Apple Dictionary app Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So for some reason when I try to use Apple's Dictionary app, it also cuts off the the reference at the bottom and I am not able to scroll. See the screenshot below for an example of what I am talking about.

As you can see, it cuts off at the bottom and there is no scroll bar, and no up/down buttons on the right. Anyone have any suggestions? This problem has persisted since Mac OS 10.5 and is not being fixed by software updates. I am currently running Mac OS 10.6.4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I actually have the same issue and have not been able to find a solution. Although, it seems the problem occurs only when Internet-based sources are called up by the app in answering a query.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Try pulling the window extension handle, gents.

• Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Try pulling the window extension handle, gents.

If you had tried, you'd know it doesn't work. The thing only loads/renders what fits the size of the window when the query is posited.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Taken from - http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...00525215150144

From your browser, go to Wikipedia's main page and log in. Use the 'remember me' feature (register if needed).

In the upper right corner, click on 'New Features.'

Under the 'Take Me Back' section found in the lower middle of the next page, click the 'click here' indicating you would like to turn off the new features.

(Optional) Fill out their little survey asking why you want to turn them off and update.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tangobob View Post

Taken from - http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...00525215150144

From your browser, go to Wikipedia's main page and log in. Use the 'remember me' feature (register if needed).

In the upper right corner, click on 'New Features.'

Under the 'Take Me Back' section found in the lower middle of the next page, click the 'click here' indicating you would like to turn off the new features.

(Optional) Fill out their little survey asking why you want to turn them off and update.

As indicated by others in other forums, this did not work. I sure hope this is fixed in Lion as it's rather annoying. Defeats the purpose of even having Wikipedia in the Dictionary app to begin with
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you had tried, you'd know it doesn't work. The thing only loads/renders what fits the size of the window when the query is posited.

So first resize the window to your desire, and then posit the query!

It's lame, but it works!

BTW, do you see the scrollbar?

(It doesn't work, but it's there, isn't it?)

• Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

As indicated by others in other forums, this did not work. I sure hope this is fixed in Lion as it's rather annoying. Defeats the purpose of even having Wikipedia in the Dictionary app to begin with

Don't know what to say. I had this problem, followed those instructions, and the issue went away.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    10.6.5 is out and fixes this. Thread over.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

10.6.5 is out and fixes this. Thread over.

Hazaa!