Apple's iOS holds strong as Android's enterprise presence surges

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

128%

Or 126%? I guess the corporate market is bigger than I thought and growing.....

Or, maybe Apple has just made their own market that they own 111% of.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though it still carries more than double the corporate market presence of Apple's iOS, BlackBerry fell 3 percent -- from 69 percent to 66 percent -- between May 2010 and August 2010.

The survey also found evidence that even more change could be coming to the corporate smartphone market in the near future, as 35 percent of respondents said they plan to buy new smartphones next quarter.

These two factors are important. I combined them together, because for BlackBerry to remain strong in the enterprise field, there needs to be a compelling nudge to keep them on BlackBerry, in the face of iPhone/iPad, and Android.

Enter BlackPad. I've been reading about how some businesses are amazed at the iPad's capabilities, and are interested in deploying them businesswide. But then their IT departments would have to manage two different mobile OSes in their system. BlackPad would allow effective, iPad-like deployments of tablets into the field. It will also be easier to simply bolt on BlackPad to the current BlackBerry fleet, than do something else.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snookie View Post

Apple is not interested in the enterprise market. Never has been.

How exactly are they stagnating? Because to say that you would have to be completely unaware of Apple sales figures, profits, and market value.

I work in IT Security for a very large, very well know international company and have worked in IT security in the financial industry for years. This company and many others will never use Android for the same reason they won't use other Google products. They are highly insecure and Google monitors users activities and sells their data. But iPhones are taking off in a big way here and many other companies I know of. Well known companies that buy quality, not whatever half baked phone is selling cheap this week. So as usual Apple has the primo market and Android can have the rest. It's not like they are actually making much money from it plus the carriers are already raping Android. Once the iPhone is on other carriers you will see many more sold to corporations.

Sorry to say so, but I believe you are contradicting yourself slightly, first you say apple has no interrest in enterprice market, then you say that apple has the primo market compared to android. With the latter I can agree. but the first part is simply not true. Apple has put a lot of effort to satisfy all kind of requests coming particularly from enterprises. Most of them having to do with security, push notification, remote administration, etc.

Apple never would have gone through all this trouble if they would not be interrested in enterprises. To conclude I think they did very well, considering that before iPhone OS2, there was no competition against RIM. Now there is apple iOS4, presenting a highly competitive alternative. And RIM will have to wake up big time to keep it's leading position in enterprise markets.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

.. but more is not always better..

I agree with you. It seems to me that Apple focuses more on "better is better" than on "more is better." Regardless of how much attention Apple pays to market share and units sold, the underlying strategy appears to be build better products and build better user experience and "they will come."

Questions have been raised about Apple's quality control, but Apple's products do cost more to produce and the retail prices are higher than similar products. However, they do sell and they do have large margins.

It's a bit like "if you take care of the pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves." Apple makes things a lot of people want to have and use. Better is Better.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Android is doing much better in the Enterprise than I had thought it would under their loose conditions.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Android is doing much better in the Enterprise than I had thought it would under there loose conditions.

There are a lot of enterprise java devs that can do a simple enterprise android app...
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snookie View Post

This company and many others will never use Androi

From the story:

"Google's Android mobile operating system has seen a fivefold increase in availability in the corporate market over the last nine months,...

Android has gone from just a 3 percent availability in the corporate market in November 2009 to 16 percent in August 2010. From May 2010 to August 2010 alone, the presence of Google's operating system grew from 10 percent to 16 percent."

Trends indicate that your company may be atypical. Current headlines scream that Android Enterprise Presence is Surging.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Android is doing much better in the Enterprise than I had thought it would under there loose conditions.

I would take that statement with a grain of salt. When one goes from zero enterprise market penetration to something, it is always something to look at. Enterprises use everything that's out there so it is no surprise that some are interested in using Android devices.

What I would be worried about as a sysadmin is the wild-west nature of the Android ecosystem. Just like the PC-model it's based on, a user could arbitrarily download anything, including a malicious app and wreak havoc on the handheld, or worse yet, steal sensitive corporate data. I would not want these devices in my network. There is just no real secure walled-garden approach.

Of course, the typical trolls that have been infesting AI as of late will flame me and others for that position. Like it or not, having Apple controlling the ony real way to install software on iOS relieves a huge burden from internal IT folks in managing apps and worrying about rogue apps from entering the network.

I see how satisfied iOS users are with their devices and how they do not have to worry about issues that plague the PC industry and in an ever-increasing way, the Android ecosystem too. However, like the PC industry, there will be a whole new level of job-security for Android developers to stay on top of keeping their systems stable. Android OS may be free, but it'll cost more in the end. That cycle never ends. Corporate folks only see the price of admission, not how much it costs over its lifespan.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    We must keep in mind that this is for iOS in the enterprise, which includes iPod Touches as well as iPads, so it's really not a fair comparison to Android as the latter is only on handsets.

What's striking is that Android and iOS are the only ones to have gained share in the enterprise: iOS gained a mere 1% while Android surged 6%.

My corporation is slowly switching from Blackberry to Android devices. Our Chief Tech Officer just got a Droid X; others have gotten Droids, Droid 2s, and Incredibles. I speak with the CTO often and he says they're easy to manage on the network, unlike what some on this site say to the contrary.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdaddykane View Post

31% of an pie ever increasing in size isn't stagnating. It means total unit sales have gone up. Or are you the type of guy who thinks 50% of a million is better than 30% of 3 million?

He must be. More importantly, he must like a dozen handset manufacturers fighting over margin sales trying to compete with Apple versus Apple and it's margin sales.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Well, if your company's mobile phone contract is with Verizon or Sprint, you don't really have much of a choice, do you? Sure, they could still open it up to an iPhone if you go get one yourself. But at least at my company you have to chose from the providers available devices if you want the company to pay your monthly bill. Let's see these stats but only including companies who have ATT as their provider.

Yet another reason Apple needs to get a CDMA phone on the streets. Even if it doesn't make sense to the "CDMA is dead" crowd (I still laugh everytime someone says that), it's the right strategy for the long haul.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

These two factors are important. I combined them together, because for BlackBerry to remain strong in the enterprise field, there needs to be a compelling nudge to keep them on BlackBerry, in the face of iPhone/iPad, and Android.

Enter BlackPad. I've been reading about how some businesses are amazed at the iPad's capabilities, and are interested in deploying them businesswide. But then their IT departments would have to manage two different mobile OSes in their system. BlackPad would allow effective, iPad-like deployments of tablets into the field. It will also be easier to simply bolt on BlackPad to the current BlackBerry fleet, than do something else.

Blackpad likely won't use OS6 (and would be rubbish if it did [see QNX OS rumor]) so they will still have 2 platforms to support and no apps to use anyway. iPads like Macs basically support themselves. Saw an interesting internal video from Verisign how a couple of Mac-heads eventually convinced IT to let whatever engineers that wanted to, get a Mac. There are hundreds now apparently but they are self supporting via a social business community dedicated to Mac support. I have heard it is basically that way in many places that have "consumerized" their end-user compute choices.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

I expect Apple to continue to hold steady. The 'genius' of both iOS and Android is that they are mostly IT support free. Sure then environment needs to be ready for them.. but other than some server setup.. (a long weekend for any Exchange admin) almost every device is self provisioned with word spreading among those who know how to set it up (if a user can't do it themselves).

This is why RIM will keep bleeding out. Microsoft, as always, is late to the market.. and mirroring other successful players. (think about the Xbox mirroring the PS2)

So who wins? Well, this isn't a game for winning and losing. Blackberry obviously hemorrhages and eventually is relegated to 'ultra legacy-hood' (much like IBM mainframes)

Who eats their lunch? Apple? Google? Microsoft? Hardly. We do. The consumer eats their lunch and the market place makes just enough room for Palm and Microsoft to maintain 5-9% market share.. with the other 3 players each splitting the remainder. What that means for those of you who aren't good at math.. is that Apple is already bouncing off the technical ceiling in terms of market share in comparable products.

So next question.. where does Apple go from here?

Well obviously everyone is diversifying their device pool.. in hopes to carve up more micro-marketing groups.. (young teens, jetset business travelers, netbook replacements etc.) but those are all obvious moves... and nobody is doing those obvious moves more predictably then Google. Apple on the other hand is still tripping on how powerful their media empire is. The real question is.. who makes the next risky move? An advertising powered contract? An iAd that gives you cell minute? A Facebook App that lets you make wifi calls for free?

These are all game changers and the players and field are still being defined in a minute by minute hour by hour debate in board rooms at Apple, Microsoft, Google, and even RIM.

I expect the iOS platform to continue to crush the user experience on Droid.. why? Usability. But conversely I expect the power of Droid devices to continue to trounce iOS.

So next step? Well if you are Apple.. you keep making the iPad rock. You make it rock until everyone has one... they are good at this.. and unless they royally screw up.. they rock out with their iPad out.. and make everyone eat the digital dust well into next summer. They plug Facebooks holes and continue to push Ping/FaceTime and other 'draft' technologies into the mainstream.. then they bridge the desktop divide with a new iChat in their next OS release... giving Facetime via Email legs.

If you are Google, you pray that you can innovate in the network application space the way they did 4 years ago. If they don't get another 'bubble' brewing.. they are going to drown in their own kool-aid. It's all great to say more devices = more users.. but more is not always better.. free apps has to give way to a marketplace which is sustainable.. and that marketplace is going to only get more twisted as the line between content, application, and service are all blurred. Google has a lot of brand image repair to conduct.. because the tech crowd doesn't always drive mass opinion.. they'd just like to think they do.

Go ask an 9 year old what they want. It isn't droid. Go ask a 15 y/o what they want.. still isn't droid. See? You can't just play the marketplace as if you can force adoption from the top down.. it takes battling on all fronts just to make a dent. (hence the ceiling over Apple until iPad is everywhere)

iDunno.. it's a fun match to watch.. but I think Apple is making their position stronger and stronger all the time while Droid is getting bigger.. but thinner.. less meat and potatoes and more 'good enough'. Whatever it takes to get to market... This reminds me of all the quick to market iPhone wanna-bes that popped up.. and then died. It's the same game again.. only with an OS.

We'll see how it pans out this Xmas. Survey says.. iPod touch and iPad carry the day.

Greta post! Please come by more often.

As far as next risky move.. I think Apple already have done this. iAd isn't a shot across Google's bow. Its a hand grenade thrown in their board room. If iAd gains traction, and that remains to be seen, that will put a hurt on Google.

I agree with you and think Andoid will diminish in importance over time. Already their partners are starting to stab them in the back. And exactly how does Android make Google money? (PS. Newtron that's a rhetorical question) Eventually Google are going to have to rethink their Android strategy.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdaddykane View Post

31% of an pie ever increasing in size isn't stagnating. It means total unit sales have gone up. Or are you the type of guy who thinks 50% of a million is better than 30% of 3 million?

They own 1/3 of the Enterprise and he's saying this sucks? Isn't he te one that keeps trying to tell us how poor the iPhone penetration is and how it's a toy that can't be used for any real work?
  • Reply 35 of 48
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

They own 1/3 of the Enterprise and he's saying this sucks? Isn't he te one that keeps trying to tell us how poor the iPhone penetration is and how it's a toy that can't be used for any real work?

Tekstud... I mean Newtron... I mean, whatever the hell alias he's using this time really is sounding like a paid shill. I think we found yet another person to tag as a court jester should the AI mods allow that ability some day.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Can't someone give the poor man a job?

He does have a job
  • Reply 37 of 48
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

He does have a job

Sorry. Can't someone give the poor man a job that doesn't involve making me want to tear my face off?
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Misleading at best. Corporations are usually locked in, unless they want to pay fines. Example in Jan our contract was up.

We really wanted the Droid and Verizon to replace our two year old Windows Mobile phones. However the Droid at the time did not support all of the activesync options, like remote wipe, etc. So we went with the iPhone, 3G at that.

Well 6 months or so later, Android 2.2 rolls out and now supports the full Active Sync options, like remote wipe. At the same time iOS 4.X comes out and now our users HATE their iPhone 3G.

Under ATT at one year our users can upgrade, and I doubt very much it will be iPhones, in fact it probably be a split between Android and Windows Phone 7.

Moral of the story as contracts expire, you could see a big shift.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Am I the only one that get's a little sad at how often Newtron is the first one to post in a new thread? I wish we could stop this. Can't someone give the poor man a job?

Nearly double in enterprise. Well with google pro apps and most of what mm can do for free is enticing to IT. Many companies are going for the cloud based rental server vs a server on premise. This is huge. When Google releases their OS, I think we are going to see a war and what drives me nuts is, all of us who kept Apple afloat with creative, they still haven't released a midrange i7 system monitor. Avid scooped upmaudio and Apple has yet to release USB 3 on all the new HDs while getting rid if the express slot.

At the same time, a fe years ago you could get 75-80% when selling a machine. Now yourlucky to get 50%. They have cannabilized their own product line. Really no matte, dvr, USB 3, midrange system, prices up not down, 1 to 1 trainers are iLife only, no blue trattoria. They need a facelift.

Rant rant. Over.

Blessings.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

<plonk>

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Apple could never really compete in the enterprise. Now it seems that they are stagnating, but with much larger penetration than they ever achieved with the Mac.