waiting to happen. All they would need to say is "Apple stole our idea and we want a large bite of the action". Staying with this company is all downside for Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Seriousness of purpose is the first step to being a competitor. If you're not serious, stay off the field.

May be the purpose is different? Or is it the degree of seriousness?
  • Reply 33 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Currently there are three resolutions to deal with: iPad at 768x1024, iPhone/iPod Touch at 320x480, and iPhone4 at 640x960. Since the iPhone4 is exactly double the resolution of the previous models, it's very simple to deal with both of those. All a developer has to do is supply two resolutions of each graphic and iOS4 handles the job of choosing which one to display.

With the iPad, not only is the resolution different, the dots per inch is vastly different. A button that is sized correctly on the original iPhone will be way too small on the iPad display. In addition, new interface elements were added for the iPad. Program logic and code don't need to be changed, but the user interface requires an entirely separate approach between the two targets.

If a 7" tablet had the same 640x960 resolution as the iPhone4 it would probably look OK running the exact same iPhone apps. If it had iPad 768x1024 resolution, some of a current iPad apps' interface elements might be a little too small to be used as is. A 7" display at iPad resolution might not sound that much smaller, but it's actually only about 50% of the screen real estate of the 9.7" iPad.

I?m always surprised that these rumours can appear without any mention of Apple?s attention to detail regarding the UI which, history serves, mean a new UI and SDK for a 7? tablet.

OK simply doesn?t cut it for Apple, nor should it for any company that is in control of the HW and SW.

I simply don?t see any way this could happen without a new SDK to go along with it and while the iPad?s popularity and inability to get enough 10? panels may be pushing them to release a smaller device faster than expected, I don?t think they will. I think it would make more sense to get another vendor making 10? IPS displays and to saturate the 10? iPad market without confusing the customer.

PS: You didn?t mention it but I?ve read it elsewhere, people are expecting the next iPad to be a ?Retina Display?. That can?t happen with the relatively simple doubling of the pixel density that they did in the iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 71
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

More likely to see slightly larger iPod Touch than smaller iPad.

And the difference would be?
  • Reply 35 of 71
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m always surprised that these rumours can appear without any mention of Apple?s attention to detail regarding the UI which, history serves, mean a new UI and SDK for a 7? tablet.

OK simply doesn?t cut it for Apple, nor should it for any company that is in control of the HW and SW.

I simply don?t see any way this could happen without a new SDK to go along with it and while the iPad?s popularity and inability to get enough 10? panels may be pushing them to release a smaller device faster than expected, I don?t think they will. I think it would make more sense to get another vendor making 10? IPS displays and to saturate the 10? iPad market without confusing the customer.

PS: You didn?t mention it but I?ve read it elsewhere, people are expecting the next iPad to be a ?Retina Display?. That can?t happen with the relatively simple doubling of the pixel density that they did in the iPhone.

Exactly right. 1536x2048 display? How much would that cost? Is there even such a thing?

And I also agree with you that either blowing up the iPhone app or shrinking down the iPad app would be less than optimal and un-Apple like. Would developers really want to deal with four different flavors of their apps?
  • Reply 36 of 71
    Where is my 17" iPad Pro?!
  • Reply 37 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

It's just a medium-sized iPod Touch

LOL! And you know they could drop the iPad name and have iPod Touch and iPod Touch Pro in 3 sizes even! 7 inch 10 inch and 13 inch LOL
  • Reply 38 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I still think it's a year away. It's too soon after the original iPad was released. Apple will milk the current model for all it's worth, including selling to those who would prefer a smaller version. Then they'll release a smaller version and get those people to buy again.

Apple has been on a one-year refresh cycle with the iPhone and iPods for the last few years, and I expect they'll do the same with the iPad. That would mean an iPad refresh in April 2011. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Apple release the smaller version at that time.

Remember: Apple replaced the iPod mini with the nano when the mini was growing market share like crazy. Apple isn't scared to push the market.

Quote:

I also don't think it will happen until after the iPhone is released on other carriers in the US. That will diminish the importance of the iPod touch since you'll be able to get an iPhone on your preferred carrier, allowing Apple to use a smaller screen. Then the touch will settle down into a slightly lower tier than currently making room for a 7 inch iPad.

I don't understand that. Assuming a 7-inch iPad would have a bigger margin than a touch, Apple would rather bring out the 7-inch iPad and let it cannibalize the less-profitable touch. Bringing the iPhone to another carrier will definitely cannibalize the touch, but that's by design.

Also, I think the touch is mostly a transitional product until the iPhone is available on all of the carriers two or three years from now.

Quote:

I picture a year from now:

- shuffle with a tiny touch screen for controls (this coming next month)

- the touch with a smaller screen takes position where the nano is now (next year's revision, this year will be the same size as the iPhone)

- the nano becomes the high-capacity iPod with old school controls, like today's hard drive based classic which will be discontinued next month, keep the dated (ie, inexpensive) design to be able to up the capacity with more flash

- 7" iPad mini

- 9.7" iPad

Agreed on all of that.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I may actually prefer a smaller 7inch tablet. I am not sure, I would need to hold it in my hands, but the smaller sized kindle feels pretty nice in the hand and I think it might be the same with the iPad. Of course smaller screen might make it a bit harder to use with a reduced screen real estate (especially for iwork). We'll see right now I am focused on new iPods.

I'm waiting for a slightly smaller iPad. I want to use it a lot for reading, and I have found the iPad to be slightly too broad and slightly too heavy to hold comfortably like a book.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unknownz View Post

Where is my 17" iPad Pro?!

And I want ice cream! Ice cream!