Mac OS X Lion will auto-save.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does that mean Apple might make the close-window button also Quit the app? Like on Windows.

It's certainly a possibility.

(why did I mention the word Windows, that's asking for trouble round here)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I hate that with more emotion than the English language can represent.

I'm perfectly fine with auto-saving like on the iPad, but no quit on close, please.

Apple already has this behavior for the applications with which it makes sense. There's no reason for that nonsense to spill over any further.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Does that mean Apple might make the close-window button also Quit the app? Like on Windows.

Given their instant-on marketing, I'd say they'd rather leave the apps open all the time like they do on iOS.

The iOS home screen is translating into launchpad, the rest of the Dock into the iOS application switcher. In iOS, the apps don't close as they are managed by the OS.

The desktop OS can similarly determine if an app with no open documents hasn't been used for a long time and is holding into too many resources, the resources can be purged.

If you close a Photoshop document in fullscreen mode you wouldn't expect the app to quit. If you close a PDF in Preview, you wouldn't want the app to quit either.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Wow all of you bring up some good questions. Originally, I liked the thought of hitting the close button and exiting out, but I see the other points as well. About it still be running in background.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Given their instant-on marketing, I'd say they'd rather leave the apps open all the time like they do on iOS.

The iOS home screen is translating into launchpad, the rest of the Dock into the iOS application switcher. In iOS, the apps don't close as they are managed by the OS.

The desktop OS can similarly determine if an app with no open documents hasn't been used for a long time and is holding into too many resources, the resources can be purged.

If you close a Photoshop document in fullscreen mode you wouldn't expect the app to quit. If you close a PDF in Preview, you wouldn't want the app to quit either.

This would cause issue if you can't close app's like Photoshop. Takes up a lot of RAM. I hope we can still "close apps" like we usually do now. Although, I don't think we need to be able to close the window and the app closes. I like to keep simple app's open all the time. Like my web browser. But sometimes I like to close the window(s).
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

(why did I mention the word Windows, that's asking for trouble round here)

Why the hell would you want such a stupid way of handling applications? when I close a window it is closing a document not the whole application. If I want to quit the application I'll quit the application and not the other way around. Windows is application centric, Apple Mac is document centric. What has worked in the Apple world has worked because it is the sane default that makes sense to any person who hasn't been indoctrinated in the assbackwards way in which Windows operates.