Source: Leaked MacBook Air photo is of new 11.6-inch model

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    tomorrow will be quite the interesting day; i like what i'm seeing and reading about the MacBook Air thus far.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    The right side port is eSATA/USB combo port.

Lenovo used an 11.6 screen in an x200 for testing, why? Cheaper to toss a small screen in a production machine to test. In fact the x100e with a 10" screen and atom CPUs are available in other countries. Speaking of which you want a net book PC done right, the x100e is it. Full size keyboard, discrete graphics, dual core... Ok battery life sucks but the keyboard and matte screen with 3G more than made up for it. Most of all it's not creaky and cheap feeling.

The pic shown though looks like a 13" screen to me. Howerver the amount of chips indicates core series intel or AMD. The amount of batter power there, apple could install AMD dual core neo CPUs and meet the lowered price point, radeon 4xxx series graphics and direct I/o to ram and HD... It's open to speculation I guess. But without a better shot one can only assume.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

If they are doing what I think they're doing, which is loading the OS onto this SSD, then its a very smart idea.

It only has an SSD so the OS has to go on it. If they have instant cold-boot, it will be interesting to see how they chose to do it. My guess would be using the same thing they have with the current laptops with the grey bar that loads - it's some sort of memory dump.

If the SSD part is extremely fast then it will appear instant-on. They can do that by writing to the 4 memory chips on the board at once. Unlike normal RAID, it might actually benefit the SSD as it balances out the wear on the parts.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Yeah it's like all the haters suddenly went full retard.

this is just a notebook with the same internals, but smaller thinner.

Yea, that'll sell....

Just as well as a $2000 iPad would have.

Why not a dual-core Atom? Is that too....affordable for ya?

No matter, we all know how this plays out. Apple sells an over-priced Netbook, after the niche market dies out they stop selling. Apple covers its ass like last time by saying the Netbook market is bad race to the bottom blah blah....

Meanwhile $500 iPads continue to sell which apple thinks is purely due to their closed platform Apple store blah blah and not the price point.

Let's not pretend that Apple is unable to produce a nice $500 Netbook. ASUS can, HP can, hell even Dell can. Apple could clean their clocks, but choose not to engage because they're small-minded and worried about Macbook sales. Customers aren't to be served but squeezed.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

So, we will get a Apple Netbook?

No, because unlike Netbooks, the experience of the new Air will not suck...
  • Reply 46 of 55
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakino View Post

Apple has made a full size keyboard in a laptop with a smaller footprint before, the Powerbook G4 12 inch. Odds are, the new rumored 11.6 inch Air will look similar around the keyboard, with the newer chicklet design of course.

Sigh... an Intel version of that - at last? One can hope!
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I have no doubt an 11.6" notebook from Apple will have a full-size keyboard. I'm more concerned that it have a decent size trackpad! That's one good reason for the screen to be 16:10 instead of 16:9. I've used a netbook for a couple of years and my only real gripe is with the small trackpad. I'm about ready to replace it with an Apple designed mini laptop if the price is right.

I think you forgot that the trackpad usually resembles the screen in term of aspect ratio. So, with a 16:9 instead of 16:10 screen, the trackpad would be 10% shorter without really losing size. If you add the missing button to that, you should have enough space for a satisfying user experience.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    12.1" 16:9 ratio screen.

Fits the scale perfectly and allows edge to edge bezel of glass.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Durnaurion View Post

I think you forgot that the trackpad usually resembles the screen in term of aspect ratio. So, with a 16:9 instead of 16:10 screen, the trackpad would be 10% shorter without really losing size. If you add the missing button to that, you should have enough space for a satisfying user experience.

If the base of the notebook is 11.25" wide, at 16:9 that means a depth of about 6.32". That allows about 1.5" for the trackpad. The 13" MBP trackpad is 3" deep.

Of course, Apple can make the case as large as they want, but that kinda negates the purpose of using a smaller screen.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    At least your wait will be short.

As to the pic, the leaker called the unit a 13" AIR I'm not sure why everybody is trying to convince themselves it is a smaller machine. Also about this leak, the prototype is from the orevious year and likely got canceled for some reason. I mean really think about it, the design was likely laid down in 2009 and brought into reality some time in 2010, that is pretty old if you ask me. Personally I think the pic is a plant.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

There's probably no better mac apple has created than this one. I got mine used a few years ago, and I am so sad it's nearing eol for me. I was about to buy an air, literally stopped in the last minute, a week ago, so I hope this upgrade is worthwhile.

Whatever they come out with it ought to be considerably faster than that old machine. However I don't think the AIRs will fillfull the wishes of many here an offer up high performance chips. The whole point of AIR is thin and light combined with long battery life. I just don't see the Intel i series veing successful in that regime.

Like it or not I'm still leaning towards AMDs Bobcat based Fusion, especially in the 11" inch machine. It just seems like the best product for the machine class. I know a lot of people dismiss AMD but Intel has been a failure in the AIR due to thermal throttling.

Quote:

Please apple make it right this time.

As I've said in other threads I'm excited about this machine due to the idea that we will see a lot of innovation in the unit. I'm not even in the market! Two models are likely to debut in the size ranges already suggested in this thread. Size doesn't interest me to much as being old the larger screen is more useful. What does interest me is the heavy refactoring of the guts of the machine. It should tell us a lot about where Apple is going with its other laptops.

My biggest fear for many of you, that are potential customers, is that the built in secondary storage will be to thin. Even 256GB is thin these days. Knowing Apple storage is what they will get stingy on, to meet the price/profit point. Further I expect that price point to be a lot cheaper than many here suspect or even wish for. I could see a price point of $799 with Bobcat in the box.

Oh well about ten hours to go. I will then know how far off I am.

Dave
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

If the base of the notebook is 11.25" wide, at 16:9 that means a depth of about 6.32". That allows about 1.5" for the trackpad. The 13" MBP trackpad is 3" deep.

Of course, Apple can make the case as large as they want, but that kinda negates the purpose of using a smaller screen.

Hm, more like 2" actually, since the Keyboard would be 4,3 inches (including margin). And I think 2" are fine for a 11,6" screen. My Dell Mini 10 has a 1,4" trackpad and while it suckz, because it's just a bad tracking device, the size is not a problem at all (and I got FAT fingers! )
  • Reply 52 of 55
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As I've said in other threads I'm excited about this machine due to the idea that we will see a lot of innovation in the unit. I'm not even in the market!

Prey tell, who is and at what price point?

The MacBook AIR didn't exactly fly off the shelves.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Interesting, they actually did make an 11.6" model after all and they got a 320M graphics chip inside both - one of the few machines of this size that can play Crysis if not the only one.

The 11.6" model is 16:9 and the 13" is 16:10 so the 11" one is almost the same width to fit the same components in, just a bit shorter.

I didn't expect them to make a smaller model as it might have gone against the reasons they had for making it 13" in the first place but keeping the width the same meant they keep the full keyboard.

It's going to suck for portrait images with 768 height but most screens these days do anyway.

Obviously the instant-on feature is that they don't turn it off. It's flash so they don't have to, can't believe I forgot that. That's why they give the standby time.

From the marketing video, I didn't know Assassin's Creed 2 was out for the Mac either and Splinter Cell Conviction is coming mid-November.

I reckon the 11" was built specifically to get the price down. I was sorta hoping they'd be able to drop the Macbook for the new MBA. They start at the same price now so maybe Macbook users will start to jump to the 11" Air but until it's a 13" and more than 1.4GHz at that price, I wouldn't expect large numbers to jump to the Air. At least the have a 4GB RAM option.

They've made it clear this is the future of the lineup though so it will come in time. They jumped a bit early with the Flash developments. Maybe they are doing Samsung a favour and clearing their old inventory before the 25nm stock comes along. I'd like to see what performance they get out of the part. They said double the speed but the last ones were benchmarking at 30MB/s sequential write so even on the motherboard, this is slower than the last generation x25m sequential write, which is poor.

I don't know why they can't write to the 4 Flash chips at once to get >300MB/s like Sony do. It's not as if you can get a better 3rd-party upgrade. If you're going to fix something to the motherboard, at least build it well. 60MB/s is only what a standard hard drive gets. At least read performance will be up.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Interesting, they actually did make an 11.6" model after all and they got a 320M graphics chip inside both - one of the few machines of this size that can play Crysis if not the only one.

The 11.6" model is 16:9 and the 13" is 16:10 so the 11" one is almost the same width to fit the same components in, just a bit shorter.

I didn't expect them to make a smaller model as it might have gone against the reasons they had for making it 13" in the first place but keeping the width the same meant they keep the full keyboard.

It's going to suck for portrait images with 768 height but most screens these days do anyway.

Obviously the instant-on feature is that they don't turn it off. It's flash so they don't have to, can't believe I forgot that. That's why they give the standby time.

From the marketing video, I didn't know Assassin's Creed 2 was out for the Mac either and Splinter Cell Conviction is coming mid-November.

I reckon the 11" was built specifically to get the price down. I was sorta hoping they'd be able to drop the Macbook for the new MBA. They start at the same price now so maybe Macbook users will start to jump to the 11" Air but until it's a 13" and more than 1.4GHz at that price, I wouldn't expect large numbers to jump to the Air. At least the have a 4GB RAM option.

They've made it clear this is the future of the lineup though so it will come in time. They jumped a bit early with the Flash developments. Maybe they are doing Samsung a favour and clearing their old inventory before the 25nm stock comes along. I'd like to see what performance they get out of the part. They said double the speed but the last ones were benchmarking at 30MB/s sequential write so even on the motherboard, this is slower than the last generation x25m sequential write, which is poor.

I don't know why they can't write to the 4 Flash chips at once to get >300MB/s like Sony do. It's not as if you can get a better 3rd-party upgrade. If you're going to fix something to the motherboard, at least build it well. 60MB/s is only what a standard hard drive gets. At least read performance will be up.

Consider to buy some Mac, Marvin. Not that it's the best computer ever; still, it's very interesting computer design approach.