Nokia admits Apple is a "must have" in the US and EU

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 27
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerDom View Post


    I was working for Nokia from 2006-2008 and can confirm that they felt super-secure.



    I told them, back then, if Apple creates a phone, that Nokia will decline to a Motorola-like state in a matter of about 5 years. Back then everybody was laughing about my opinion. Now nobody is laughing anymore.



    In three years Apple has disrupted the market, and pretty much all of Nokia's profits are now flowing into Apple's coffers.



    Three years a pretty short period for this to happen. But it is not an eyeblink.



    But what's amazing is just how slowly Nokia have reacted. In fact, I am still not sure that Nokia have reacted at all to Apple. In product terms, I am not sure they have done anything differently at all.



    I am staggered that someone can take a world-dominating company and drive it into the ground like this.



    C.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post


    In three years Apple has disrupted the market, and pretty much all of Nokia's profits are now flowing into Apple's coffers.



    Three years a pretty short period for this to happen. But it is not an eyeblink.



    But what's amazing is just how slowly Nokia have reacted. In fact, I am still not sure that Nokia have reacted at all to Apple. In product terms, I am not sure they have done anything differently at all.



    I am staggered that someone can take a world-dominating company and drive it into the ground like this.

    C.



    Steve Ballmer
  • Reply 23 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post


    Steve Ballmer



    Yep, he must hold some kind of galactic record for reducing the worth of a company!
  • Reply 24 of 27
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post


    Steve Ballmer



    That's not fair to him He's simply following his company's lack of vision of how things should be, rather than how they were
  • Reply 25 of 27
    rpsxrpsx Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post


    This is a very mediocre company that has zero creative taste or ability, they are in the process of going extinct, I think the employees feel it in the air.



    as someone who used to work there, i beg to differ. i think inside the company there is creative taste and ability, but it never gets out. they squander it, and management has no idea how to recognize it.



    it is a company that does everything and anything by committee consensus. there seems to be little if any individual accountability. they water down everything until it is nothing meaningful. the people with true vision and talent are silenced by those in charge, or just not recognized.



    so, it's there. but, it's wasted. and thus, the rest of what you say may very well be true. however, they just shook up the very top of the company. there is a new ceo, the "old guard" who were strong characters are gone. so, it's now or never.



    personally, i think they should stop playing against apple and forget about them. apple accounts for 1% of mobile sales. so, who cares, really. they should keep going after the rest of the 99% - which they already have a large share of.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    rpsxrpsx Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post


    In three years Apple has disrupted the market, and pretty much all of Nokia's profits are now flowing into Apple's coffers.



    you are joking, right? apple has 1% of the mobile market. nokia has 35%. don't think because you own an iphone, that the rest of the world has one. they don't. i am sure samsung or lg has taken 50x more sales away from nokia as apple has.



    apple has 1 phone model, basically. nokia has dozens. the media over-bloats these "smartphone" wars. as a whole, the mobile phone market is much bigger out there. it's much more boring, but it is much much bigger.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rpsx View Post


    you are joking, right? apple has 1% of the mobile market. nokia has 35%. don't think because you own an iphone, that the rest of the world has one. they don't. i am sure



    Not joking (this time) deadly serious.









    Nokia is now barely in profit and on-track to make a loss next year *despite* having the largest market share.



    This is the very definition of disruption. Apple's single product has captured 48% of the global mobile profits. Not just smartphone, but all mobile.



    C.
Sign In or Register to comment.