Apple exploring shrunken audio jacks to allow even smaller iPods

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Idiotic? Maybe. Anything but shortsighted though. Do you think the 1/8" headphone jack will persist into perpetuity? Eventually someone will need to change it to make it smaller for devices that don't have the size to spare.

I disagree. Electronics keep getting smaller so the device of the future need be little bigger than the size of its jack. By then the whole concept of using a wire to get sound from one place to another should be obsolete. It's really shocking that wireless headsets haven't reached the point where they're good enough to replace wired ones.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    [nevermind]
  • Reply 63 of 83
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I don't think "Apple Sux Tourette's" is much about making sense.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guytoronto View Post

Adapter? Something small and easy to lose? Very idiotic.

Proprietary? So I can't use MY headphones, I have to use Apple's? Very idiotic.

Anything that changes the standard 1/8" jack is idiotic and short sighted.

It doesn't change the 1/8" male plug. It only changes the the jack in Apple's equipment by changing the size and position of the contacts on the receving end. You can still use anyone's headphones with a standard jack.

Look at the diagrams provided. It makes it very clear.

This is actually a great idea and proves once again that Apple is always thinking out of the box about how to improve things.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zc456 View Post

They really need to stick with a design already. Especially with the Shuffle.

Why? The iPod touch hasn't changed much for 2/3 years - the shuffle and nanos are toys, it's fun to have a new one every year or so.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    man alive what is apple thinking making a proprietary audio jack - that'll never fly with the consumers
  • Reply 67 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

man alive what is apple thinking making a proprietary audio jack - that'll never fly with the consumers

hey - did you eve READ the story - it's not the plug - its the socket!
  • Reply 68 of 83
    Quote:

hey - did you eve READ the story - it's not the plug - its the socket!

Just figured we haven't had enough people who missed the point yet so I figured I'd add some more.

• Reply 69 of 83
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    It should have read:

In its continuous pursuit to create smaller, more compact devices, Apple is redesigning sh!t that doesn't need to be redesigned so you'll have to buy new sh!t to replace the perfectly good sh!t you already own, in order to buy the new sh!t you don't really need, but really want. They do this so hopefully, you'll buy from Apple the new sh!t you don't really need, or really want, to go with the other new sh!t you don't really need but do really want.

• Reply 70 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

It should have read:

In its continuous pursuit to create smaller, more compact devices, Apple is redesigning sh!t that doesn't need to be redesigned so you'll have to buy new sh!t to replace the perfectly good sh!t you already own, in order to buy the new sh!t you don't really need, but really want. They do this so hopefully, you'll buy from Apple the new sh!t you don't really need, or really want, to go with the other new sh!t you don't really need but do really want.

Oh the wisdom of your words - if only we had stopped back when the ENIAC was the only computer on the planet - that surely would have been utopia - or wait - perhaps we should put Charles Babbage in charge of all technological innovation from now on.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Oh the wisdom of your words - if only we had stopped back when the ENIAC was the only computer on the planet - that surely would have been utopia - or wait - perhaps we should put Charles Babbage in charge of all technological innovation from now on.

You do realize I was joking, right?

Still, I hardly see how making the already tiny jack, smaller on a device in which the device itself is so small now it's hard not to lose, as being the same as moving beyond the ENICAC. It's beginning to look like Jobs has some OCD-like compulsion to make everything as small as possible. It's like he has the electronic version of Body Dysmorphic Disorder or something.

I'd rather Apple put an FM tuner on all their iDevices, then waste time worrying about the size of a jack that's just fine the way it is. If they can put a radio in the Nano with the current jack, they can certainly put one on the touch. That would actually be useful. If they can work some magic to come up a with wireless version of headphones now used with players this size, that would be worth getting excited about.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

You do realize I was joking, right?

Still, I hardly see how making the already tiny jack, smaller on a device in which the device itself is so small now it's hard not to lose, as being the same as moving beyond the ENICAC. It's beginning to look like Jobs has some OCD-like compulsion to make everything as small as possible. It's like he has the electronic version of Body Dysmorphic Disorder or something.

I'd rather Apple put an FM tuner on all their iDevices, then waste time worrying about the size of a jack that's just fine the way it is. If they can put a radio in the Nano with the current jack, they can certainly put one on the touch. That would actually be useful. If they can work some magic to come up a with wireless version of headphones now used with players this size, that would be worth getting excited about.

By reducing the size of internal components, more room is available for new components. Your post started out so well, but you end up being as short sighted as the person you criticised.
  • Reply 73 of 83
    AI is going to have to start giving reading and comprehension tests before allowing people to post. TOO MANY ARE POSTING NONSENSE EITHER WITHOUT READING OR WORSE NOT UNDERSTANDING WHAT THE ARTICLE IS SAYING.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i guess it cuts down the volume of the connector by 1/2???
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The standard earbuds are not that great, but I've never found anything better than Apple's in-ear ones (which are also not that great).

My main trouble with the alternatives is they are all ugly as heck and basically made for teenage boys. Black with swishy silver bits, or silver with glowy chrome nonsense. The few that actually have good sound all have giant logos on them and silly "futuristic" styling. Why do these companies think that the same people who go for Apple's minimal stylishness would want crappy over-decorated junk like that is beyond me.

Serious audio folks use the over the ear full "cans" but then you have to use an adapter a lot of the time because the people that make the good ones are still stuck in the past and use those giant 80's style audio jacks.

And no-one makes a serious, high quality, stereo blue-tooth headset so we can ditch the wires altogether, which is jut mystifying to me. The very worse part of any iPod or iPhone is dealing with those tangled stupid wires, and yet no one has come up with a solution even though the technology has been around to do it for ages.

PS - You guys talking about adapters and such are not reading the article. The whole point of this invention is that it's a way to make the jack work in thinner devices, the jack would be the same standard size. Try to read more than just the title of the article next time, the title in this case is completely at odds with the facts contained therein.

To add: For serious audio folks, all headphones suck. They are physically incapable of delivering lower bass, even lower mid range frequencies. Everyone that complains about the sonic quality of "Apple's earbuds" is an absolute moron. Any time this comment comes up, its a flag that the idiot in question has no ability to judge/recognize audio quality.

If you like hearing mud, several manufacturers will sell you cheesy psycho-acoutical processes that reinforce the upper frequency harmonics of the low frequencies and layer it on top of the source. The other trick is have the headphone make contact with the bone and vibrate that, to fool you into thinking that you're really rocking. If cheap vibrations are your thing, perhaps jamming an erotic aid in your ear will really impress! Otherwise, there's really not much that can technically be done to a headphone design to overcome the limitations of speakers that can be comfortably strapped to your head.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    Quote:

Like the iPod connector cable? Yeah, that will NEVER catch on with consumers*!

*Consumers are a group that does not necessarily contain you or others who bitch in forums. Citing them in your statements does not provide much support or cover for your lack of insight.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Apple will be unlikely to sell or license adapters. You will have a better User Experience if you buy the proprietary-jack headphones directly from Apple.

Can any of you read?

Or did you post shit based on the headline?
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

dear apple!

YOU DON'T NEED TO MAKE THE IPODS SMALLER!!!

we don't want proprietary phone jacks, we want ipods that have a higher capacity and that cost LESS!!! that's it!

thank you

Speak for yourself. I don't want an iPhone-sized iPod Touch. Size and weight is one of the huge advantages of the Touch over the iPhone.
  • Reply 79 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Can any of you read?

Or did you post shit based on the headline?

Most of us only read headlines. As a matter of fact headlines are very important. If well written, they make people click on the story. But do they read it? thats the real question.

I finally got it after reading the whole article.
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Nope 4096 is better than 1080 and can't be delivered on optical media, that is what Apple are working on (they're also the only computer manufacturer who offer optical out as standard on all of their laptop and desktop range, and the new AppleTV.

Blu-Ray would put up unit costs and not benefit from being displayed at close quarters on a laptop or desktop computer monitor.

The AppleTV is a device for streaming rental content, there is not streaming media available at 1080 being delivered by any legal source - there isn't the bandwidth or connection speed available on a commercial telecom infrastructure.

Do you understand?

Three paragraphs to simply say "$"?

Point is, apple doesnt sell blu-rays discs. Period.