RIM could unveil its answer to Apple's iPad next week

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron;

But everything else is better widescreen. Like websites and videos, which seems to me to be the uses I'd want to work best.

Videos would be better widescreen. But website browsing on landscape mode on iPad is just nice, I think.
  • Reply 62 of 144
    Quote:

They will write once and be able to compile for all the popular platforms. Seemingly, Apple will be included now that they have revised their submission guidelines.

Interesting, I was not aware that developers had stopped writing for iOS, and are only now starting to include Apple.
  • Reply 63 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

People, and especially tech people, get way too obsessed with specs. Consumers want to know what it does on the screen, not behind it.

Ever go to a Best Buy or Apple store and watch people use the iPads? Nine times out of ten they are playing games. They know it will surf the web, but they can do that on their computers, they want to know what the thing does that they can't do now.

Apps are what sells the iPad, and other manufacturers can bring out tablets with better specs, but it won't really matter much if it's only sales point is that it has ports, a hard drive or a faster processor -- those things count on laptops.

Because of this, I think the way to go is to build in streaming and other media capabilities right into the tablet -- don't depend on the developers because they are busy building for iOS (and Android).

Very good points. Several people (including a Google rep) have said that Android apps won't scale properly (will look "ugly") on most tablets -- not just size but aspect ratio. Apparently this was one of the reasons that Samsung chose to skin their new tablet and provide their version of basic apps.

There are conflicting stories whether Android Market will be available to tablets.

As to streaming and media playing -- Apple has provided both: built-in function and APIs for the developers.

Apparently there is a pent-up demand for tablets in hospitals, medical facilities, etc. It appears that several companies are targeting 7" tablets for this use. I would think the larger screen iPad would be a superior solution.

• Reply 64 of 144
    Quote:

Don't forget that Blackberries outsell iPhones by a huge margin.

I wonder if that is relevant to Blackpad. Apple still has the highest profit margins in the smartphone industry.

There may be many Blackberry users and units out there, it remains to be seen if they will be able to run their apps on the Blackpad, and what apps will be out for the Blackpad.
  • Reply 65 of 144
    Quote:

I didn't follow that. What struggle did they have?

I think RIM touchscreen models were not as popular as they anticipated.
  • Reply 66 of 144
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

But everything else is better widescreen. Like websites and videos, which seems to me to be the uses I'd want to work best.

Wrong. There are good reasons why books and magazines aren't printed landscape.
  • Reply 67 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I wonder if that is relevant to Blackpad. Apple still has the highest profit margins in the smartphone industry.

There may be many Blackberry users and units out there, I wonder if they will be able to run their apps on the Blackpad, and what apps will be out for the Blackpad.

It is interesting to remember the rumors from 9 months back-- just before the iPad was announced.

1) A lot of people (including me) expected a 7" diagonal screen.

2) The consensus was that price would be $1,000 -- anything above that wouldn't sell.

3) If it didn't run a "proper OS", OS X, it would fail.

4) They wouldn't be so stupid as to call it an "iPad".

5) The market for an Apple tablet was .5 - 1 million units in CY 2010.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong!

Looks like the only thing we got right was that it would be an Apple Tablet.
  • Reply 68 of 144
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

What are you 10 years old?

What? Are you a faking moron? Or maybe middle-aged, bitter and grumpy. People post "1st post" posts on FORUMS all the time. Sometimes the posts are even funny. Grab a life. Move on...
  • Reply 69 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I didn't follow that. What struggle did they have?

The Storm was the first RIM phone to address the perceived threat by the Apple iPhone (and later the Android phones) where RIM made their physical interface depart fully from the tried and true keyboard/scrollball pointer interface. Neither Storm I nor Storm II had a full keyboard or pointing interface. RIM tried to throw their user base completely into a full touch interface with no transition. Reviews were mixed at best and they were among the poorest performing in the Blackberry lineup from a user purchasing/use report perspective. Another downside to the Storms was the BlackBerry operating system. The applications often hadn't been optimized for touch interaction, making clicking problematic. Also like the Palm series, the Storms' screens depressed when you tapped or typed on them which many users disliked. The result was abysmal consumer uptake.

The recent Torch model was RIM's attempt to find a middle ground for it's user base. By including a slide-out keyboard, dropping the physically clickable screen, and adding a touchpad pointer they addressed the key objections to the physical interface. With the update to Backberry 6, they addressed most of the issues around the touch interface for the apps, updated the media browser, switched to a Webkit internet browser, updated the touch interface itself with trays and notification, but still doesn't have Flash supported.
  • Reply 70 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Are you 100 years old?

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
  • Reply 71 of 144
    blackpad?

i'll stick with my honkey-cracker iPad.
  • Reply 72 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum;

It is interesting to remember the rumors from 9 months back-- just before the iPad was announced.

1) A lot of people (including me) expected a 7" diagonal screen.

2) The consensus was that price would be $1,000 -- anything above that wouldn't sell.

3) If it didn't run a "proper OS", OS X, it would fail.

4) They wouldn't be so stupid as to call it an "iPad".

5) The market for an Apple tablet was .5 - 1 million units in CY 2010.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong!

Looks like the only thing we got right was that it would be an Apple Tablet.

To be honest, I was like, okay, iPad... Kinda weird, bezel is too big, interesting price point, but how will 3G models do reception-wise and compatibility with telcos? Then after using one, heh, it all falls into place.

iPhone 4 though.... I'm on the fence about. Where I am it is a 2 year contract on one of the two major telcos carrying it. Was hoping for one year contracts to be available.

The Blackpad will have its work cut out for it. At this stage, BB phones may very likely continue to sell well but Apple just has to make more iPhone 4 and iPad to keep up with demand.
  • Reply 73 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!

Haha. Post of the day.
  • Reply 74 of 144
    ...that smaller, cheaper variants of a given form factor will generally always have a valid segment of the market. Given that Apple has taken the risk, and produced a "cross-over" device benchmark in the iPad, with demonstrated consumer popularity, the other device makers will inevitably produce similar products to try and capture part of the segment.

We need to remember however that Apple is not looking to capture a given market, they want to leverage that market to drive their entire ecosystem. OSX is that ecosystem, with the traditional computing (MacOSX) and lightweight computing (iOS) branches, providing the underlying feature set for advancing the hardware part of ecosystem. You can't separate out the individual components to compare them to other hardware or software. They are designed and implemented to be part of a contiguous whole from the start. So comparing RIM and Nokia to Apple is more relevant (for example) than comparing Microsoft or Android, which are wholly different approaches and leave the OS/software and physical interfaces to develop independently.
  • Reply 75 of 144
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I think they should have named it the padberry.
  • Reply 76 of 144
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    So I assume the mental 13-year-olds who got their rocks off mocking the iPad name are equally busy doing the same for this thing?

Oh yeah, its only Apple gets that reaction.
  • Reply 77 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I think they should have named it the padberry.

Actually, I prefer BerryPatch... really!

Edit: On second thought BriarPatch is even better!

• Reply 78 of 144
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Why so defensive? Nobody said anything about an "iPad killer." Do you simply expect all companies to sit back and say, "Well, the iPad dominates the tablet market. Let's not try to get a share of that"? What if Apple had said, "Windows dominates the PC market. Let's forget this Mac garbage. We'll never beat them"?

Google 'blackpad iPad killer' and you already get 68,500 hits.

I hate the phrase not because of any real threat, but because its just such lazy journalism.
  • Reply 79 of 144

For those of us that follow such things, another couple of milestones have been reached-- one earlier today.

AAPL surpasses MSFT market value by $50 Billion.

AAPL market value is 1,135% of DELL market value.

... maybe Apple should take part of that $42 Billion cash, buy Dell, liquidate it, and pay off the shareholders.

• Reply 80 of 144
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 0yvind View Post

I could. And I'm quite shure Apple is preparing one, like a smaller & lighter "iPad Nano" or expanded "Touch".

What I'd be very unshure of, however, is buying a gadget like this new Blacpad with a totally new and unproven operating system, made by a third party they've aquired (if the reports are correct). It will be interesting to see how this is going to work together with their old blacberry apps and environment. Or maybe they opt for a total, fresh "restart"?

QNX has been around a very long time, and has had a very respectable reputation. I would not dismiss them based on the RIM purchase. Oh speaking as a 3G owner that tried to run 4.0 on his iPhone, Apple would be able to learn a thing or two from QNX.