Apple's fifth-gen iPhone may support dual model GSM/CDMA but not LTE

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    The real 4G spec, which might turn out to be a variant of the current LTE, isn't even finalized yet. It might be LTE Advanced, which will be all-IP packet-switched just like other internet traffic. So it might just be a firmware update beyond today's LTE. But either way, LTE isn't 4G.

I had figured that Apple would stonewall the AT&T criticism until true 4G had been rolled out and widely adopted. And only then would they make a universal AT&T/Verizon/Whoever iPhone that runs the 4G standard. But that can't possibly happen until 2013 at the earliest, which could be about a year after the real 4G rollout begins.

There's just too much money to be made in 3 years. And Apple is in a long-term battle with Google for eyeballs on iAd and AdMob mobile ads. Apple would be giving up too much ground (and profits) by waiting until iPhone 7 in 2013 before creating a multi-carrier phone. They can't wait for all the carriers to adopt 4G, then roll it out widely enough to be interesting.

(Of course, this assumes that Android will survive the Oracle Java license violation lawsuit. There won't be an out-of-court cash settlement on this one. Larry Ellison doesn't give a crap about money.)

Here are the Wikipedia articles on 3.9G and 4G:

LTE aka 3.9G

LTE Advanced aka 4G
  • Reply 22 of 39
    does this mean it will work on T-Mobile?
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

The rollout of LTE on both AT&T and Verizon (ie 3.9G) involves entirely different sets of frequencies. Verizon won the FCC auction to get a nationwide spectrum in the 700MHz band and AT&T won almost as good a spectrum in the 850MHz band.

WRONG. Thanks for pretending you know what you are talking about, but it really is not helpful. Verizon "won" the 700 mhz C block nationwide liscense. AT&T won a bunch or regional 700 mhz B block licenses and also purchased the neighboring 700 mhz B block licenses held by Aloha. AT&T actually has more 700 mhz bandwidth than Verizon in most parts of the country including all of the top 100 populations centers.

The 850 mhz spectrum was auctioned off long ago and is owned by Versizon and AT&T and that has been a big factor in their better coverage and higher level of success than Sprint (roams on Verizon) and T-mobile (no signal outside of urban areas).
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gordon Werner View Post

does this mean it will work on T-Mobile?

Are there any dual-band CDMA/GSM chips that run at 1700MHz? If so, the answer is maybe.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    In related news, another source "Close to an Apple" has revealed that the iPhone 5 may be the first to include a vegetable peeler.

"This would make the next iPhone indespensable to the Kitchen Crowd" said Analyst Imso Fullakrap in a report for Browne Financial "And would trly set the device apart from other phones out there - only the Palm Pre has approached combining Kitchen Utensils with a Mobile Data Device. A Peeler would truly be a pure Jobsian innovation, his vegetarianism shows that his fingerprints are all over this device"

---

We can continue to repeat other peoples crap, or make up our own. I vote for the latter.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Citing rumors that stem back to last November, TechCrunch claims that Apple's next major iPhone revision will run on both GSM and CDMA networks -- presumably via a dual-mode Qualcomm baseband chip -- but won't support the next-generation of faster, Long Term Evolution (LTE) networks, more communally referred to as 4G networks.

Instead, the Cupertino-based company will reportedly take a less aggressive approach that will see it delay the iPhone's support of 4G networks until some time in 2012, allowing it to bypass the first generation of power-hungry and potentially problematic LTE baseband controllers in favor of boosting its efforts around proprietary technologies like FaceTime. [...]

It's for these reasons, the report adds, that AT&T has been upgrading its network for broader support of the faster, HSPA+ -- or so called 3.5G -- standard while Verizon has been working to implement an enhancement to the CDMA standard that will let future devices transmit both data and voice communications simultaneously.

Videotron in Quebec, Canada, just launched its new cell phone network, termed 3.75G. I suppose that this means that Android phones will reign supreme, without any competition from Apple, for a period of 18 months. And what about the new Windows Phone 7 phones?

Steve Jobs and Apple VPs have an unparalleled ability for self delusion if they believe for an instant that consumers will wait 18 months for Apple to come back to its senses and build an iPhone capable of running on 3.75G and 4G networks.

Apple sells iPhones with a 250% markup, paying $200 to build iPhones and selling them for $700, much higher than the standard 40% markup of retail sales. Now, what will happen to the iPhone's market share for 18 months while consumers take advantage of lower priced and speedier Android and Windows 7 smartphones?

Is this Windows 95 all over again? Is this the beginning of the end for iPhones? And what will happen when Microsoft, Google and every smartphone builder bombard consumers with catchy publicity highlighting the speed, features and lower cost of new smartphones, especially when compared with last year's technology offered by Apple iPhones?

Is this Apple's attempt to give Microsoft and Google a strong foothold in the smartphone market, once pioneered by Apple?

Competition is ruthless. Not everyone will buy the lame excuses of Apple's executives for offering an inferior phone for an out of this world price. As the saying goes:

'Lead, follow, or get out of the way'.

• Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Videotron in Quebec, Canada, just launched its new cell phone network, termed 3.75G. I suppose that this means that Android phones will reign supreme, without any competition from Apple, for a period of 18 months. And what about the new Windows Phone 7 phones?

Steve Jobs and Apple VPs have an unparalleled ability for self delusion if they believe for an instant that consumers will wait 18 months for Apple to come back to its senses and build an iPhone capable of running on 3.75G and 4G networks.

3.75G is HSPA (on UMTS networks). HSPA is a combination of HSDPA and HSUPA, both supported by the iPhone 4.

Quote:

Apple sells iPhones with a 250% markup, paying $200 to build iPhones and selling them for $700, much higher than the standard 40% markup of retail sales. Now, what will happen to the iPhone's market share for 18 months while consumers take advantage of lower priced and speedier Android and Windows 7 smartphones?

Not a lot really. Same reason Rolls Royce and BMW are still in business when we can all go buy a cheap Hyundai.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:

Is this Windows 95 all over again? Is this the beginning of the end for iPhones? And what will happen when Microsoft, Google and every smartphone builder bombard consumers with catchy publicity highlighting the speed, features and lower cost of new smartphones, especially when compared with last year's technology offered by Apple iPhones?

Is this Apple's attempt to give Microsoft and Google a strong foothold in the smartphone market, once pioneered by Apple?

Competition is ruthless. Not everyone will buy the lame excuses of Apple's executives for offering an inferior phone for an out of this world price. As the saying goes:

Please check your facts. Videotron towers are in limited areas of Quebec which run at the same data speeds as Rogers, Bell and Telus. Videotron customers traveling outside of Quebec are roaming on Rogers Nationwide network. Videotron customers are also roaming on Rogers towers in parts of Quebec. Since the iPhone is sold on the big three (Rogers, Bell, Telus) it would be less costlier to use one of those three networks which provide HSPA+ 3.5G Nationwide instead of Videotron which rents towers from Rogers to provide coverage for their customers.

As for 4G the first Canadian company to be working on this is Rogers who announced it to the media last week which is being tested on the 1700 and 700 MHz spectrums that was sold by the CRTC to several Canadian telecoms. The new Qualcomm MDM9600 which may be in the iPhone next year will support EDGE, EVDO, HSPA+ (3.5G) and LTE (4G). This would fall in line with Rogers network plans for 2011 to provide support for LTE and backwards compatibility for HSPA+ and EDGE cellphones and USB modems. The MDM9600 would also provide expanded coverage for Bell and Telus customers who currently cannot use GSM cellphones on EVDO.

Reference http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/roge...ial-in-canada/
  • Reply 29 of 39
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Not quite. I assume you are (mis)using iSuppli's figures? Those don't take into account the entire cost of creating the iPhone, only manufacturing and some distribution. No R&D, no administrative, no marketing, no sales, etc, etc, etc. What would the markup be on that $19.95 plastic toy that has about 5 cents of materials in it be? How about that $1.50 bottle of soda in the vending matchine that cost Coke about 2 cents to make? (Just making that up, but you get the point.)

I'm not saying Apple doesn't ask for a premium for their products. But I believe the estimates are between 20-40% gross margin, depending on the item. Definitely higher than other electronics manufacturers get. But like they say, you get what you pay for.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Steve Jobs and Apple VPs have an unparalleled ability for self delusion ...

I agree, as evidenced by how incredibly delusional Apple's stock price is today compared to what it was in 2001.

Quote:

I think you are confusing the iPhone with the Microsoft KIN.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I know this is a rumours site but come on. This is the same shit posted last year and the year before. Surely if you post the same shite then one day you will be right?!?

Unless these runour mongerers provide even a scrap of proof please ignore their bullshit ramblings. (if you can't then please create a page 3. use this to deal with the "one day this rumor will come true" moniker.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Yes, but will it come in white?
  • Reply 33 of 39
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    I am somewhat confused. This is only a RUMOR article, but it seems to say that the iPhone 5 will miss on the next great thing in terms of speed, thereby opening the market wide for iPhone competitors, presumably running faster on faster networks (3.75G, 3.9G or 4G). If this is true, then Android and Windows 7 phones will have a field day, helped by catchy publicity campaigns.

But some comments seem to indicate that the iPhone 5 will run just fine on newer or upgraded existing networks, taking full advantage of 22 mbps speeds offered by upgraded or newer networks. Videotron is just an example of a new network still under construction, but offering speeds up to 22 mbps. Other networks are investing billions to upgrade their equipment.

So, will the iPhone 5 offer competitive speeds of up to 22 mbps?

• Reply 34 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

This makes sense. 4G, even though it's not really true 4G, isn't ready for primetime. .

given the flack that Apple has gotten with ATT's weak spots etc, no way are they going to jump too fast for 4g.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

I love how AI reports this as "news". Anyone could see this coming.

Anyone that is a techno geek and phone freak sure. But remember that's only like 2% of the buyers for Apple stuff. Most have little to no clue.

They are hearing 4g this and 4g that and how it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. So they will expect it for the new iphone. When it doesn't happen it is possible the stock price could suffer.

AI is countering the assumption that the next iphone will be 4g by giving very valid reasons why Apple might say no. And putting them out into an environment where it could be quoted, linked etc. Because many blogs pointed towards a less techno readership do source from AppleInsider etc

Quote:

Apple sells iPhones with a 250% markup, paying $200 to build iPhones and selling them for $700

I love it when folks post nonsense like that. Some site guesses that the components cost perhaps $150 but they are talking literally about the components. They don't address licensing etc. It's not like Apple can just shove in what they want cause they want. If they could they wouldn't be mixed up in easily 2 dozen patents just over the iphone.

Quote:

Competition is ruthless. Not everyone will buy the lame excuses of Apple's executives for offering an inferior phone for an out of this world price.

The literally millions of iphones, ipads etc suggest that in fact everyone does buy Apple's "lame" excuses for offering a phone you feel is inferior at a price you think is absurdly high
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

(LTE doesn?t even have its voice standard fleshed out yet).

Why does LTE need a voice standard? maybe my perception is out of context.. but with LTE's pipeline, who is really going after tier'd voice? i thought data would over rule this?
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[snip]

Citing rumors that stem back to last November, TechCrunch claims that Apple's next major iPhone revision will run on both GSM and CDMA networks -- presumably via a dual-mode Qualcomm baseband chip -- but won't support the next-generation of faster, Long Term Evolution (LTE) networks, more communally referred to as 4G networks.

[mo' snip]

Funny... that's not what TC was saying in August.

And I think they're not in a terrible rush to get the simultaneous surfing and talking extension[s] working on CDMA/EV-DO, either. I rarely talk and surf at the same time with my computers and telephone... the only killer app for it is skype-type calling... but that can run completely on data. i.e. it doesn't really *need* segregated voice and data sections to work. Once that reaches critical mass, traditional telcos might as well start pulling out their wires to sell for scrap copper. In my honest opinion.

Was communally the author's attempt at a Palinism, or spell-check run amok by the way?
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

I am somewhat confused. This is only a RUMOR article, but it seems to say that the iPhone 5 will miss on the next great thing in terms of speed, thereby opening the market wide for iPhone competitors, presumably running faster on faster networks (3.75G, 3.9G or 4G). If this is true, then Android and Windows 7 phones will have a field day, helped by catchy publicity campaigns.

But some comments seem to indicate that the iPhone 5 will run just fine on newer or upgraded existing networks, taking full advantage of 22 mbps speeds offered by upgraded or newer networks. Videotron is just an example of a new network still under construction, but offering speeds up to 22 mbps. Other networks are investing billions to upgrade their equipment.

So, will the iPhone 5 offer competitive speeds of up to 22 mbps?

For a Phone user though, 22Mbps isn't going to be more competitive than 2Mbps, you're just not going to notice the difference in phone data usage.

For Road warriors and us Geeks, the difference is notable there, but we're not the majority.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I got a question for those who know the 3G to 3.9G transition.

Let's say all the latest/ data consuming smart phones from Motorola and HTC move on over to 3.9G. Would that free up the space for 3G users, and maybe make iPhone actually faster during that time. In other words, will there be a jam in the freshly released LTE, leaving more bandwidth available to those on 3G?

The answer is no. For every user that gets a 3.9G phone, there will be 1.X users still moving to 3G. In other words, only the bottom end users shrink. Middle user counts will continue to increase until the industry fully transitions.

There won't suddenly be an over capacity. Once there was, they'd start shutting things down.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's fifth-generation iPhone will be capable of running on networks based on both of the world's most popular 3G wireless standards but will forgo support for the faster 4G networks that are just now coming online, according to a new report ...

given that Rogers (the main carrier here in Canada) has just recently started non-lab tests of a 4G network in Ottawa this does not surprise me. i do hope, however, the 4G rollout to other parts of Canada will occur throughout 2011.