adding a 2nd display for Imac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just received my new 2010 Imac...big screen but could use some more space for C4D pallets.,,,one..can this be done...can I use any display( don't need an expensive apple display for pallets) but I assume I would need some fancy connector..correct?

Do most displays come with this fancy connector?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 2 of 7
    thank you for the kind response..I will check out those links
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by climber View Post

thank you for the kind response..I will check out those links

I have a 20" ViewSonic monitor connected to my late 2009 iMac by a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, and it works very well. However, the iMac screen makes the ViewSonic look anemic. I love the glossy screen of the iMac.

However, like you, I don't need the secondary monitor to be as good as the iMac. It serves it purpose and cost $300 several years ago. But prices have been coming down. Best Buy online has a 27 " monitor for not much more:

ViewSonic VX2739WM - 27" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD display w/ USB hub from ViewSonic in Monitors - $330 new,*$245 used.

Two 27" monitors side by side would be awesome, but don't expect the ViewSonic to be as good as the iMac.

Dell has some good 27" monitors, but they're more expensive than the Apple Cinema Display at $1099 and $1296. Dell does have one ($4.00) cheaper than the ACD at $996.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sounds good..I don;t think I would need anymore than a 19inch..since its only for palletts. As for the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter...should I get one from apple or are they all the same?

thanks

S
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

sounds good..I don;t think I would need anymore than a 19inch..since its only for palletts. As for the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter...should I get one from apple or are they all the same?

thanks

S

If memory serves, I bought mine at Monoprice:

Product ID: 6000

10FT 32AWG MINI DISPLAYPORT TO DVI Cable - White

$11.34
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

thanks

S

ViewSonic 19" 720p Widescreen LCD HDTV with Built-In ATSC/NTSC/QAM Tuner - Refurbished (N1930W-S)

16:9 Aspect Ratio, 4000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio, 1440 x 900 Native Resolution, 160/160 Degrees H/V Viewing Angle, (1) HDMI with HDCP Input, (1) Composite/Component Input, ATSC/NTSC/QAM Tuner

List Price t$279.00

You Savet$145 (52%)

Your Final Pricet$133.99

MacMall Part#t7668696

Mfr Part#tN1930W-S

Usually Shipst

Same Day \t

AvailabilitytGenerally in Stock

PlatformtUniversal

ManufacturertViewSonic

UPCt766907299618

Customer Ratingt (2)

Free UPS Ground Shipping - Orders Over $49 (Spend over $49 & receive free UPS ground shipping (3-7 days). Promotion covers orders up to 60lbs. Excludes TVs over 42". Not available in AK & HI.)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    climberclimber Posts: 130member
    thanks again sequitur...