Apple posts iPad iOS 4.2 "Coming Soon" page

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

As long as you're not trying to check both simultaneously from the same device, which would be impressive, then that shouldn't be a problem. Make your wife an account on your phone. Problem solved. That's one 'basic feature' that has been around since launch. I have several accounts for work on 1 phone that use the same server. Never had a problem.

It doesn't Effin work!!!

I cannot create ANY POP3 account on the iPad. The only way I can get email to work properly is by synching my email account info from iTunes. And I've triple checked that all the settings are the same as in Mail on OS X. Ok, so I'll just do the same with the wife's account right? Nope. "The information on the iPad ... is synched with another user account. Do you want to synch this iPad with the information from this user account instead?"

Bloody POS! About ready to toss it through the window.
  • Reply 102 of 109
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's been a long weekend of trolling. I do wish we could get people to use the ignore function. When you do that, you can scroll through some of the threads from the last few days and notice that they're at least 50% trolling bullshit and another 20-30% angry rebuttals.

Which means some reasonably interesting topics are getting completely swamped out, with no real discussion possible. Shame.

Ok, I'll give it try. Better for blood pressure anyway.
  • Reply 103 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

I cannot create ANY POP3 account on the iPad.

There's your problem. This is not normal. You either have a defective iPad or you're doing something wrong. Is you iPad on the same wireless network? Does your wireless network allow multiple logins? It's entirely possible the mail settings on your iPad are the same as those on your Mac, but are still the wrong settings for the iPad.
  • Reply 104 of 109
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Perhaps you should consider those of us who actually take our ipads away from the sofa and travel with it. It's a complete pain to print when you can't configure a network.

I don't dismiss the need for a USB port, such a port would make the current iPad compatible with FaceTime for example. The problem is we have not seen Apples printing solution for iOS yet. They might actually require a print server of some sort to reduce the need for printer drivers on the iPad. That is they could default to using PDF as the document format and transfer that to whatever printer might be open on the network. That would greatly reduce the need for drivers on the iOS device itself thus saving RAM and Flash space. The fact that there are many ways to approach this means that we can't be 100% sure that it will be liked by everybody.

It is the question of drivers that makes the use of USB printers a big question in my mind, especially on a portable device. Maybe somebody with SDK access can comment but, I'd be surprised if printing support will come in the usual way. The reality is that when traveling you have no idea what printer you might be connecting to, so the problem isn't much different than the issues you have with networks.

Dave
  • Reply 105 of 109
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Cut and Paste too. You would have thought it was some sort of innovation instead of a standard feature to listen to the hype.

Its not about the feature, its the implementation. And the hype had substance to it. Cut/Paste as implemented on other mobile platforms simply don't reach the standard that UIKits does.
  • Reply 106 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

November is too late

For what?
  • Reply 107 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

There's your problem. This is not normal. You either have a defective iPad or you're doing something wrong. Is you iPad on the same wireless network? Does your wireless network allow multiple logins? It's entirely possible the mail settings on your iPad are the same as those on your Mac, but are still the wrong settings for the iPad.

Ok, so I got it working. I did exactly the same thing I did before except that this time it allowed me to create the accounts. Bizarre. Still pissed off however
  • Reply 108 of 109
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

You wouldn't need wireless printing if the iPad had a USB port.

Gotta love Apple. Leave a key feature off of a device and then make a big deal when they give it to you months later. Reminds me of when they left the mail app off of the first iPod touch and then charged me ten bucks to download it months later.

Why keep pining for an actual USB port when you can accomplish the same thing through the dock port with an adapter?

Not enough people are going to use USB with an iPad to justify complicating the design process. For the rest of you, get the adapter.

Thompson
  • Reply 109 of 109
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Instead, he is complaining about basic features that every device has or should have. That is what you are missing.

Indeed, he is complaining about the lack of a USB port, and he is implying that it is a basic feature that every device SHOULD have. For the record, I disagree. Here's my stance: not every device should have a USB port. And iPad is one of those that SHOULDN'T.

But, let's take the discussion to a more subjective level. Leaving aside the concept of "should" or "shouldn't", customers will vote with their wallets. If the iPad sells well without a USB port (and the evidence suggests that it is) then there is room in the market for such a device. All of this blather about "should" or "shouldn't" becomes moot. We find out as we move forward. Apple is gambling one way, and they will either win or lose that gamble.

(FWIW, my money is on Apple to win, not Blackintosh.)

Thompson