Dated, disputed rumor of Tim Cook joining HP affects Apple stock

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Cook should go to HP and liquidate the company to return money to the shareholders. HP is a crappy company with nothing except their super expensive ink to sell. They sold their soul to Wintel and now they are paying the price. WebOS was interesting and now it is dead under the HP umbrella.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple has a week plus of increases and then the same day that all the blogs jump onto this rumor and publish it with the appearance of fact, the stock drops $4 and $4 the next day.

AND HP goes up (albeit at a smaller rate)

I doubt it was caused by the record high temps in Cali.

Actually, the rumour resurfaced because no one could find a good reason for the flash crash. The RIMM announcement wasn't it, RIMM dropped too.

The Cook rumour doesn't make sense either. Rumours of that sort have a small and immediate effect.

I think it was just a huge wave of profit taking with the consumer confidence stats about to be released.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post

Capital gains taxes, like you mean the huge taxes you pay when you sell your house for more than you bought it for. The increase in value being artificial and the result of inflation caused by the federal reserve policies, encouraged by a government spending far more than it can afford. Until of course it all goes bust and 15%+ (true unemployment since those who no longer get benefits aren't counted) of the country has no jobs and are losing said homes.

1. Capital gains taxes on selling primary residence isn't remotely the same as capital gains taxes on selling stocks. (http://taxes.about.com/od/taxplannin...e_sale_tax.htm)

2. What inflation? Inflation hasn't been a problem since the early 1980s.

3. Yes, unemployment is closer to 15% when it's calculated right. I agree with that. And I'm also happy to place some blame on the fed, but not because of high inflation (which doesn't exist) but because their fear of nonexistent inflation prevents them from taking stronger action to increase demand.

Of course, 1-3 is all besides the point. You're obviously one of those 50-70 yo white male Tea Party wingnuts. Nothing anyone says will penetrate your diseased mind.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

1. Capital gains taxes on selling primary residence isn't remotely the same as capital gains taxes on selling stocks. (http://taxes.about.com/od/taxplannin...e_sale_tax.htm)

3. Yes, unemployment is closer to 15% when it's calculated right. I agree with that. And I'm also happy to place some blame on the fed, but not because of high inflation (which doesn't exist) but because their fear of nonexistent inflation prevents them from taking stronger action to increase demand.

Of course, 1-3 is all besides the point. You're obviously one of those 50-70 yo white male Tea Party wingnuts. Nothing anyone says will penetrate your diseased mind.

Humour the old man, he's obviously deluded.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Aside from the fact that this story is most likely a scam, it's interesting to contemplate whether Tim Cook ever would leave Apple. It's virtually impossible for a lowly peon such as myself to imagine what's going on inside the mind of the COO of the second most valuable company in the world, but I have to say that I could never leave Apple if I were in his shoes, unless it was for something completely different from the computer/tech industry. Going to run HP after being at Apple would be like... flying coach after flying first class, driving Toyota after driving a BMW (I loathe Toyota), or using a PC after using a Mac. In other words, it would be a hollow empty experience.

Now, were I in his shoes, I could imagine contemplating someday going off to do something entirely different. Maybe do something in renewable energy, buy a winery (and be prepared to lose money), or start a foundation that funds genetic research.

But run HP? Bleh.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:

1. Capital gains taxes on selling primary residence isn't remotely the same as capital gains taxes on selling stocks.

Funny, that. Nobody except a real estate flipper ever needs to pay capital gains on the sale of a home.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

Aside from the fact that this story is most likely a scam, it's interesting to contemplate whether Tim Cook ever would leave Apple. It's virtually impossible for a lowly peon such as myself to imagine what's going on inside the mind of the COO of the second most valuable company in the world, but I have to say that I could never leave Apple if I were in his shoes, unless it was for something completely different from the computer/tech industry. Going to run HP after being at Apple would be like... flying coach after flying first class, driving Toyota after driving a BMW (I loathe Toyota), or using a PC after using a Mac. In other words, it would be a hollow empty experience.

Now, were I in his shoes, I could imagine contemplating someday going off to do something entirely different. Maybe do something in renewable energy, buy a winery (and be prepared to lose money), or start a foundation that funds genetic research.

But run HP? Bleh.

Hey! I prefer my Toyota to my girlfriends BMW. Other than that though, I have to agree with everything you said. I really can't see Cook going to HP. I COULD have imagined him going to Palm, just for the challenge, but never HP.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:

That explains why a dollar from 30 years ago would need to be over $2.50 today. Or, stated, differently, a dollar from 19080 is worth about 39 cents today. Lest you claim that it was the high inflation of the early 80's, even if you start in 1985, a dollar from 1985 is worth 50 cents today. That's not no inflation.

Quote:

You're obviously one of those 50-70 yo white male Tea Party wingnuts. Nothing anyone says will penetrate your diseased mind.

How nice. When rational arguments fail, then resort to name-calling and insults.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Not too long ago HP was one of the best places to work for - Not just for the Indians, but also for the Chiefs! HP was one of the shinning star of the valley. It is so sad to see what has happened and happening of HP. I would think this would be the 2nd company (after Yahoo) who has really been messed up due to actions of Board of Directors!
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

That explains why a dollar from 30 years ago would need to be over $2.50 today. Or, stated, differently, a dollar from 19080 is worth about 39 cents today. Lest you claim that it was the high inflation of the early 80's, even if you start in 1985, a dollar from 1985 is worth 50 cents today. That's not no inflation.

Look, inflation can be one of three things -- positive, negative, or zero. Negative => deflation => depression. Zero is virtually impossible. That leaves positive. And if it's positive then over any stretch of time compounding the rate will allow you to make the types of statements you're making. But so what? It means nothing.

Since Volker crushed inflation in the 1980s, inflation has been low and stable. We do not suffer from inflation rates that are too high. You're barking up the wrong tree.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:

Since Volker crushed inflation in the 1980s, inflation has been low and stable. We do not suffer from inflation rates that are too high. You're barking up the wrong tree.

OK
  • Reply 32 of 43
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

What inflation? Inflation hasn't been a problem since the early 1980s.

According to historical data from consumer price index .... what cost you $100.00 in 1980 would have cost you $257.00 in 2009. .... I'd say that amount of inflation could be called a problem, wouldn't you?
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

AAPL is one the most heavily manipulated stocks. I thought this kind of thing only happened before major announcements. As in "buy on the rumor, sell on the news"...

But that's OK. Anyone with a short position on AAPL is in trouble.

I think that is exactly what happened. September options expired a few days ago, and a whole mess of people shorting Apple got caught with the recent climb in price. If you have enough shares, you can dump half of them at the higher price, selling all the way down to the target, and then start buying again while the panic is still rampant. Instant $20-30 a share profit.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple has a week plus of increases and then the same day that all the blogs jump onto this rumor and publish it with the appearance of fact, the stock drops $4 and $4 the next day.

AND HP goes up (albeit at a smaller rate)

I doubt it was caused by the record high temps in Cali.

uhm, yeah, and rim announced their playbook, too, yesterday. but it was the rumour. all the rumour.

i have as much evidence that the price drop was because of the weather in california as you do that it was the rumours.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

If Cook leaves for HP, Apple will counter by swiping Bradley away from HP to replace Cook.

Not sure if you're serious. But I don't think Apple wants to touch anything from HP with a 10-foot pole.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdav View Post

I think that is exactly what happened. September options expired a few days ago, and a whole mess of people shorting Apple got caught with the recent climb in price. If you have enough shares, you can dump half of them at the higher price, selling all the way down to the target, and then start buying again while the panic is still rampant. Instant $20-30 a share profit.

AAPL drops 1.5% and that's a... panic?
  • Reply 37 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

should the co-founder ever have to step down.

He's only 55 so it's possible he could be in control for a while, health permitting. There have been CEOs aged 100. The personal computer industry has only been going for 26 years. Even another 10-15 years, things will change dramatically.

I still don't think Cook is right for the position though, at least not as a spokesperson. His stage presence doesn't go over very well at all. He just seems too corporate. Phil is not serious enough, Ive is too pretentious and not confident enough and Serlet too frightening. Cook could be the CEO and Forstall would be a good spokesperson. He's sometimes too youthful in the sense that he talks like a teenager being blown away by stuff all the time but I think Apple needs that youthful appeal. Once they go the corporate route, it's not going to look good.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

According to historical data from consumer price index .... what cost you $100.00 in 1980 would have cost you $257.00 in 2009. .... I'd say that amount of inflation could be called a problem, wouldn't you?

No, I would not call 3.2% annual inflation a problem.

I would call the significantly higher inflation rates of the late 70s and early 80s a major problem, but as I said, volker solved that problem. Since volker, inflation has been generally in the ballpark of 2%.

How is that a problem?
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

OK

Ha -- I win!
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:

No, I would not call 3.2% annual inflation a problem.

I would call the significantly higher inflation rates of the late 70s and early 80s a major problem, but as I said, volker solved that problem. Since volker, inflation has been generally in the ballpark of 2%.

How is that a problem?

Because some clown on Faux News said so.