Nokia unveils N8 smartphone, chairman to leave in 2012

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Nothing beats a good megapixel! You get an impressive-sounding buzzword, worse quality photos (more MP = higher noise) and as a bonus, tons of wasted storage space

Quote:

For sensors of comparable types, the signal-to-noise ratio and dynamic range improve as the size increases.

cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor
  • Reply 62 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Therefore, if the company does not seem to make products you like, why the hell are you still here? Geez man, I'm getting sick of you polluting every single bloody thread.

Would like to mention I have retracted this post. Reason: language and personal attack.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

What is Microsoft's ace-in-the-whole? What can WP7 do that no other smartphone can do? There are two I can think of:

1. Gaming Microsoft's XBox Live integration is exclusive to WP7.

2. Business. WP7 includes unparalleled enterprise features, including top-notch Exchange, Office, and Outlook support, enhancing productivity away from the home and office.

From there, Microsoft has a chance to make real inroads on Android and iPhone.

I am not sure that Microsoft are culturally up to the task of delivering a simple message.

I think the first mistake is calling this Windows Phone 7.

Why Windows?

The phone UI certainly does not resemble Windows. There are not even windows used in the UI.

The Windows brand.

So why did they select a brand that most people associate with a desktop PC OS?

I think probably because Microsoft's other brands are too weak. Hotmail, Messenger, Zune are not strong. XBox is a strong brand but not right for a consumer phone. Office would make the device work-oriented and therefore dull. A Bing phone perhaps?

Really Microsoft should have created an all-new brand for this device - and tie that brand to the values and benefits of this product. But instead they fell-back on Windows. Microsoft are just bad at this stuff, and reveal a corporate lack of confidence when it comes to creating and communicating new products.

I'll be very interested in what a half-billion dollar campaign looks like. But as you say, without a simple core message, the money could be wasted.

C.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I think the first mistake is calling this Windows Phone 7.

Why Windows?

The phone UI certainly does not resemble Windows. There are not even windows used in the UI.

The Windows brand.

So why did they select a brand that most people associate with a desktop PC OS?

Perhaps because people know what Windows is. The vast majority of people know and trust Windows, especially the new Windows 7 OS. If they tried to market this phone as a new brand, they'd need a ton more cash and advertising to make that name ubiquitous. That is one of the basic facts of marketing. "Windows" is already ubiquitous in some form. It's a lot more ubiquitous than "Bing", at least at this point. So call the new phone, "Windows Phone 7", and people will instantly know what you're talking about. Say Microsoft's phone is called, "Bing Phone". You tell people that name, and a lot of people would ask, "What's that?", because they wouldn't know what Bing is.

Quote:

XBox is a strong brand but not right for a consumer phone.

For the general consumer? Perhaps not. But a lot of people are using their smartphones to play games. iOS has been a successful gaming platform. Why can't Microsoft offer Apple a little competition?

Quote:

Office would make the device work-oriented and therefore dull.

Dull? Perhaps. But Microsoft makes a ton of money every year on Office. Couldn't "Office on a phone" sell a lot of phones? Wouldn't the idea of switching between serious work and serious play, on the same device, sound awfully compelling?

If you're looking for an exciting "do-it-all" phone platform, WP7 isn't it, yet. There aren't enough features in there which people take for granted. Until those features are there, Microsoft will have to market WP7 as a specialized type of phone, unfortunately. If they try to bite off more than they can chew, then that's self-evident.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    Quote:

Perhaps because people know what Windows is.

They know what it is. It isn't a phone. It's an operating system for desktop computers. The extent to which is trusted can left to the reader.

To glue the Windows name on a Phone is as strange as Sony badging and alarm-clock with Playstation. Or Apple calling a computer iPod.

Quote:

Say Microsoft's phone is called, "Bing Phone". You tell people that name, and a lot of people would ask, "What's that?", because they wouldn't know what Bing is.

Quite. That's partly my point. Microsoft has consistently been unable to create consistent brands which consumers understand. In Europe, the top instant messenger service is Microsoft's. But everyone still calls it MSN - even though Microsoft have abandoned that term.

They just don't seem to get this stuff. Which in a company of their size and importance is very odd.

Quote:

Dull? Perhaps. If you're looking for an exciting "do-it-all" phone platform, WP7 isn't it, yet.

As they say, that could be a problem.

C.