Apple's new MacBook Air has 8-10hr battery, upgradeable RAM - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think that the 11.6 could cannibalize (yeah, that's the right word) iPad sales.

I'm sure Apple would be happy to sell a more expensive device at the expense of a lesser one (but I think they still have different target demographics).
  • Reply 22 of 59
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It would be pretty amazing to get so much battery life is something so thin. Kind of hard to believe. The iPad can do it, but then it is using an ARM cpu. It there some kind of lower power AMD cpu they could be using?
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I'm sure Apple would be happy to sell a more expensive device at the expense of a lesser one (but I think they still have different target demographics).

Not necessarily. It depends on the margins.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Also, is there a reason why a proprietary SATA connection would be used over a proprietary mini-PCIe connection for storage.

Size maybe?
  • Reply 25 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It would be pretty amazing to get so much battery life is something so thin. Kind of hard to believe. The iPad can do it, but then it is using an ARM cpu. It there some kind of lower power AMD cpu they could be using?

I think it's the same technology in all devices. Remember that recent MacBook Pros also have 10 hour batteries now.

What people forget is that the iPad has a ton of empty space inside. The iPad battery could be even bigger, but they left it reasonably small so as to keep it light.
  • Reply 26 of 59
    sorry...
  • Reply 27 of 59
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think it's the same technology in all devices. Remember that recent MacBook Pros also have 10 hour batteries now.

Yep, I have one and was aware the MBP has that kind of battery life. Just not sure the Air has enough room. But we'll see.

With all the mystery surrounding the CPU, and this battery life figure, I am thinking there is something going on there. What about Intel Atom - that is an x64 chip. But is it grunty enough to run OS X apps?
  • Reply 28 of 59
    Intel's chipsets are the real bag of hurt for Apple. Intel isn't natively supporting USB3 until next year at the earliest, maybe even 2012! And Intel won't allow integrated graphics from anyone with their Core iX series chips except their own less attractive offerings. These two things, I believe, make it incredibly hard for Apple to make the computers they want to release.

Do you want great processors and crap graphics? Or do you want cheaper older processors and much better graphics? It's a compromise Intel forced on the industry. Same with USB3 vs. LightPeak.

Unless Apple figures out how to build a 13" with a Core iX and dedicated GPU with a cool thermal threshold and low PPW, Core iX isn't going to happen.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...The quick boot time on the new MacBook Air is said to be "unbelievable" and "amazing."

But will it be magical? Hell if I'm buyin somethin that ain't.
  • Reply 30 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

11.6" MacBook Air: 1280x800 display, 8 hours battery, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD - $999 ($1099 4GB, $1199 128GB)

13.3" MacBook Air: 1440x900 display, 10 hours battery, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD - $1299

Whither the MacBook non-Pro? Maybe a price reduction to $899, or total eradication.

Looks good except 13.3" MacBook Air will maintain 1280x800 display, MacBook will remain, possible price drop.

Mah 2 centz
  • Reply 31 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

But will it be magical?

Probably snappier.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What people forget is that the iPad has a ton of empty space inside. The iPad battery could be even bigger, but they left it reasonably small so as to keep it light.

1) The MB and MBPs have a lot more space for batteries compared to the power used by the components.

2) The iPad uses many low power components and it?s still only 10 hours of video with the battery being as large as it is.

3) The only way I can see that mockup being 10 hours of more on video playback is if they used one of those 10W Core-i7s in the next MBA, but then you have other issues.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Intel's chipsets are the real bag of hurt for Apple. Intel isn't natively supporting USB3 until next year at the earliest, maybe even 2012! And Intel won't allow integrated graphics from anyone with their Core iX series chips except their own less attractive offerings. These two things, I believe, make it incredibly hard for Apple to make the computers they want to release.

Do you want great processors and crap graphics? Or do you want cheaper older processors and much better graphics? It's a compromise Intel forced on the industry. Same with USB3 vs. LightPeak.

Unless Apple figures out how to build a 13" with a Core iX and dedicated GPU with a cool thermal threshold and low PPW, Core iX isn't going to happen.

I totally agree. Apple pretty much has to use something else than Core iX CPUs for an ultraportable, there is no other option, really.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Durnaurion View Post

I totally agree. Apple pretty much has to use something else than Core iX CPUs for an ultraportable, there is no other option, really.

unless they have some deal to get a low wattage ix that no one has heard of yet (didn't they do that with the core 2 when the air came out?) they would have to switch gears to something like AMD fusion or they will just come out with a core 2 with a little more oomph. probably the later.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    'The source indicated it is "boxier" like the iPhone 4.'

The current wedge design isn't an efficient shape, in terms of volume vs. footprint. Apple could make the new MBA more like a thin MBP by getting rid of the taper. That would allow them to reduce the thickness at the hinge. Of course, this assumes that Ive went for overall slimness instead of slimness at the "leading edge" like they did with the current generation.

Steve could do the same old manila envelope reveal. But this time he could pull both the 11.6" and 13.3" models out of the envelope! Or maybe he could first pull out the 13.3" model, talk about it, an d say "Oh, and there's one more thing..." put the 13.3" back in the envelope, and take the 11.6" model out. That would be impressive.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

unless they have some deal to get a low wattage ix that no one has heard of yet (didn't they do that with the core 2 when the air came out?) they would have to switch gears to something like AMD fusion or they will just come out with a core 2 with a little more oomph. probably the later.

Even if they did, they would have to use some sort of dedicated graphics solution which consumes power and space while generating more heat. Plus, it's probably a bit of a performance overkill for an ultraportable...
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Get it replaced; it's clearly defective.

Don't bother asking him. He doesn't have one and is just trolling.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    curious - are you speaking from experience? or just from the literature?
  • Reply 39 of 59
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Don't bother asking him. He doesn't have one and is just trolling.

yes, abster2core, I do have one, and that is my experience with it. and yes, I keep brightness down, airport off when not in use and I'm not the biggest graphics or streaming user...
  • Reply 40 of 59
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1)The only way I can see that mockup being 10 hours of more on video playback is if they used one of those 10W Core-i7s in the next MBA, but then you have other issues.

How about a dual core A4? Nobody's talked about that, and if Apple unveils it on Wednesday, it'll grab the market (and Intel) by the throat. The A4 is already driving the iPad, iPhone 4 and Apple TV - so why not?