Survey reveals over 40 million iOS gamers in the US

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Not surprising. I'm buying the new Touch mainly for gaming, nuff said.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Not long ago many mocked any suggestion that Apple was entering the gaming market as a serious contender. It seems Apple aren't doing too badly! Yet another industry Apple enters late and dramatically shakes up.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not long ago many mocked any suggestion that Apple was entering the gaming market as a serious contender. It seems Apple aren't doing too badly! Yet another industry Apple enters late and dramatically shakes up.

I know but... even if you win the whole market, meh. It's just little games in your pocket. But desktop computers, they are something serious. Real people do real work on them, curing disease and such. It's just hard to get enthusiastic about winning the mobile gaming market.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    We wholesle many styles of <a href=" http://blog.bodybuilding.com/">bodybuilding</a>.They are very comfotable and easy to macth with all kinds of clothes.

We wholesle many styles of <a href= http://blog.bodybuilding.com/>bodybuilding</a>.They are very comfotable and easy to macth with all kinds of clothes.

bodybuilding are very suitable for men who like doing sport.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I know but... even if you win the whole market, meh. It's just little games in your pocket. But desktop computers, they are something serious. Real people do real work on them, curing disease and such. It's just hard to get enthusiastic about winning the mobile gaming market.

As a user of pro Macs and pro apps I agree to some extent. However as a share holder I am thrilled to see this. You could same the same about phones too but it is all part of a greater eco system. Unlike many though I don't see Apple dropping the ball on the pro end and don't fear of OS X, on the contrary in fact, I see it getting better in the future.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

This article is pretty misleading - lots of empty statistics.

41 million Nintendo owners

40 million iOS "gamers"

19 million PSP owners

77 million mobile gamers.

We know that everyone who uses a Nintendo or PSP is spending most of their time gaming, but are the 40 million iOS gamers just people who have bought and/or installed a game on their iPhone or iPod? The above equation seems to imply that a lot of iOS users must also own Nintendos or PSPs (maybe they bought the iPhone for themself and the Nintendo for the kid, in which case there are acutally 100 million "mobile gamers" out there? And there are a lot of families where the kids share the Nintendo, but comparatively few couples who share a mobile phone..,.

Does the fact that my Nokia (and every nokia) came with "Worms" and "Solitaire" on it make me a Symbian "gamer"? Because Nokia sold 81 million units in the US last year, and every single one of their phones comes with a game, and i'd say just about everyone who has a Nokia has played it at least once...

This is basically just some marketing by Apple to get headlines and try and drive stock prices up via the media. The fanboys sure seem to be gobbling it up, though... This thread has it's tongue pretty far up Steve Jobs' ass

So just to keep the playing field level and the refs honest - do you really expect to argue the stats when you give such pathetic examples yourself? Olli - you need to move on and get yourself another corporate CEO job and stop posting on AI threads! LOL!! It is a frequent and enduring given that you take such statistics with a grain of salt unless you are an enthusiast, or conversely extremely bitter and insecure. Just curious which category are you Superbass?
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

This article is pretty misleading - lots of empty statistics.

41 million Nintendo owners

40 million iOS "gamers"

19 million PSP owners

77 million mobile gamers.

We know that everyone who uses a Nintendo or PSP is spending most of their time gaming, but are the 40 million iOS gamers just people who have bought and/or installed a game on their iPhone or iPod? The above equation seems to imply that a lot of iOS users must also own Nintendos or PSPs (maybe they bought the iPhone for themself and the Nintendo for the kid, in which case there are acutally 100 million "mobile gamers" out there? And there are a lot of families where the kids share the Nintendo, but comparatively few couples who share a mobile phone..,.

Does the fact that my Nokia (and every nokia) came with "Worms" and "Solitaire" on it make me a Symbian "gamer"? Because Nokia sold 81 million units in the US last year, and every single one of their phones comes with a game, and i'd say just about everyone who has a Nokia has played it at least once...

This is basically just some marketing by Apple to get headlines and try and drive stock prices up via the media. The fanboys sure seem to be gobbling it up, though... This thread has it's tongue pretty far up Steve Jobs' ass

These studies always skew the facts, Apple is nowhere close to touching Nintendo in reality. Having a ton of titles =/= supremacy. I have tons of games on my iPod...i've only paid for Angry Birds. I wonder how many people are shelling out money for these titles since Apple is quick to point out they have the lionshare of them.

All the while, Nintendo has pushed out extremely high caliber, high selling games that make more money than all of Apples App Store combined...

1. Nintendogs All versions (23.26 million)

2. New Super Mario Bros. (22.49 million)

3. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (18.72 million)

4. Mario Kart DS (17.90 million)

5. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (17.39 million)

6. Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day! (13.71 million)

7. Animal Crossing: Wild World (10.79 million)

8. Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver (8.4 million)

9. Super Mario 64 DS (7.5 million)

10. Pokémon Platinum (7.06 million)

Total Nintendo DS games sold as of March 31, 2010: 718.50 million.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    If apple continues to push the graphics capabilities of the device and the developers keep coming out with games like that tech demo of the castle fighting game (the name escapes me right now) I think there will be no contest between the devices. iPods/Phones can do way more in addition to gaming then DS or even PSP in its current state. Plus, at least in my view, iDevices look much better.