Apple acquires Bluetooth iOS headphone maker Wi-Gear - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think yours is the more likely scenario, in which case Apple's war chest remains intact.

Their products got pretty good ratings, and I thought they were popular.

Apple does have, or had products like these, but they didn't do well, as the article reminds us. If Apple wants to get BACK into the business with a well received product line, how better than buying a company that has one?
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crmarvin42 View Post

I got ticketed for having both ear buds in while talking on my iPhone about a month ago. I ended up getting ticketed for something else (hadn't switched my license and registration from IN yet), but he pulled me over because he saw that I had both ear buds in. I had been talking to my boss and just ended the phone call when I heard the siren. He assumed I was listening to music until I offered to show him the call log.

I fail to see the difference between headphones and a stereo system that rattles every car within 100 feet, but no one ever said that laws had to make sense or be consistent. Even nonsensical laws can cost you.

It's been shown in several studies, that talking on the phone with or without a headset, or handheld, is just as likely to cause a crash as being legally drunk. It's pretty obvious as to why. When you're on the phone, you pay more attention to the conversation than you do to music, or a person in the car with you. This has also been shown to be true.

People who insist on talking on the phone while driving prefer to act as though this isn't true, but then, so do people who are drunk.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin

Yup, now they are down to just $50,999,950 in cash!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Fixed that for ya

The last time I was in math class $50,999,950 = millions. It does not equal $50,999,950,000 (billions) so I'll fix it for both of you! $50,995,000,000.00. If WiGear cost them 5 million. I doubt they paid 50 million for them.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Don't say that too loud. Wearing headphones in the car may be illegal - it is in Virginia.

Thanks, I should have said one earbud!

Best
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You think Apple now only has $51 million left after this purchase? Wow! I hope this company has some REALLY good patents.

lol exactly.. You guys fixed him like 4 times but its only 51 MILLION, not billion.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

It's a holdover from the days when douche bags thought they looked really important because they always had a bluetooth headset on.

I remember when people thought they looked important because they had a pager on their belt! Oooooh, so cool!

Or even further back when people carried eleven pens in their shirt pocket, just in case the first 10 ran out of ink!

Best
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

The picture of their product in the article doesn't looks like anything Apple would be interested in. I'm guessing that the company actually went out of business and then Apple hired one of their lead engineers.

That was my first thought when I saw the photo, too. Pretty ugly stuff.

But I did not think they just hired the head engineer. Good point!

Best
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Of course, the company still bundles its own wired headphones with iPods and iPhones, and also sells a set of $79 premium In-Ear Headphones for users looking to upgrade.

I like those in-ears, but they have a serious problem. After a few weeks the left channel weakens and eventually stops working. This is a known issue and they have replaced mine twice already. Now it's happening again. I am about to go back to my local Apple Store and get a third set. The last set didn't come in a box with all the fixins, just the shrink wrapped ear buds, leaving me to wonder if they were someone else's bad ones that had been "reconditioned." I keep hoping that Apple will figure this out and issue a new model that eliminates the problem once and for all.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

lol exactly.. You guys fixed him like 4 times but its only 51 MILLION, not billion.

What's only $51 million? Not Apple's cash and investments.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I like those in-ears, but they have a serious problem. After a few weeks the left channel weakens and eventually stops working. This is a known issue and they have replaced mine twice already. Now it's happening again. I am about to go back to my local Apple Store and get a third set. The last set didn't come in a box with all the fixins, just the shrink wrapped ear buds, leaving me to wonder if they were someone else's bad ones that had been "reconditioned." I keep hoping that Apple will figure this out and issue a new model that eliminates the problem once and for all.

I had that problem with one pair, but for the price they are pretty reasonable. The fact that they will replace them so easily makes the fact they could be faulty a non-issue for me.

However, I later bought Klipsch headphones and they sounded better (though cost more), but the cord is over a foot longer than Apple?s and they got in the way. Once those ripped apart from being snagged I tried to find in-ear phones that were shorter in length but all the ?good? ones we?re as long or longer than the Klipsch.

I tried going back to Apple?s phones but I was spoiled by the better sound quality and now use Shure in-ear phones. The cord is still long, but they are thicker cables than the Klipsch and don?t seem to be as problematic. The base is nice, but I?m not a fan of the wa they fit in the ear canals. The Klipsch are the best fitting for me, with Apple?s being a close 2nd, but being docked points for the rubber ends flying off the headset with yanked too hard.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Their products got pretty good ratings, and I thought they were popular.

Apple does have, or had products like these, but they didn't do well, as the article reminds us. If Apple wants to get BACK into the business with a well received product line, how better than buying a company that has one?

It would make more sense for Apple to invent and patent new ideas that fill this space, then license their patents to other manufacturers or sew it up so competitors would have trouble stealing food from Apple's plate.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Good. Maybe Apple will start taking Bluetooth seriously. And maybe they will start to produce some high quality headsets.

with airplay this is a whole new ballgame.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    They should've bought Jabra. The Jabra Stone is perfection, and very Apple-like in its simplicity and one-button-touchsensitivityness.

As said above, they must own some patents that Apple needs to have in the warchest.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crmarvin42 View Post

I got ticketed for having both ear buds in while talking on my iPhone about a month ago. I ended up getting ticketed for something else (hadn't switched my license and registration from IN yet), but he pulled me over because he saw that I had both ear buds in. I had been talking to my boss and just ended the phone call when I heard the siren. He assumed I was listening to music until I offered to show him the call log.

I fail to see the difference between headphones and a stereo system that rattles every car within 100 feet, but no one ever said that laws had to make sense or be consistent. Even nonsensical laws can cost you.

And yet it is legal for a deaf person to drive, or to drive with a radio loud enough to drown out all external noise
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I had that problem with one pair, but for the price they are pretty reasonable. The fact that they will replace them so easily makes the fact they could be faulty a non-issue for me.

UPDATE: Read no further if you are squeamish. The left bud was plugged with earwax. Poked it out with the end of the jack and they worked fine again. Apologies to Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Personally, I would love to have just a simple pair of good quality, old-style, over the ear type headphones that were also wireless. I would never have guessed before I started looking for them last year that they are just not to be found anywhere.

Why do Bluetooth headsets always have to be:

- mono

- bad quality in general

- "futuristic looking" (ugly)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

Still looking out for a Bluetooth headset that I can use with my iPhone and go running without worrying about sweat ........

Have you guys seen/considered the Jaybird headset? (I know, who??) I got the Jaybird SB1 a while back, and I've been very happy with it. It's an old-school over the head style headset that grips tight enough to stay on your head. Great sound quality, and I can use it with my iPod Touch (music/games), my BlackBerry (making calls), my PC (music). Much better for calling than any of the little earpieces I've tried, and wireless freedom from the iPod while on the move is just fantastic to have. Play/pause and Track +/- buttons work. Volume control is local to the headphones.

Not a spammer, just new to the forums!
  • Reply 37 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The next nano will be a watch. Made for athletes.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

The last time I was in math class $50,999,950 = millions. It does not equal $50,999,950,000 (billions) so I'll fix it for both of you! $50,995,000,000.00. If WiGear cost them 5 million. I doubt they paid 50 million for them.

In North America it is definetly $51 Billion, IIRC in other parts of the world it would be Million.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

In North America it is definetly $51 Billion, IIRC in other parts of the world it would be Million.

$50,999,950 is millions of US dollars anywhere in the world and even in integers a 8 digit number is still in the millions. It would have to be a 10 integer number to be in the billions.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Very cool prospects for wireless headphones made by Apple.