Review: Apple's 2010 11.6-inch and 13.3-inch MacBook Air

Comments

• Reply 61 of 132
    [QUOTE=photoeditor;1744084]

Great Post

And the SD slot sits on the USB bus rather than the PCI or ATA buses, leaving no overhead to take advantage of the superior speed of SDXC.

Really? That sucks. That blows away my argument for software on SD. Now I fully understand that USB software stick backup thingy. Probably costs a lot less and in the MBA it has no speed disadvantage. Thanks for the information. Wouldn't dissuade me from buying a MBA but would explain my future frustration why it takes 5 times longer to download a photo SD to an MBA over my iMac. Not worth removing the card from the camera since I seem to be all thumbs trying to get those things in and out of my camera. Long term though I still doubt the future of USB on Macs but I think SD will be around for a while.

Brian
  • Reply 62 of 132
    Hi,

How you create that nice photo frames? Is it hand made or some Template? What application you use?

Thanks for answers,

Tomek
  • Reply 63 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakino View Post

Can the article be updated to show if it's possible to plug in the mini displayport and USB on one side, and only the magsafe power on the other side? Both Ars and Apple Insider have made a issue here, where I suspect there isn't any if the USB cord is used on the same side as the displayport connector.

I thought the same thing. It certainly looks like plugging the DisplayPort and USB in together on the same side would alleviate a lot of the awkwardness.
  • Reply 64 of 132
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

All this complaining about what these machines lacks is rather stupid. I seriously wish people would freakin' STOP complaining about these computers missing a few of the items such as FW and GE. These are meant to be ULTRA portables ... ULTRA!! If you need all the inputs and outputs, dvd drive, and so on and so on get a MBP, period.

STOP look in the mirror and realize you don't have a handle on everybodies needs. Gigabit Ethernet is actually very important if you travel a lot it gives you an option when WiFi doesn't work, is to slow or unreliable.

Plus it is a lower power solution and it comes free with the chipsets. For many it is a big deal.

Quote:

Without a doubt, people are missing the point of these computers!

Nope, not at all, I'm actually impressed with these machines but the lack of an Ethernet solution is a real concern. Some legacy hardware is just harder to give up than others. Ethernets widespread use puts it into a category where it will need to be supported for years from now.
  • Reply 65 of 132
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

STOP look in the mirror and realize you don't have a handle on everybodies needs. Gigabit Ethernet is actually very important if you travel a lot it gives you an option when WiFi doesn't work, is to slow or unreliable.

Plus it is a lower power solution and it comes free with the chipsets. For many it is a big deal.

Nope, not at all, I'm actually impressed with these machines but the lack of an Ethernet solution is a real concern. Some legacy hardware is just harder to give up than others. Ethernets widespread use puts it into a category where it will need to be supported for years from now.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's as dire as your'e making out. After all, if the concern is having access to ethernet connections when WiFi is slow or unreliable, why the insistence on Gigabit? A USB/Ethernet adapter is still going to be faster than WiFi, so it's more of a slight inconvenience over wired Gigabit than a complete show stopper.
  • Reply 66 of 132
    Quote:

Ok, I stopped, looked in the mirror and saw one superfly (yes I said superfly) dude! Thanks for that; but anyways, I digress ...

For every single input you add, you will have to make the computer just that much bigger and that's not where Apple is going with this computer. Do you really think a majority of travelers are going to need a Gigabit Ethernet? What are you going to be plugging that into on the go? There is a very small connector that turns your USB into a ethernet (problem solved), which covers internet connections if WiFi is not available w/o having to build a bigger laptop. It's a tiny lil' thing and works well.

Ok, I can admit my 'stupid' comment was a bit harsh, but I still stand by my assessment that to want all input/outputs on the MBA would FORCE the computer to be bigger, and with bigger comes weight. If you need all the hardware, then just move up to a MBP.

And lastly, can anyone name a product on the market that is as small, light, fast, and capable, and has all the inputs and outputs everyone is talking about? I'm seriously curious.
  • Reply 67 of 132
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    The 11" MBA is what I have been waiting for a long time, and the reason why I have a Hackintosh Netbook running OS X.

However, 128GB SSD isn't enough. Why not offer the 256GB option for the 11" model, too?

And 8GB RAM is key for swift multi-tasking, because the 4GB I have in my netbook now prove not to be sufficient for my work habits. And a backlit keyboard, it's a Mac, and the most missed feature on my netbook.

With these changes, we'd have a sell, as it is, I'll make do with my EeeMac 1201N Hackintosh for the time being.

If Apple really wants to convince me: add a FW interface, even FW400 and with the small port (no bus power).

Reason: I work with FW audio interfaces for on-location recording. I wish I could use a smaller, lighter, less noisy Mac instead of my current MacBook Pro.

That lacking optical drive is not an issue, there are USB drives, WiFi sharing, etc. so that's a great thing to leave out.
  • Reply 68 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

However, 128GB SSD isn't enough. Why not offer the 256GB option for the 11" model, too?

FWIW, see: http://www.lowendmac.com/bookrev/10br/1029.html#16

I thought the USB adapter for the old 'SSD stick' was a nice touch.
  • Reply 69 of 132
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Since lots of people are pointing out errors in the article, I thought I'd throw in 2 that I didn't see when I scanned the first page of posts:

The graph says 10 inch and 13 inch air.

The article mentions the old air uses a 1.8 inch harddrive, also used on the iPod Mini. However, the iPod classic is the one that uses a 1.8 inch harddrive. The iPod mini used a 1 inch harddrive.
  • Reply 70 of 132
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Since lots of people are pointing out errors in the article, I thought I'd throw in 2 that I didn't see when I scanned the first page of posts:

The graph says 10 inch and 13 inch air.

The article mentions the old air uses a 1.8 inch harddrive, also used on the iPod Mini. However, the iPod classic is the one that uses a 1.8 inch harddrive. The iPod mini used a 1 inch harddrive.

Excellent catches.
  • Reply 71 of 132
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Ok, I stopped, looked in the mirror and saw one superfly (yes I said superfly) dude! Thanks for that; but anyways, I digress ...

Well after 12 hours of work you don't want to know what I see.

Quote:

For every single input you add, you will have to make the computer just that much bigger and that's not where Apple is going with this computer.

After a point yes! However Apple hasn't reached that point on the AIRs yet. Besides who says the connector for the RJ plug has to look like the standard recpticale on most computers.

Quote:

Do you really think a majority of travelers are going to need a Gigabit Ethernet?

Who knows. The point is Gigabit Ethernet is standard with many chipsets these days. If you are going to install the port you might as well support it. Beyound that the better your Ethernet support is the more likely you can get some sort of connection.

In any event the reason I'm so focused on this is that I seem to have an ability to pick the hotels with the worst WiFi going. We are talking so bad that sending an E-Mail is a problem.

Quote:

What are you going to be plugging that into on the go? There is a very small connector that turns your USB into a ethernet (problem solved),

Well problem solved if you buy one, remember to bring it along and never loose the adapter. Further you best hope the USB port isn't speed limited by other devices.

Quote:

which covers internet connections if WiFi is not available w/o having to build a bigger laptop. It's a tiny lil' thing and works well.

Isn't the whole point of the AIRs is traveling light? I really don't want another tiny little thing to carry around.

Quote:

Ok, I can admit my 'stupid' comment was a bit harsh, but I still stand by my assessment that to want all input/outputs on the MBA would FORCE the computer to be bigger,

All yes, an Ethernet port isn't all it is one small connector.

Quote:

and with bigger comes weight. If you need all the hardware, then just move up to a MBP.

We are talking something suitable for an RJ connector, where is the weight.

As to that MBP, the new AIRs actually excite me about what is coming there. However if one looks at the small AIR as a better iPad to supplement the main machine then the discussion is slightly different.

Speaking of which the AIRs actually come up short in one manner with respect to iPad, that is no internal cellular networking solution. Now you may try to throw the same thought processes at me and say the AIR would get bigger, however IPad doesn't suffer in this manner.

Quote:

And lastly, can anyone name a product on the market that is as small, light, fast, and capable, and has all the inputs and outputs everyone is talking about? I'm seriously curious.

You know that is a good question! The problem is I haven't looked at a non Apple laptop in years and really have no idea what is out there. In any event it is generally true that most PC laptops come better equiped with ports than Apple devices. At times it looks like Apple goes out of its way to be stingy with ports.

In any event remember I'm very impressed with the new AIRs. As far as the little guy goes the lack of Ethernet would not stop me from buying it. What would stop me is the small internal storage which in this case appears to be artificial.

There was a time when I'd rush out to get the latest hardware, or upgrade a machine just because. No more as it is way to expensive for one. More importantly sitting back and thinking a bit prevents making rash decisions and buying hardware that doesn't really meet a need.

This brings up an interesting issue, the current iPad is a bit lacking so I've been holding off. The new AIR could be considered a better IPad, but how will that comparison hold up when iPad 2 comes out. When your current computer works fine it gives you a lot more time to define your needs and justify the device.
  • Reply 72 of 132
    [QUOTE=Mazda 3s;1743963]Now I can understand that cost savings statement for the "entry level" 11" model, but I'm less forgiving for excluding it from the more expensive 13" model.

---------------------

Actually the 11" and 13" are the same price if you compare apples to apples (as it were). 11", 128G, with upgrade processor (1.6) and 4G RAM is $1400. 13" (1.86) with 128G and 4G RAM is $1400.
  • Reply 73 of 132
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:

If they had an alternative that worked as well or better, it would make sense to leave it off. But as of now, there is no good alternative. As such, I think it was a blunder to exclude it.
  • Reply 74 of 132
    Quote:

I think that the HP Slate 500 is what you have in mind.
  • Reply 75 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

Actually the 11" and 13" are the same price if you compare apples to apples (as it were). 11", 128G, with upgrade processor (1.6) and 4G RAM is $1400. 13" (1.86) with 128G and 4G RAM is $1400.

If you look at Intel’s price list the 1.6GHz ULV is $289 and the 1.86GHz LV is $284. That makes the slower CPU on the 11” MBA slightly more costly than the faster CPU on the 13” MBA (based on Intel’s price list per 1000 units).

When I try to consider the cost saving from some other components, like the 11” display over the 13” display, and the additional costs from shrinkage of the 11” model it’s hard to get a good grasp on which model yield’s the most profit for Apple. They are too close.
    SL9600 (6M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 2.13 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) $316

SL9400 (6M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 1.86 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) $284

SU9600 (3M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 1.60 GHz 800 MHz FSB 45nm) $289

SU9400 (3M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 1.40 GHz 800 MHz FSB 45nm) $262
  • Reply 76 of 132
    Thanks for stating what to me is obvious, but apparently not to so many others. My original MBA has served me perfectly for nearly 3 years (bought first week in 2008) and I've just ordered an 11", 128, with upgrade processor (1.6 which is the same processor as my current one) and 4G RAM. And yes, I'll miss the backlit keyboard, but for $400 LESS than I paid 3 years ago I'll be getting a 128G SSD rather than an 80G HDD, 2 instead of one USB and I could have bought the 13" for the same $1400 if I had wanted it.\\

My only question is: Will my new MBA be as fast as my wife's Summer 2009 with 2.13, 128 SSD but only 2G RAM? My guess is that it will be far faster. As well as being, again, $400 less expensive.
  • Reply 77 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

My only question is: Will my new MBA be as fast as my wife's Summer 2009 with 2.13, 128 SSD but only 2G RAM? My guess is that it will be far faster. As well as being, again, $400 less expensive.

The CPU clearly won?t be faster, but your machine will likely feel faster. I?m still on the fence on getting the 11? MBA. I don?t need it as my 13? MBP is my main machine, but I do want one.
  • Reply 78 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

It's amazing how many disasters happen around you with Apple products. The people I know with MacBook Airs have not experienced any of those problems...

My first week MBA did lose its HDD fairly early on and 27 months in the hinge cracked, but I still love it and just ordered a new 11" (128, upgrade processor, 4G). What can I say, it's all I want or need. ALWAYS, always buy AppleCare extended 3 year warranty and eBay your machines after about 34 months so the new owner has a few months to see if any additional repairs are needed.
  • Reply 79 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The CPU clearly won?t be faster, but your machine will likely feel faster. I?m still on the fence on getting the 11? MBA. I don?t need it as my 13? MBP is my main machine, but I do want one.

Are you willing to accept the reduction in screen height?
  • Reply 80 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

I think that the HP Slate 500 is what you have in mind.

Oh really? Do you think the slate can compare with the MBA? Where is the keyboard? And I said as fast ... the slate WILL be a slug!