Inside AirPrint: Apple's printing system for iOS

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JuanGrande View Post

I'm an idiot, I guess. I downloaded the files in question but I can't figure out how to find these paths in order to place the files.

/usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf

/usr/share/cups/mime/apple.convs

/usr/share/cups/mime/apple.types

I double click my HD and see Applications, Library, System, Users, etc. I'm not sure where to start digging to find the /usr directory.

Thanks for any help

Apple hides stuff from normal users... In Finder you can get there with the menu item Go -> Go To Folder. Just enter "/usr" without the quotes in the box that comes up.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    Quote:

I'm an idiot, I guess. I downloaded the files in question but I can't figure out how to find these paths in order to place the files.

I double click my HD and see Applications, Library, System, Users, etc. I'm not sure where to start digging to find the /usr directory.

Thanks for any help

You are not an idiot, you just don't know UNIX. I don't either, but I just spent an hour learning what we do need to know, and now I have AIRPRINT and it is fabulous! Here are the commands to type from the Terminal application. (make sure the three files are in the "Downloads" directory (no other folders) and in place of "HOMEFOLDER", type your home folder name.

cd /usr/share/cups/mime/

sudo rm apple.convs

sudo rm apple.types

(make sure all three of the new files are in the downloads folder)

sudo cp /Users/HOMEFOLDER/Downloads/urftopdf*/usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf

sudo cp /Users/HOMEFOLDER/Downloads/apple.convs*/usr/share/cups/mime/apple.convs

sudo cp /Users/HOMEFOLDER/Downloads/apple.types*/usr/share/cups/mime/apple.types

enjoy
  • Reply 43 of 54
    I have a Home Network with (2) iMac's and (1) Mac Mini. All three computers are now updated to 10.6.5

My sole printer, shared on my network is a Canon i960, physically tethered to the Mini.

Of course, my iMacs can print to that printer connected to the Mini.

So,

1) Do i change the files on my Mac Mini only, since it is the machine with the printer?

2) Do I change these files on all three computers?

3) Or does it not matter at all, as long as any one Mac, has these files replaced?

Thanks
  • Reply 44 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyctree View Post

You are not an idiot, you just don't know UNIX. I don't either, but I just spent an hour learning what we do need to know, and now I have AIRPRINT and it is fabulous! Here are the commands to type from the Terminal application. (make sure the three files are in the "Downloads" directory (no other folders) and in place of "HOMEFOLDER", type your home folder name.

cd /usr/share/cups/mime/

sudo rm apple.convs

sudo rm apple.types

(make sure all three of the new files are in the downloads folder)

sudo cp /Users/HOMEFOLDER/Downloads/urftopdf*/usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf

sudo cp /Users/HOMEFOLDER/Downloads/apple.convs*/usr/share/cups/mime/apple.convs

sudo cp /Users/HOMEFOLDER/Downloads/apple.types*/usr/share/cups/mime/apple.types

enjoy

OK, a few additions/clarifications/corrections to this post. When you extract the files extract them all out of the zip into the downloads folder. Using it as it extracts itself creates a subfolder called mimes. That's not what you want for the commands listed above. So in downloads you should have all three of the files:

urftopdf

apple.convs

apple.types

I found I was having permissions issues, so I logged in as root user. sudo should work but it didn't. heres the link for root user from apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1528

now, open terminal under applications > utilities

su root

(it will ask for password)

now your at the command prompt

cd /usr/share/cups/mime/

(space between cd and /usr)

rm apple.convs

rm apple.types

cp /Users/HOMEFOLDER/Downloads/apple.convs /usr/share/cups/mime/apple.convs

(space between convs and /usr)

cp /Users/HOMEFOLDER/Downloads/apple.types /usr/share/cups/mime/apple.types

(space between types and /usr)

ls - l This will show you the file that you copied there exists...the easiest way it to look for today's date

cp /Users/HOMEFOLDER/Downloads/urftopdf /usr/libexec/cups/filter/urftopdf

(space between urftopdf and /usr)

cd /usr/libexec/cups/filter

ls -l This will show you the file that you copied there exists...the easiest way it to look for today's date

That should help a few folks. Works perfect, that's to the previous poster for the structure, and to chuck for the files
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post

HERE'S THE AIRPRINT FIX

All the credit goes to @stroughtonsmith for the hard work in identifying the suspect files Apple pulled due to a patent troll.

Twitter: ChuckG_

Enjoy the AirPrinting!

Hmm yeah thank you some more for them hmmm the stuff .. cough cough... you know hmm .. thank You
  • Reply 46 of 54
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

This is obsolete when google releases its web printing technology. Print from any device to any printer in the world without drivers. I wonder if apple will accept that technology considering it is ten times better than theirs, or whether they will ignore it.

You'd trust Google to index every print job you send to a printer?
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:

Thanks for any help

To enable the Finder to view hidden files; run the two commands below in a terminal:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

Now the Finder will show you all the hidden files and directories. To change anything in these folders you will need to confirm the change with your username and password.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    i followed all the instructions so as to make AirPrint work.

everything went smoothly UNTIL i had to print. my iPhone now sees the printer (which before it didn't) but nothing is ever printed when i try to. to make it more complicated, the same thing now happens when i try to print from my iMac. it says "waiting for printer to become available" (which it is). if I revert everything to the original settings my printer works again. I've tried twice and same result

I have an OKI DATA C3600 Color printer. On an iMac OS X 10.6.5... anyone has a suggestion?

thx!
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think this is going to be problematic. My tests with Ghostscript on Linux have proven that it is really difficult to get accurate results when converting web pages to pdf due to differences in fonts, transparent alpha channel pngs, ajax etc. The days of printing of urls may have past.

It's URF, not URL.

URF appears to be a proprietary raster image format that is output from the iOS device, picked up by the Mac with a shared printer, and converted to PDF. Then the PDF is sent through CUPS to the appropriate shared printer.

A partial clean-room reverse-engineering effort of URF is documented here.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cabouchard View Post

OK, a few additions/clarifications/corrections to this post. When you extract the files extract them all out of the zip into the downloads folder. Using it as it extracts itself creates a subfolder called mimes. That's not what you want for the commands listed above. So in downloads you should have all three of the files:

urftopdf

apple.convs

apple.types

I found I was having permissions issues, so I logged in as root user. sudo should work but it didn't. heres the link for root user from apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1528

su root

cd /usr/share/cups/mime/

rm apple.convs

rm apple.types

ls - l This will show you the file that you copied there exists...the easiest way it to look for today's date

ls -l This will show you the file that you copied there exists...the easiest way it to look for today's date

That should help a few folks. Works perfect, that's to the previous poster for the structure, and to chuck for the files

thanks it works great on my imac with epson usb printer
  • Reply 51 of 54
    I can't get this to work. I moved the files manually, per the readme file and rebooted and deleted my printer from my settings then re-added it. When that didn't work I downloaded the files again and tried to move them through the console. iPhone still doesn't see the printer.

Does this fix require that the printer be connected directly to the Mac?

Edit: Nevermind, I tried it again using the root user and all is well. Neat!
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Ok well I got this to work form my iphone however whenever I try to print from my mac its just the first page no matter what I do. Would anyone happen to have the original apple.convs and apple.types files?
  • Reply 53 of 54
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Print functionality is already showing up in third party apps.

I can confirm ColorSplash... any others?
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cabouchard View Post

urftopdf

apple.convs

apple.types

su root

cd /usr/share/cups/mime/

rm apple.convs

rm apple.types

I got through all the steps, but now I am having no luck even with regular printing. Can someone help me get back to square one? I am assuming somehow I managed to delete the apple.convs and apple.types files but didn't properly install the replacement files. Help