Europeans wake up an hour late as Apple fails to fix iPhone alarm clock bug

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t_k View Post

I think the lesson here should be obvious. It's time to stop this DST madness!

I think the obvious lesson here is that programmers are stupid, they haven't even learned to master clock and calendar.
  • Reply 22 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LukeWorm View Post

I think the obvious lesson here is that programmers are stupid, they haven't even learned to master clock and calendar.

Obviously not, given that it has worked in every single release before this one. It couldn't have been a simple error. Not at all.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not_Sure View Post

It happened to me also..but all you have to do is delete your alarm setting and re-enter it (just as the one reader said).

But how could a bug like this be entered? (in perl hehe)

$alarm_time = <STDIN>; # mine is 0830

if ($continent ne 'North America' && $daylight_savings == 1)

{

$alarm_time += 100;

}

It doesn't seem like the alarm app and clock app are in sync concerning how they evaluate time.

Yeah, as minor as this bug seems to some people it's a pretty embarrassing one, especially to have gone so long without a fix.

If Apple doesn't majorly up their response time to vulnerabilities & bugs it could really burn them, right now I think their heads are a bit to big to notice though.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    ollywollyw Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alextr View Post

I don't know about you but I'm in Cyprus my iPhone was set corrreectly and the alarm i nthe morning woke me up the correct hour!

It still works correctly if it's a single event alarm.

The problem with the alarm going off late only affects repeat alarms.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t_k View Post

I think the lesson here should be obvious. It's time to stop this DST madness!

Finally, some common sense!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by avdbauw View Post

How can anybody be an hour late? Since on sunday morning the clock was set back from 3 A.M. to 2 A.M. the alarm should go off an hour early if it did not adjust!

BTW, in the US Daylight Savings Time goes back to "Standard Time" (i.e. normal, non-shifted time) on the first Sunday in November: next weekend. Europe jumped the gun.

But your point is well taken, "Fall Back" means you'd get an extra hour of sleep.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not at all. I just find it humorous that he'd pitch a run-of-the-mill alarm clock as an alternative to an iPhone's alarm functionality.

I thought your response was fine. Mr. Dogmatic chiding you is funny though
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not_Sure View Post

It happened to me also..but all you have to do is delete your alarm setting and re-enter it (just as the one reader said).

But how could a bug like this be entered? (in perl hehe)

$alarm_time = <STDIN>; # mine is 0830

if ($continent ne 'North America' && $daylight_savings == 1)

{

$alarm_time += 100;

}

It doesn't seem like the alarm app and clock app are in sync concerning how they evaluate time.

Yes. That code would have the same problem because it would be evaluated before DST hits. Most likely it is pre-evaluating DST and then just storing the time in seconds since 1970. They essentially forgot to add a scheduler (with the right interval) that reevaluates this number based on DST periodically. Still a pretty embarrassing bug. Hope they add a few unit tests after this.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkpaw View Post

In London, my iPhone 4 (4.2 beta 3) got me up at 6:30AM as set. My partner's iPhone 4 (4.1) also went off at the right time.

I'm also in the south of England (and commute into London) and neither of my 5:57 and 6:00 alarms went off this morning, despite the clock having adjusted as it should Sunday morning. Instead they went off at 6:57 and 7:00, just as I was boarding the train to work. Not impressed, that really is a schoolboy error on Apple's part

I have an iPhone 4, running 4.1 (8B117)
  • Reply 29 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

This sucks. Everyone will have to use an ALARM clock, instead of their PHONE to wake them up.

I don't know about you, but my ALARM clock works great.

Skip

So if Apple decides you don't need to rely on your phone for an alarm then the whole world should accept that too? I guess Apple steers the clock business now. What a company.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    I agree, end the madness. End the age-old practice of adjusting the clock!
  • Reply 31 of 81
    Mexico went off DST on Sunday and my iPhone 4 worked fine.

But who sets an alarm on a Sunday anyway?
  • Reply 32 of 81
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Bugs happen but I'm surprised that Apple didn't advertise the workaround in advance of it affecting people.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Bugs happen but I'm surprised that Apple didn't advertise the workaround in advance of it affecting people.

Or maybe 4.2 had its release date slip and they forgot about it. Seems that this would have been worth its own fix. Maybe the Alarm app should just be moved to the App store since governments seem to want to change DST every year anyway.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Obviously not, given that it has worked in every single release before this one. It couldn't have been a simple error. Not at all.

I suspect it's a very simple error. If the clock and calendar has been working so well in the past, why are they fiddling with it now? Someone slipped up.

Remember when Microsoft had this problem with Zunes not being able to switch to 2010? How we all pointed and laughed because Zunes couldn't tell the time? There's irony for you.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Apple don't acknowledge bugs, no matter how small and stupid they are.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

I'm in North America and my alarm went off an hour EARLY this morning. I was so confused.

Same here!
  • Reply 37 of 81
    I think we just found a trans-chonomic device, otherwise known as a "Time-Gate"
  • Reply 38 of 81
    My alarm is set for 8:20am every weekday. Today, my alarm went off at 7:20am. It caught me off guard, but I went back to sleep. I then woke up without an alarm at 8:38am. Thankfully, my job allows me to come in and leave when I like, but this is annoying! A few of my co-workers have iPhone 4s, and none of them had the same issue. We tested it a few times, reset the phone, tested a few more times, and it still did it. We found a solution online that said to remove all alarms and reset them. This did fix the issue after I tested it out.

Funny thing is...I'm not in Europe. I'm in the US (Indiana). Our DST doesn't end until next weekend.

Weird and completely annoying.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Apple don't acknowledge bugs, no matter how small and stupid they are.

Exactly...Steve's response was "Your holding it wrong" Maybe hold it differently and your alarm will work! :-) Sorry people couldn't resist! :=)
  • Reply 40 of 81
    DST is stupid. Everybody needs to stop doing it.