Adidas cancels $10M iAd contract due to Apple's control - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have to wonder how close that relationship is now. The Nike+ app for v4.x has yet to work right, even with the 4.2 betas. It?ll cut out at an apparently random time so your distance and times are way off.

Nike says they have no control over the Nike+ app (which makes sense since it?s built into iOS) and Apple doesn?t respond on the issue (as usual lol).

The work around is to but Nike+GPS or one of the other apps that bypass the wireless Nike+ device. The accelerometer and GPS built into the iPhone is pretty accurate for this sort of thing and Nike+GPS makes a pretty slick image for you of your course, with the online version showing you elevation along your route which has helped determine why I was faster or slower in certain areas.

I just use a map and a watch
  • Reply 22 of 60
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

It's because Steve wears New Balance...

So do I!...

Great minds think alike!

Oh darn, I just peed a little from laughing at myself...

Can anyone tell me where I can go to access a real life iAd? So I can see one for myself... Thanks.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Apple will relax iAd rules just like it did for iPhone development: iron-fisted control pisses off the people who make it possible: actual developers and actual companies seeking ads.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Adidasgate!
  • Reply 25 of 60
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Yep, sounds like a bit of old fashioned Apple Stock Manipulation/FUD.

*Yawn*

Well, I guess it IS a rumours site afterall....
  • Reply 26 of 60
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Apple evidently puts out insanely great products and in order to do that it can take extra time and effort. It is understandable that some companies may not wish to put in such an effort even at the cost inferior results.

I believe that if every iAd advertisement is insanely great then Apple will benefit in the long term when advertisers know their chance of a successful ad campaign on iAds is very high.

I for one actually look for iAd advertisement to see them because I know that they are very cool. They are like the best Super Bowl ads. Not only do you watch them you talk to you friends about them.

If Adidas does not want to put in the time and effort for an awesome ad then so be it. I will gladly watch Nike ads and buy their products.

Are there any iAds for "Le Coq Sportif"? Better start using iAds...

Time will tell.

Like a lamb to the slaughter. Advertisers and companies dream of people like you.

"Creative Differences" says nothing about the quality of either Adidas' or Apple's "awesome"ness. I think you find it inconceivable that Apple might have gotten this wrong.

Without more information you (or I) can't really say.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    If Apple wasn't around making it rain on these bi**** no one would step up to the plate the way Apple does. And we all know that.

MY ipad's fit and finish is beyond words!

I remember the other day I used my iphone 4 to take a picture of a page from an old calculus book. I emailed the pix to my hotmail and opened it up on ipad and viewed it in photos. DAMN!!!! What quality! Awesome!!!!

I don't even need to spend money on photo copies cause the dynamic duo of iphone and ipad are making it rain on the competition!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

I think Steve Jobs was most concerned about all the nudity in the Adidas ad.

See this is marketing genius, who didn't read this and think to themselves "Damn, wish I could see that ad!"
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Apple will relax iAd rules just like it did for iPhone development: iron-fisted control pisses off the people who make it possible: actual developers and actual companies seeking ads.

But rather then how I read your comment to sound, as in, at first they are too controlling, then learn to relax it a little, perhaps it is on purpose. Sets things on the right track so to speak, make the groove along the path you want before relaxing and letting others follow.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    It'd be interesting to know who at apple is judging the ad concepts brought forth by other companies. The majority of their advertising still goes through chiat\\day right? Is apple having them oversee the ads, is jobs personally going through them? (I know not likely, but it isn't like there are hundreds, so it would be possible)
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post

It'd be interesting to know who at apple is judging the ad concepts brought forth by other companies. The majority of their advertising still goes through chiat\\day right? Is apple having them oversee the ads, is jobs personally going through them? (I know not likely, but it isn't like there are hundreds, so it would be possible)

I would surely imagine Steve Jobs would be looking in at regular interval. A big company like Adidas in a $10,000,000 has to be to worth his at least irregular attention.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Wait... two sources. And it's rumor? I've seen far less passed off as a story here.

Sure, sure, you'll point to how that source or this source has all these problems in the past and try to degenerate the whole thing. Heck, you may even try to say how above-board your own reporting is... but c'mon. I see nothing wrong with Apple finding its hind tit stuck in the grater every once in a while. They're not perfect, for crying out loud. I mean, look at the iPhone 4 antenna.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Apple are taking on a huge burden if they want to quality control every ad campaign used in iOS. It's just not feasible to make every one of them high quality. It's good that they are trying to improve advertising but there are more important things to spend time on such as building HTML 5 authoring tools for the rest of the world to build their own adverts.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'm calling "bull". Creative work rejected only three times? That's NOTHING!

I don't believe this for a second. Concepts may be generated in the dozens or hundreds before being finalized, especially for a multi-million dollar campaign.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Yes Steve Jobs is a control freak. If you didn't know that when you signed the dotted line on your business contract with Apple, then you don't deserve to run your company.

And yes Jobs being a control freak has been so bad for Apple's business partners. Look how much AT&T's subscriber numbers and bottom line have collapsed ever since they got iPhone exclusivity by yielding total control of the device to Apple. (sarcasm). And look how little business all those Chinese contract manufacturers have done ever since they sold their souls to Steve Jobs. (more sarcasm)

Perhaps Adidas and Chanel are not comfortable working under Apple's usual terms. That does not prove that with iAd, Apple's way of doing business is a failure. The jury is still out on that.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm calling "bull". Creative work rejected only three times? That's NOTHING!

I don't believe this for a second. Concepts may be generated in the dozens or hundreds before being finalized, especially for a multi-million dollar campaign.

Yeah, I'm thinking that if the concept for the ad itself was rejected three times, it was probably just plain old boring.

Apple is trying to position itself (as it does in all markets) by grabbing the top portion. The only way to do that is to ensure at least initially, that all the stuff coming out in iAds is amazing and blows away the other ads. I would bet without even seeing it that Adidas just did some run of the mill ad that just wasn't good enough.

if this is the case and Apple is throwing out the more boring stuff then it's absolutely the right decision.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, I'm thinking that if the concept for the ad itself was rejected three times, it was probably just plain old boring.

Apple is trying to position itself (as it does in all markets) by grabbing the top portion. The only way to do that is to ensure at least initially, that all the stuff coming out in iAds is amazing and blows away the other ads. I would bet without even seeing it that Adidas just did some run of the mill ad that just wasn't good enough.

if this is the case and Apple is throwing out the more boring stuff then it's absolutely the right decision.

I would guess they ran the same re-heated ideas with a little tweak here and there and expected it to pass Steve Jobs' muster with flying colors somehow after three attempts. So yeah, I'm inclined to believe that Adidas just wasn't trying very hard. Then again, I haven't seen a good Adidas commercial in a while. They make good products, but their marketing team must really suck, because all their marketing is is just plaster the logo on a photo of a celebrity wearing their clothing. Or so it seems. Nike does a way better job (in this respect) of offering cooler stuff like NikeiD
  • Reply 38 of 60
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

I would guess they ran the same re-heated ideas with a little tweak here and there and expected it to pass Steve Jobs' muster with flying colors somehow after three attempts. So yeah, I'm inclined to believe that Adidas just wasn't trying very hard. Then again, I haven't seen a good Adidas commercial in a while. They make good products, but their marketing team must really suck, because all their marketing is is just plaster the logo on a photo of a celebrity wearing their clothing. Or so it seems. Nike does a way better job (in this respect) of offering cooler stuff like NikeiD

Adidas is huge overseas and make really good commercials outside of the US. Just because you haven't seen any doesn't mean they don't exist.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    what's Yahoo! ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I never know where Yahoo is with ads. I tried them back when they had just switched to the Overture service that they bought & renamed. It wasn't any good, trying to find basic features was a job in chasing your own tail, with a useless help system and no way to contact them with a question. I thought they were now using Microsoft's ad network, but I can't find that source anymore.

• Reply 40 of 60
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Sad day for creative collaboration, but I try to stay out of that world. Commercial art is an oxymoron.

For the record I like New Balance, then Adidas, then Nike, in that order. I need NB because it has the wide widths, I get corns and calluses with Nike.

No, I was wearing NB before I realised Steve loves them.

Anyway, they're all just shoes. 2 years ago in London I bought a store-brand shoe, it was alright for casual, rough wear.